What's new

Efteling | Baron 1898 | B&M Dive Coaster

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Re: Efteling to get B&M Dive Coaster for 2015!

This is the best news I've heard in ages. Efteling is crying out for a large thrill ride and a dive machine will suit nicely. No messing about, just simple yet kick arse. And no doubt it will be oozing with theming. I can't wait to see what they do with it. Just ahhhh <\eftelingfangirl>

ThomVD

Giga Poster

andrus said:
TerminatorFMan said:
The lack of quality coasters is disappointing for a park of that scale and you are right in the sense that it will be an excellent addition for the park.
I 100% agree with you on this! I beleive Efteling is the single most expensive park in Europe (entry and parking included), and for what reason? It's huge, yes. It's pretty in some areas, yes. But it severely lacks in rides! It really only got Vliegende Hollander (which is awesome!) and Joris and de Draak (which is ok), but other than that there are only crap... The only thrill ride they got is a rough, old Vekoma Cork Screw, talk about low value for money!! Even tough they're a children/family park, I would have expected at least one decent thrill ride..

Efteling is €32. That is really cheap compared to most parks, especially the Swedish Parks. If you compare it to Phantasialand, which is a smaller park, Efteling is €13 cheaper. For Swedish parks I had to pay around €65 each. Then there's Disneyland Paris. So it's not even close. The park does have great rides, though I have to admit that it is lacking in the coaster department. Joris is the only great coaster in the park in my opinion. But the atmosphere, the dark rides, and just the magical feeling makes up for it.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster

ThomVD said:
Efteling is €32. That is really cheap compared to most parks, especially the Swedish Parks. If you compare it to Phantasialand, which is a smaller park, Efteling is €13 cheaper. For Swedish parks I had to pay around €65 each. Then there's Disneyland Paris. So it's not even close. The park does have great rides, though I have to admit that it is lacking in the coaster department. Joris is the only great coaster in the park in my opinion. But the atmosphere, the dark rides, and just the magical feeling makes up for it.

Amen to that...
Efteling is even cheaper than 'we-don't-invest-in-decent-new-rides' Walibi Belgium. Yes, it does have a lack of rollercoasters and such, though we can't complain. But as said above, it has this very different feeling than any other parks close around. And I do think that is enough to be worth the money you pay. I can even spend a day in Efteling wandering around without doing any rides. It has these very apart atmosphere which seems to work in Belgium and Holland.

andrus

Giga Poster

ThomVD said:
Haha, I must say I'm very confused :lol: I checked their webpage now as well, and it's €35 (€32 online). I swear it was €40+ when I went a couple of years ago! Plus parking was €15-20 (which is now €10 according to their webpage). Does anybody know if they have lowered their prices reacently? I seriously remember feeling robbed when I payed at Efteling...

Well, well. Could just be my mistake as well! Either way they're lacking a thrill ride and severely needs one.

Regarding the swedish parks both are €45 at the moment. I have no clue where you got €65 from?? Since €45 is the most expensive Gröna Lund and Liseberg have ever been. And while it is very expensive, it is still understandable since they're city parks. Which Efteling is not.

ThomVD

Giga Poster

andrus said:
ThomVD said:
Haha, I must say I'm very confused :lol: I checked their webpage now as well, and it's €35 (€32 online). I swear it was €40+ when I went a couple of years ago! Plus parking was €15-20 (which is now €10 according to their webpage). Does anybody know if they have lowered their prices reacently? I seriously remember feeling robbed when I payed at Efteling...

Well, well. Could just be my mistake as well! Either way they're lacking a thrill ride and severely needs one.

Regarding the swedish parks both are €45 at the moment. I have no clue where you got €65 from?? Since €45 is the most expensive Gröna Lund and Liseberg have ever been. And while it is very expensive, it is still understandable since they're city parks. Which Efteling is not.

Yeah, I think I have been wrong as well. I remembered having to pay for entry plus ride pass costs, and thought it was something like that, but looking at my planning document, it says €47, so I guess I remembered it wrong :p . Still pretty expensive though. Funny thing is, I have a swedish friend, and her mom came along with her to Netherlands and they visited Efteling, and her mom could not believe the entry was €32, she thought we were joking :lol: .

And the Efteling has never lowered the price. It has only gotten more expensive.

marc

CF Legend

Same as just about every other park then. I have never known any lower their ticket price.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

The people saying that this "huge" coaster won't fit the park need to take another look at the height.

This isn't a massive coaster. It's going to be barely over 120 feet tall, making it smaller than Krake (thus the smallest Dive Machine so far) and only about 30 feet taller than their own current tallest coaster.

I think some people are envisioning Sheikra; it's going to be comparitively very small.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I don't understand why a park like efteling would pick a b&m over a gerst? But I'm glad.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

Nice to see that the Dive Coaster appears to be getting a new lease of life after Krake, what with this and Gardaland. Probably more excited to see how they theme this than the actual layout mind you, from what I have seen Efteling seem to have amazingly immersive theming! Any ideas which area of the park it will be going in?

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster

Glad the Dive Coaster is picking up speed once again! If only it happened again with B&M flying coasters.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

Glennderp said:
Glad the Dive Coaster is picking up speed once again! If only it happened again with B&M flying coasters.
I don't understand why flying coasters aren't more popular. While Wing Riders are a lot of fun, I've always found flying coasters better. Plus surely they take up less room. Maybe it's down to cost or reliability but for me, Manta at Sea World Orlando is in my top 5.

This Dive machine will be good, no doubt, but I hope they really dress it up with theming otherwise it'll just become a generic dive coaster. But I got high hopes on good theming so I'm not too concerned about that.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Joey said:
I don't understand why a park like efteling would pick a b&m over a gerst? But I'm glad.
Because Efteling is run as a charity and is more concerned with quality for its guests and longevity of a ride than short-term cost saving for its shareholders. This is why they can build the world's most expensive dark ride, keep hold of old rides and nurture them and blow 2 million on a restaurant upgrade (thanks Peep for that fact). It's incomparable to a chain like Merlin.
<\fangirlrant>

Nic

Strata Poster

To all those saying "at least it'll be well themed"... will it though? Obviously I sincerely hope so, but something at the back of my mind it a bit concerned.

This will be the first investment made under new CEO Fons Jurgens. The ride choice in itself suggests a big change of direction for the park, and I think we can really say that it is entering a whole new era. Previously, the park's strategy was to try and build ride that were very technologically advanced, with a big proportion of the massive budget going on theming. The result was beautifully themed, but ultimately mediocre, rides that took ages to get working properly, went miles over budget and opened literally years late.

It's a tough one because Joris and Draak didn't really fit that mould. That seemed more about getting an established manufacturer to do something that, although custom, was based on an already winning formula. OK, so it still ended up having trouble and running late, but that was mostly due to the weather rather than one of Efteling's hair-brained schemes. Whilst it does have some lovely theming in the entrance/station etc, it's still nowhere near the levels of some of the park's other rides.

Then take the often rumoured Hartenhof ride. There was every indication that this would very much fit the park's previous model of ridiculous technology and even more ridiculous theming combined with ridiculous delays and an obscenely ridiculous end budget.

I had previously heard that the coming few years would see the park concentrate on consolidating what they already have rather than splashing out huge cash on lavish new rides. An era of austerity for the park, if you like. Obviously, the announcement of the Dive Machine goes against that (I think the plans for extending Bosrijk have been around for some time, so I'm kinda ignoring those). Although this is why I can't help thinking this is going to be much more in the Joris and Draak style than the more lavish rides in the park.

I don't know, I desperately hope I'm proved wrong, but I wouldn't get too excited at this stage.

P.S. Despite all that, so long as it still gets its own custom soundtrack, I'll be happy :)

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

What makes you say Joris en de Drakk isn't well themed? It has its own wooden dragon sculptures at the entrance, actual suits of armour and other period props, huge swathes of flags that fall from the ceiling as the winning train pulls into the station, it's own fully orchestral soundtrack and not to forget the 10 foot animationic, fire- breathing dragon!

If anything the least themed ride is Python, one of the older rides. It has literally no theme, I'm pretty sure no soundtrack and is also, contrary to what you say about Efteling's older rides, a thill ride and an established layout\manufacturer.

Darren B

Giga Poster

It's all about the bottom of the drop. If the theming is better than Oblivion's and Krake's then it'll be the best DM in existence. I'd have a guess that Efteling choose the DM because they could blow everyone away with the theming even if it wasn't the ideal ride choice. The new park manager/directly obviously wants to come out and make a huge statement and I think he'll do just that!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I have it on good authority that the dive coaster will be made by Zierer, not B&M as we all assume.

The family double-drop dive coaster from Zierer will be 37.5mtrs tall and themed to the Laafs, telling the tale of how the Laafs made it to Efteling from the North Pole.

I also have a feeling, because it's a Zierer, it will be a drop coaster like Verbolten. The "dive" part is probably a confusing translation although it might contain a vertical forward drop like, say, Oblivion, and a hoizonal Verbolten style drop. This is me speculating btw, I don't know about the layout or any other details.

The Laafs are characters at Efetling: http://www.efteling.co.uk/EN/attraction ... -Laaf.html

peep

CF Legend

This confuses me because I read last night that another site has been informed on good authority that it'll be going on the land behind Hollander (along the path towards the rapids, huge foresty /river area). It confuses me because that land is on the opposite side of the park from the laaf people area. Will be keeping my eye on the Efteling fansites.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

bla8989

Roller Poster

This seems to sum up whats going on,

"Efteling's new boss, Fons Jurgens, had news to announce on his first official day on the job- 36 million euros in investments aimed at boosting annual attendance to five million guests by 2020. 18 million of those euros goes to a double-drop family friendly dive coaster from Zierer themed to the Laaf people. The 37.5 meter drop ride tells the story of how the Laaf people made it to Efteling from their North Pole home and has their cave dwellings in the ride queue. The bulk of the investment money is to be spent of the Efteling Bosrijk resort, adding 400 beds to raise the total count to 1550 beds. No word on the status of the ambitious Hartenhof dark ride attraction"

Source is IAAPA

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

Ian said:
I also have a feeling, because it's a Zierer, it will be a drop coaster like Verbolten. The "dive" part is probably a confusing translation although it might contain a vertical forward drop like, say, Oblivion, and a hoizonal Verbolten style drop. This is me speculating btw, I don't know about the layout or any other details.

When you mentioned Zierer i automatically thought of the new Knobels ride.

261318d1392936175-2015-neuheit-impulse-achterbahn-zierer-knoebels-amusement-park-2.jpg

Sounds more "Dive" coastery to me. But also just speculating.