What's new

DLP future projects on hold

peep

CF Legend
Since the The Walt Disney Company (TWDC) purchased all of Disneyland Paris' debt last year we've not heard much about the resort and what's happening. Lots of rumours were spread about Star Tours 2, a Star Wars mini-land, Marvel coming to the Walt Disney Studios park amongst other things.

The latest rumour to be leaked on to several fan sites including Disney Central Plaza, Parcorama, Micechat and D-Log is that all future plans have been put on hold. Fans are guessing this could mean TWDC is creating a new masterplan for the resort. Could this mean we'll see a full-scale park renovation like at California Adventure? Still too early to tell but as you can imagine the rumour mill is going mental.

One of the many sources: D-Log

Tbh it's a good thing that its all been stopped so they can look at the big picture.

The studio park needs a total re think rather than the odd new attraction here and there.

Would not shock me to see the tour go and cars land appear like they are doing in Orlando. It's been a huge hit in California and will do well in Paris.

But at the same time I would love a new original ride.

But as said a total rework of they park is needed.

Interesting rumour, hopefully it's true. Development at DLP just seems so ridiculously slow and there hasn't been any real improvements made over the last so many years. The place definitely needs a big re-think.

I just wonder what happened, peep might know.

There was meant to be a clause in the loan that if conditions were not met Disney would run the resort.

spicy said:
Hold on, TWDC now own DLP?

What % of the shares??
I think they bought the debt, not shares. So, effectively, DLP (and all the people who own it) only have to pay back debt at TWDC's terms rather than banks. It means DLP no longer have to ask banks for permission to do things - they have to ask Disney instead!

rollermonkey said:
What is the ownership relationship between TWDC and DLP, aside from the debt issue?
Disney own 40% of DLP. There was a story last year they were going to buy out the rest but when the story came out the stock went up in price so they didn't bother!

I'm surprised that they didn't just buy the 11% necessary to have controlling interest anyways. It would have made any subsequent buyouts less dramatic.

The only issue I have with DLP is the food. Its ABSOLUTELY DIRE!!! And its not just a certain few restaurants, I paid 60 euros each (Theres 4 of us in a family, so not cheap) to eat at one of the top restaurants in the park and it was no different to one of their 24 euros restaurants..

If you like the food at DLP, then you have no taste buds.

Other than that, the park is stunning. I've not noticed much in the maintenance department apart from the obvious parts that you see being worked on by staff throughout the day. The park is super clean, I've never seen litter on the floor, the toilets are a bit gross, but I think thats normal in France (however, it shouldn't be normal in Disney). Anyway, I've never seen a clean public toilet in France in my life! Do they exist??? I mean, some of them still have holes in the ground, unless I've been peeing in public showers all this time? LOL!

Didn't think it was too bad when I went in October 2012 but I do hope that petition makes Iger take notice that things could be much better.

The restaurants closing early is the most bizarre thing. I actually took my own food into the park (swiped from the hotel buffet) but was flagging a bit by the evening. I was desperate for them to sell me some food but no-one wanted to. Even waiting for Dreams there's a captive audience hanging around to be sold snacks and drinks but no sign of any vendors.

I can't believe one of my biggest complaints is I wanted Disney to try harder to take my money!

^ When I first started going DLP back in the early 90's, during the night parades there used to be people selling popcorn and candyfloss as well as glowsticks, while people waited for it to start.

Its all gone a bit backwards.

I've heard from a reliable source that theres two ride upgrades in the next two years (practically both new rides)

It seems a different source has come through with the following information;
2015 - Space Mountain major refurb (Space Mountain Mission 3 I've heard)
2016 - Big Thunder Mountain major refurb

Its similar to what I heard, but I heard they signed a contract for Space Tours 2, apparently not.

(Although I also heard that Jack is being added to POTC sadly)

All the above needs doing. It's a pain that big thunder is down this year and then again 2016.

Jack needs adding to pirates and the dlp version is very dated now. It needs the new effects and to get the battle part working.