What's new

Election 2010!

Smithy said:
Because there's more chance of Labour stopping Conservative getting in than there is Lib Dem, or any other small party.

There's no parties that appeal to me either, so it's the lesser of two evils really.

Do you WANT current labour in though? If not, don't vote for them but vote for somebody else entirely out of the left field. If they see that people don;'t want them (they may still win, but if they're losing votes harder core left wing parties - then they will have to change their ways to recapture those votes. That means leaning further from their (let's face it) pretty much right wing stance they currently have.

Don't choose an evil at all. Go for something which will have an affect to "alter" the evil and bring it more into line with your thinking - it's a good job that we took the vote off Mr D. Vader ;).

After a little conversation with Plod. Yeah, I can't vote. Woops... I don't really understand this stuff much either.

Actually you might find there are some interesting local candidates to vote for, away from the main 3.

For example, Esther Rantzen is standing in Luton as an independent! She'll probably get in too.

I reckon independent candidates will do very well this time, as so many people have had enough of MPs of all flavours with their noses in the trough.

I have to have someone in, and of the two I'd rather Labour. Whilst I fully agree with what you've said in terms of showing them you want change, it's just not going to be effective enough to make it worthwhile. For every one of me showing them that I disagree with their policies, there's twenty people sat at home watching the Alan Titchmarsh show thinking "OMG DAVID CAMERONZ WATCHEZ X FACTORZ HES LIKE US INNIT HE GETZ MA VOTE, WHAT NUMBER DO I TEXT DAVID CAMERON 1 TO?".

If enough people had the same idea as you then it'd be hugely, hugely effective. But it never happens; one person can't make a difference.

Too young to vote (boo!), but I have very strong political views.

Labour, no matter how much **** they have put us through these recent years, have served us good and well. The education system has vastly improved, teen pregnancies have gone down, unemployment (except for the recession) has generally been down.

Socially, Britain has been a much better place under New Labour...However, New Labour is getting old.

The biggest mistake that labour made was electing Gordon Brown without a general election. Many opposition MPs were against it, as were the public. Let's not forget how well he did the first year or so he was in power: There were the floods in Cumbria etc. He took time off his holidays to see those in need. There was a foot and mouth scare. He did very well ensuring the outbreak was contained. In fact, he began to climb up the opinion polls very quickly.

But then something went wrong, something we partly have to blame. The Recession.

That, I'm afraid, is the lasting memory of this government, and it's not one people want to look back on positively.

So here come the Conservatives, slagging off Labour like she's your prostitute sister. Walking proud and tall, not only do they speak well, but they aim to deliver. Granted, David Cameron is a bit of a tosser ("I've never voted Tory, but David Cameron's head is so shiny..."), but he speaks with confidence and authority. He has the qualities of a good leader. That is was appeals to the public-elect so much.

Granted, some of the traditional Tory policies a few years ago were scrapped, leaving some voters a bit confused. But, like Labour did back in the 90s, Tory is scrapping traditional views and going for what the country wants.

What the country wants That's where the pitfalls of Tory come in. Yes, they need to secure votes in the best ways possible, but is it really beneficial to the country in the long-term to promise so much of what we want rather than what we need.

The Liberal Democrats have always sat in the corner with a tiny voice, almost as if asking for their lolly back while the bullies battle. This hasn't been at all good for them, and hasn't allowed them to get their voices heard. Their policies aren't the best, let’s face it. They believe in a change of government, yet they show little in the way of impressing the public.

However, the Lib Dems were simply great last night. Vince Cable spoke with confidence and with knowledge, and I found myself nodding furiously whenever he spoke. The platform he was given last night will defiantly boost the Lib Dems in the polls; after all, it has seemed quite a two-horsed race the last few years.

The TV debates will work very much in the Lib Dems favour. If all goes as smoothly as it did last night, we could be in for one of the most exciting elections in living memory.

I predict it will most likely be a hung parliament. Which was the Lib Dems swing in terms of favour and backing out of Labour and Conservatives, I have no idea. I would predict they would favour the Tories having listened to them last night and in recent days, but I could be wrong.

I'll just finish by saying I have no political bias at all, and quite frankly, I think that being under a Labour government would benefit us more than being under Conservatives. But I'm not the one voting ;)

[/Ciall's Geeky Politics]

Slayed said:
You might actually find there are some interesting local candidates to vote for, away from the main 3.

For example, Esther Rantzen is standing in Luton as an independent! She'll probably get in too.

I reckon independent candidates will do very well this time, as so many people have had enough of MPs of all flavours with their noses in the trough.

Look up Brian Binley, and you'll see why I dislike Conservative on a local level as well. Absolute buffoon. Although he did send me a birthday card when I turned 18. I dislike cheap bribery.

There's few local candidates with any sort of exposure or level to voice their opinions on.

Oh, and one thing that I picked up on during the last PMQ's and budget.

Cameron spends ages upon ages telling us how Labour have knicked Conservative policies...

And then tells us that Labours policies don't work, and are useless.

Errrrm David, look at that again.

I have no idea who I will vote for at the moment, but I will vote.

Anyone that does not vote has no right to moan about how the country is run :)

Also years ago my manager had a right go at me for not voting, many people in the world would love the chance to vote but cannot due to laws so make the most of it and vote.

We only ever have 4 according to parents as our area ALWAYS votes conservative so no-one bothers to go for it except the main parties and the BNP.

I kinda want to vote BNP just cause it'd be funny to see Northampton on the news for being a bunch of rascists...

I refuse to EVER vote Conservative, and Labour have been more than sh!te recently.

Hmmmmmm, Turd Sandwich or Giant Douche?

My political ideology lies more on the right of centre, although, in reality, I am more of a liberal. Urgh.
Tory is good because I believe that people who enterprise, contribute to society and engage in social respect for one-another should be rewarded.

However, the modern day Tory party is too much like the bunch of twats we have in power now.

I am currently considering voting BNP. If that makes me a racist, then so be it. I know I'm not, but my theory is to vote for a right wing fringe party in the hope we have a hung parliament. In a hung parliament, the governing party is obliged to call a general election soon after forming a collation government. (Although that's not written in a constitution, it seems to be the way things are done.)

If the extreme right parties gained votes, I'm hoping the Tory party (who are traditionally right wing) may alter their strategy and start making Britain British again. No, that doesn't mean kicking out all non-whites, or ripping down mosques, what I want is a stop to immigration for unskilled workers, a ban on all government literature being available in different languages (that includes European languages before anybody cattleprods me), a removal of all associations that start with the word "Black" (although you may find this hard to believe, in my eyes there is no such thing skin colour, creating specific targeted groups prevents integration!) and that British people have the first and best access to the NHS, benefits, care and protection.

If they changed to appease those who votes for right-wing parties, then I'd vote Tory.

But that won't happen.

In reality, I will be voting on who plans to keep motoring and beer costs down (and keeps the 24hr licensing laws). Tax cuts don't interest me as they never happen in "real terms", everything else goes up to compensate. Also, who ever promises to stop wasting money, locking prisioners up for good and destroys our big brother society.

I wont vote Labour, I won't vote Lib Dem and I will most certainly not vote for the Green Party.

That leaves the "fascist" parties and the Tories. I'll probably make a gut decision when I'm in the voting booth.

I will probably vote UKIP 1st time round and then see how the other parties change their policies.

I still feel we need to get out of Europe, we are not even in it properly.

The problem is there are only 2 parties that have enough votes to get in.

marc said:
The problem is there are only 2 parties that have enough votes to get in.
Exactly. That's why I'm planning to vote for a right-wing fringe party to send a message to the big parties, namely the Tories to buck their ideas up.