What's new

Election 2010!

^You're playing with fire if you vote BNP though - they're not placid, and they're not a protest vote, they're a bunch of racist idiots.

Don't do it. The risk of giving those utter ****s a platform is too great.

marc said:
The problem is there are only 2 parties that have enough votes to get in.
They may not - it's so close this time, votes for anyone will have an impact.

But the parties are like the big four in the Premiership, where they get so big and far ahead the smaller parties almost can't get a word in.

Ben said:
I kinda want to vote BNP just cause it'd be funny to see Northampton on the news for being a bunch of rascists...

BUT TWO OF US CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. SPREAD THE WORD!

But seriously, it'd be hilarious if BNP got more seats.

And so the election has been officially called: 6th May.

To quote Ian's twitter:

Finally, Gordon Brown has handed in his 30 days notice. Now for 4 weeks of hype followed by 5 years of the same, just in a different dress.

START THE FANS PLEASE! </O'Brien>

This is so heading for a hung parliament! Massive number of floating voters out there, much more than usual, which means they have to target more than just the marginal seats this time.

Interesting that parliament has been scheduled to return on 18 May, 6 days later than is normal after an election. If they still can't decide by then who is to be PM, the Queen has to get stuck in! :lol:

So the initial Labour strategy is to attack Cameron as "Upper Class" and suggest only Labour can keep the recovery on track.

Conservatives are sticking to their "Labour will hurt you with NI rise" BFG, backed up by a LOT of big business (snowballing nicely for them).

Lib Dems are saying it's "the beginning of the end for Gordon Brown", and are actually coming up with the most innovative policies - they just need to get them heard!

One of the BBC News@10 reports last night said "it's a choice between 2 potential PMs", hope the Dems had a go at them about that...

We are being geared up at work for a hung parliment, they are saying its the worse thing that can happen for companies that reply on sales.

Our chairman is Conservative anyway, Lord Harris, so we all know who he wants us to vote for. We are waiting for the speach on how they will help businesses. Tbh I just find all that a load of crap, no party has yet said what they will do to help.

Labour have now got rid of the increase on Cider.

We shall see what happens anyway.

marc said:
Labour have now got rid of the increase on Cider.
No they didn't - they were forced to drop it by the other parties! Plus the 50p tax on having Broadband.

Also the Conservatives blocked the proposed PR Referendum.

BUT the bloody Digital Economy Bill looks like getting rushed through in the next 2 days - which is ****ing appalling - because the Tories have backed it. Only the Lib Dems came out against it.

^Yeah when I first read it this morning it said they have dropped it, then the truth came out lol.

Just read all the parties policies for economy growth etc. Dear oh dear not one of the major parties I agree with. People that are married to you have to pay a different tax to people that are not? Just asking due to this "recognise" marriage and civil partnerships in the tax system.

Lib Dem for their council tax will probably cost people more as it will be on the income of the person and people in the house.

Its just not clear how the conservatives are going to generate growth, can someone please tell me how they will pay back debts if they are not charging us more money.

UKIP is just bad but I do agree to the fact we would not have to follow european law and as for BNP well need I say more. I can see why they want to deport people that have committed a crime and are not from the UK though.

Problem is I agree with the identity card if it includes the drivers license and passport. If it does not then I dont want to know.

So all in all god knows who I will vote for.

^At least with the Lib Dems they're being clear about their economic policies - the Conservatives are not. I really don't want Osborne as Chancellor either!

However, the Dems are relying on Labour being truthful about potential savings.

Brown just proposed a "PR" referendum, elected House of Lords, voting age down to 16, recalls for bad MPs, more power to backbenchers....courting the Dems much are we? :p

BTW, the two Southend seats are big Conservative strongholds Marc! "Rochford & Southend East" is Labour target #84.

I may vote though as of yet I am still undecided. The main 3 are as bad as each other so I may vote on an odd ball or something.

Slayed said:
START THE FANS PLEASE! </O'Brien>

Can't believe no-one noticed the Crystal Maze love! Have some from me <3

And yay for Her Maj. - of course, her advisors will no doubt push for Mr Liberal to get the job (due to Brown being useless and the Tories being out of favour with the Royals since the reign of George III). Still not sure whether that's a good or bad thing to be honest. Hmmmmmmm *scratches head*

Slayed could not agree more Conservatives are being very un clear on just about everything.

At the moment Thorpe Bay is being run by an independant and where I am is Labour yes the end of my road is Conservative. Southend is so split up its untrue they really need to get Leigh, Westcliff, Kursal, Thorpe Bay under one area cause there are 4 parties running an area no bigger than 20 miles its stupid.

As far as I know I get to choose whether to vote at home or in my university constituency. The joys of Oldham East and Saddleworth, we have managed to vote Phil Woolas aka Immigration Minister. Yep you can all blame where I live for him. Though I find it really ironic that in 2001 we had a large enough vote for the BNP for everyone to get worried. The Lib Dems are second for us and not that far behind.

I think I am going to vote at home because I am voting Lib Dem. I think it is just the chance they need to get their voices heard for a change even though them changing their policy on tuition fees has really annoyed me.

Although I'm VERY apathetic about this election (possibly wont vote in my area as there's no BNP, just the big 3 and UKIP), I have placed a few bets...

Labour to win overall majority - 10/1, £1.50 stake, £16.50 potential return.

BNP to win a seat - 11/4, £1.50 stake, £5.63 potential return.

Tories to win Eastleigh (from Lib Dems, my constituency) - 20/1, £2 stake, £42 potential return.

I doubt any of them will go my way but it's one way of making the election exciting for me. If all three are correct, that's £65 from a £5 bet...enough to offset future tax rises for about a month :D

I may place more nearer the time but I didn't want to bet on the dead certs (such as Cameron as PM) as there's no fun if there's no risk.

Dunno the latest poll shows Cameron as 2% down on what he needs to get in.

The next 4 weeks are going to be fun lol.