What's new

Energylandia | Abyssus | Vekoma Shockwave+ | 2021

UP87

Mega Poster
I love how most of the new Vekoma standard layouts work with trenches. That's clever and completely acceptable as these coasters are not travelling coasters but are built to last and it's okay to adjust the landscape to the coaster layout.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
The POV really highlighted how much of a sprawling layout it is.

I know there's another Shockwave model out there, but it feels unlike most other new Vekoma rides, which usually look and feel more tight and compact with their layouts. In a way, it's made me more excited to ride it, because it will show how versatile their newer rides are.

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Energylandia's official YT page have a video/live going up tommorrow at 19:00
the description seems like there going to do a full walk around talking about the area, video link & description below:

'You, too, are looking forward to opening #aqualantis, our newly discovered world in the light of the flash, Excited and full of euphoria, today we share with you another portion of material recorded at the construction site of the new zone! May the energy of this episode be with you! p.s. and the energy of Whitney Houston: P What about this episode?

Before the new season starts, and our team will perfectly pamper every detail, we invite you for a walk around the aqualantis zone. Names such as Light Explorer or Tidal Wave Twister for fans of our Park are no longer a secret after last weekend, but Kris decided to preserve this knowledge for you - you know, such learning through play. This excitement that accompanies us in our daily work, to finally give back To you, this wonderful piece of land turned into a new land is simply unimaginable. We are very happy that you accompany us in making our dreams come true, so we can also make yours come true'

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Must say I’m not sure about this one from the POV - the first section seems a bit meandering. Compare it to, say, Pantheon, and it feels a little ‘beige’.

Look forward to riding, of course!!

Christian

Hyper Poster
Must say I’m not sure about this one from the POV - the first section seems a bit meandering. Compare it to, say, Pantheon, and it feels a little ‘beige’.

Look forward to riding, of course!!

I also don't think it will take Pantheon or Velocicoaster or even Maverick, although it might take all of them in theming. But in Europe it does have a shoot to be the best launched coaster. We will see how it takes on Helix and Taron. Abyssus is at least the first coaster who will have the theming to get close to Taron, no other intense coaster in the world is as well themed as Taron.

My personal guess it that I will prefer it to Helix due to the launches being more intense but Taron is too OMG.

Luca B

Mega Poster
I also don't think it will take Pantheon or Velocicoaster or even Maverick, although it might take all of them in theming. But in Europe it does have a shoot to be the best launched coaster. We will see how it takes on Helix and Taron. Abyssus is at least the first coaster who will have the theming to get close to Taron, no other intense coaster in the world is as well themed as Taron.

My personal guess it that I will prefer it to Helix due to the launches being more intense but Taron is too OMG.
So I guess Taiga just doesn’t exist now?

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Also unless there’s some secret amazing theming work that hasn’t been revealed yet, it is leagues behind Taron for theming. Flat plain buildings do not a Taron make.
If it's anything like the mockup I saw during my visit to the Jora Vision IAAPA booth, it's going to be amazing. If it's plagued with budget cuts, then hmmm, flat buildings and water it is.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^Trains look good, ride looks good, area looks good... but somehow it's just not pumping my nads like the trio of big Intamins due to open this year. Well, the trio of Intamins in the Western world anyway - I'm sure there's a few more being built in Asia somewhere but I mean Kondaa, Pantheon and Velociwotsit.
Nah, not in any urgent rush to go back to Energylandia. Not for this.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
^Trains look good, ride looks good, area looks good... but somehow it's just not pumping my nads like the trio of big Intamins due to open this year. Well, the trio of Intamins in the Western world anyway - I'm sure there's a few more being built in Asia somewhere but I mean Kondaa, Pantheon and Velociwotsit.
Nah, not in any urgent rush to go back to Energylandia. Not for this.
I feel this. The three Intamins you mention are huge AAA coasters, the cream of the crop. All three are pushing the envelopes of coasters forward. Velocicoaster takes a bit of Taron and Taiga and adds about 20% to it. It's a long bold layout and elements like the outer bank and final roll look amazing, the second half is an incredible set of elements taken at great pace. Pantheon is possibly the most innovative of the lot. It builds on Soaring With Dragon by putting the swing launch partway through the layout after an inversion which feels novel and the rest of the layout is huge elements that push the boundaries. The outer bank is enormous, there's a zero G stall and it hits the brakes with such speed despite having a long ride time. Finally Kondaa is a very innovative coaster. In comparison coasters like Geforce, Hyperion, B&M hypers seem so basic. It's a big step forward layout wise for a chain lift hyper.

And then Abyssus. It looks fantastic and will most likely be absurdly intense. But it doesn't bring much new to the table. It pushes Vekoma forwards and may well be their best looking and most ambitious coaster to date but it doesn't push the industry as a whole forwards. The bulk of the layout looks similar to Lech/Formula and the large loop/batwing seem reminiscent of the big B&M multiloopers.

I'm super excited to ride it and I'll be there this year like I was for the Hyperion opening and the Zadra opening but it's a different conversation to the coasters Howie mentioned and there's nothing bad about that. It's no negative reflection on Abyssus that it can't run with the big Intamin boys.