What's new

Enthusiast Annoyances

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Before I start this off, I just want to say that this topic is not designed to "name and shame" any people in particular, and any post that is aimed at any particular person will be removed.

Having said that, what do you commonly see or hear from fellow enthusiasts that gets on your tits? I'll start us off with a few of mine to give you the idea:

1. The idea that because it's Schwartzkopf, it's automatically labeled as "awesome", "amazing" etc. Yeah, no. Fair enough, respect where it's due for old Anton; he built some great rides, but he's also responsible for a lot of mediocrity and downright crap that's also out there, only we're not supposed to say that.

2. OMG TOGO/Chinese Knockoff deathtrap!!!! LOL! - Lazy and obvious and always written in an "if I go for that old cliché, it shows that I know my stuff about coasters" kind of way. It doesn't; it shows that you've got no mind of your own, especially when written by people with zero experience of the things.

3. name of ride is the best ride type in the world!!!!! - Really? You've ridden all of them then? None of us are qualified to make those statements, though it's especially irksome when written by somebody without a passport.

So, what pisses you off about some of the crap enthusiasts like to spout from time to time?

STC

Mega Poster
4. 'trigger-happy' enthusiasts. A lot of enthusiasts seem to be more than happy to declare how much they'd like to see a historic old ride bulldozed in favour of whatever the shiny new development from B&M or Intamin is this month. Often because it's been running poorly for a few seasons in a row, even though it could just as easily be restored back to good quality again, and would be in time. A lot of people seem to be gunning for the Big Dipper at the moment (because it's had three or four poor seasons out of eighty nine), and I've seen quite a few people wanting to spite the Nash for similar reasons. When they're gone, they're gone.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
STC said:
4. 'trigger-happy' enthusiasts. A lot of enthusiasts seem to be more than happy to declare how much they'd like to see a historic old ride bulldozed in favour of whatever the shiny new development from B&M or Intamin is this month. Often because it's been running poorly for a few seasons in a row, even though it could just as easily be restored back to good quality again, and would be in time. A lot of people seem to be gunning for the Big Dipper at the moment (because it's had three or four poor seasons out of eighty nine), and I've seen quite a few people wanting to spite the Nash for similar reasons. When they're gone, they're gone.
I think the opposite is a worse problem. Trying to save old crap from redevelopment is ridiculous. Granted if the ride is particularly special, or good, then yeah sure... But why did we care about Southport again?

kimahri

CF Legend
Post Removed

This is the only warning you're going to get guys, don't talk down about other groups or indiviudals. - Joey

marc

CF Legend
I agree Gavin.

I for one got off the coaster in Hansa and felt let down, tried it again later and still thought it failed apart from the loop.

I don't mind vekomas yet people see them a go yuk.

B&M bore me yet everyone bangs on about them.

It's the same with parks. Asterix and pa are totally over rated I just don't get the love they get.

So

5. Park fanboys.
6. To much love for a make of coaster
7. Hate rides before even riding

Ben

CF Legend
Joey said:
STC said:
I think the opposite is a worse problem. Trying to save old crap from redevelopment is ridiculous. Granted if the ride is particularly special, or good, then yeah sure... But why did we care about Southport again?

This.

Rip Nash out and replace it with a fountain <3

CRAZY ASIAN COASTER makes me want to die, but not as much as CRAZY EUROPEAN COASTER. DI€K HEAD AMERICANS!

"It doesn't matter how many coasters you've been on", yeah, that's cause your count is seven, shut up.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
marc said:
7. Hate rides before even riding

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so much of this...

"It's going to be a Gerstlauer/modern B&M/have crap Intamin shoulder restraints (yes I'm being hypocritical, but at least I moan about these things with backed up evidence) hence it'll be ****!"

Thankyou future dweller, now instead of bitching on a coaster forum, can you tell us the secret of time travel? That'll sort out the world...

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
8). Judging new rides before they are complete

9) judging rides after completion during testing

10)(already said but I'll reiterate). Judging rides before riding them

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Ben said:
Joey said:
STC said:

This.

Rip Nash out and replace it with a fountain <3
This is why you didn't deserve those Yankee Candles. </3

Nash isn't world class by any stretch of the imagination, but it is the best we have here. There's other crap at Blackpool I'd get rid of first. Like, I dunno, one of their many CLOSED ATTRACTIONS that just sit there rotting and taking up room or looking old and messy.

Closing Noah's Ark wound me up to no end. Because it still runs. It still is on, rocking away. You'd think, if they were going to close it, they'd at least remove it and renovate the entrance. But no. Just leave it there, looking aged and dirty. Great job.

Is Trauma Towers like, closed forever? How much sodding space does that consume. And the JOKE that was the removal of Space Invader.

That park is such a joke.

bmac

Giga Poster
11. Spouting rumors like they have connections to what's "going on"
12. Saying they know something and then going hush hush when actually asked because "I'm not allowed to speak about it"

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Ha!

Yes! Those "I'm not allowed to say anything" asshats can **** right off! If you're not allowed to say anything, why post to say that? Douche.

Snoo

The Legend
Fanboys.

It's like being racist IMO. What is wrong with EVERYTHING else that only your one, mediocre park is special? It's not. It's just a park. Get the **** over it.

peep

CF Legend
^^^^Lol, Blackpool is such a disaster of a park </3

The whole judging before riding/visiting is probably my biggest gripe.

kimahri

CF Legend
I'll read the top part then and drop the name and shame. To be honest I'll probably get wrong again but, meh, you want an opinion and aplace for dicussion and frankly there isn't really anything other than 2 things.

One are park chains like Cedar Fair and Six Flags who just seem to bash out rides consistantly with out giving much though to the actual park it's self (and character to a ride but that's like uh, subjective or individual perspective... Personification? I 'unno). I guess a few people have picked up on my distaste for Kings Dominion and Six Flags America. There were some good and interesting rides in both to say the least. Dominator and The Togo, Shockwave? in KD and Joker's Jinx and Batwing in SFA but it's the actual park it's self in regards to the weather and layout. There's just no place to hide, from anything. It's just wide open and barren for you to bask in the sun and probably die.

Was going to gripe about internal digs at members old and new but then I remembered the COD community and relised it happens everywhere and trivial compaired to that.

Removed part of the post for blatantly ignoring a warning. - Joey.

Lucy

Hyper Poster
People who can't accept that all enthusiasts have a difference of opinion - if we all liked the same things it would be a boring world :)

Also I agree about people who judge rides before they've ridden them - I like to approach with an open mind and then decide afterwards :)

STC

Mega Poster
14. Declaring a new ride to be the best ever, just because of the thrill of the new. Remember seeing quite a few friends' post in the first few days of The Swarm, declaring it "my new number one in Britain!" Then quietly admitted a few weeks later that it probably only just scrapes the top ten. Quite a few times I've seen people call a new coaster "a Nemesis beater" and then quietly backtrack (see: Oz'iris).

Snoo

The Legend
Sheep.

Dude.. have your OWN opinion.. not one of the group or others who rode before. Of course, sometimes the way something rides is true.. it just happens to be bad.. but when someone starts giving handys about a ride and you thought it was ok.. but you agree quietly just because.. you are a lesser human being and a piece of **** IMO.

peep

CF Legend
^Lol, so true.

Snoo said:
^Well lets be honest.. we are all guilty of it.

Yeah, but to an acceptable extent. I think some people take it too far.

I'm very guilty of being a fanboy but not to the extent of refusing to say anything bad about certain parks etc or refusing to admit that another coaster is better than what I'm fangasming over at the time.

Error

Strata Poster
I really get annoyed with "Full of themselves" **** parks. These are the parks that claim they are the single greatest thing since cream cheese, yet when you get there, youre underwealmed. For some reason, my favorite parks have been the little ones, that have a few nice rides, and great people. Of course there are a few exceptions, but I still believe the best parks dont give you bs.

Sent while out and about