What's new

DLP future projects on hold

They have added lots to the studio park though.

If you look at all the main parks around the world there are often huge gaps before they add rides in them.

I just want to see stuff added in that dead space between big thunder and Indy.

I think once Ratatouille opens at the studios the focus is going to switch back to the main park.

A new Star Wars land behind Star Tours to open with Star Tours 2 and the opening to coincide with the new Star Wars movies is a huge rumour, be great if that happens.

Personally I'd still love to see a Splash Mountain style attraction at the park, would really benefit the park imo.

As for Space Mountain Mission 3? How many times they going to rebrand the same coaster as a new attraction.

marc said:
I think they will use dlp to push marvel tbh and that's what will come next.
Yeah, to be fair, they're doing a Spider-Man meet and greet this Summer (although it seems to be tied into the new Sony movie rather than Disney/Marvel)

Spidey meet and greet started yesterday with queues of 100min+ but it's only there until July14th <//3

Wow, they have a new costume! Excuse me while I book my tickets.

Orlando PotC is diabolical. So turd <//3 Paris, even sans Jack is better that that.

Yeah the pirates in Orlando is crap but the California one is not and that had jack.

Orlando was **** even before jack.

Screaming Coasters said:
^ When I first started going DLP back in the early 90's, during the night parades there used to be people selling popcorn and candyfloss as well as glowsticks, while people waited for it to start.

Its all gone a bit backwards.

They were selling flashing mouse ears before, during and after Disney Dreams last week. Candy floss and popcorn was available too until Dreams started.

I was shocked by the number of restaurants that closed early though. Okay, it's stuck on its own, forgotten and lost in a corner, but Pizza Planet shuts at 4, as do several other food outlets. We were looking for a place for food on Tuesday art about 6:00 and tried four places before we found one that either wasn't closed, or had room. Ended up in the Marionette place - which they were chucking us out of before seven because they close for Dreams!

The place needs a lot of work, but Ratatouille looks stunning. The street scene outside is bloody gorgeous. So hopefully that's a sign of things to come. It needs upkeep now though before any more real investment. It's tired and looks 20 years old in a lot of places.

^The problem with keeping it looking new is the European weather, it just causes it to deteriorate at a much quicker rate compared to in the States. In the last few years they've been changing a few materials used to see if it helps the longevity of the theming, hopefully it works out for them. The restaurant situation is silly though and I hope they make some changes for at least the busy periods of the year.

I wasn't sure if I should post the following rumour because to me all sounds like a fanboi getting excited over nothing but it may be of interest to some of you.

Link to full English article

Things to note:
- Money is on it's way from Walt Disney Company after a long period of research was created on the state of the resort
- There will be 4 celebrated seasons from 2015. Spring (started this year), Summer, Halloween and Christmas
- All hotels will receive and extensive refurbishment. Santa Fe, Sequoia have already been finished, they recently started work on Newport Bay.
- Disney Village will receive a retheme to modernise it and get a new iconic restaurant.

- Disneyland Parc will receive lots of refurbishment projects.
- Space Mountain will be closed for 6 months in 2015 to possibly return it to it's original theme and new trains will be added.
- Some point in 2015-2016 Star Tours will be upgraded to the new version
- Big Thunder Mountain will go under 2016/17 to add a further car to each train to increase capacity.
- The lake may be drained to fix the geyser effect in Frontierland

- Walt Disney Studios will receive an extensive retheme similar to what happened at California Adventure.
- Backlot to become a Marvel themed land. Rock 'n' Rollercoaster to become Spiderman based (though I've also heard Iron Man mentioned)
- Stunt show to become a Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D stunt show
- Armageddon to be themed to Fantastic Four
- General re-theme of the area to turn it into a Stark expo/New York scene
- For 2017 season
- 2018 will see Toy Story Midway Mania added to Toy Story Playland (this has been mentioned previously by the CEO shortly after Playland opened)
- Front lot, Studio 1, Animation Courtyard and Hollywood Boulevard to receive new theming/re-imagining to make them more immersive areas

After 2017/18 will could be seeing any of the following:
- New 2000 seat theatre to the right of It's a Small World for a new 365 day show
- Studios to gain seasonal events again
- Star Wars Land to be added around Star Tours (if based on old rumours this includes Pizza Planet and Captain EO buildings)
- A Soarin' based attraction will be added to Adventureland, possibly themed to Indianna Jones
- Pirates of the Carribbean area could see some Jack Sparrow additions
- Studios to get a new Avengers themed E-ticket similar to Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey at Island of Adventure
- Studios to get a new hotel attached to the park
- Hollywood Boulevard will get a new working tram to transport guests up and down
- The final plan for the Studios is Avatarland

A lot of this is rumours from years ago but apparently has been recently confirmed from several sources over the past few months.

--------

My opinion is that a lot of it is just necessary refurbs. I think the plan to add more seats to Big Thunder is genius and will definitely make a huge impact.
Star Tours II to open after a new Star Wars movie makes so much sense and might pay off for the resort (rather than opening before the new movie).
I think it's interesting there's no news/rumours on the future of the Tram tour (so much work needs doing to that attraction to bring it up to scratch).
I loathe Soarin', it's just a very boring attraction and it just gets long lines, I don't see why it gets so much love. So to see that coming to Adventureland instead of the proper Indy ride would really upset me.
The Marvel area needs to happen, those IPs are so hot right now that for Disneyland Paris to cash in on them should do wonders for the park. You know Magic Kingdom is currently getting 4/5 hour waits for Anna and Elsa? Well Paris currently has Spiderman with several hour queues. It's a great way to test those waters.
I think turning the coaster into a Spiderman attraction is the wrong choice though, I think an Iron Man theme would work much better (but if this E-ticket is on it's way then I suppose it makes sense to keep him for that attraction).
A Shield stunt show sounds brilliant, but I loved a fan's idea of Armageddon being themed to them even more (imagine the space shuttle re-themed to the deck of the huge Shield ship).
I think Toy Story Midway Mania will be a waste of space, although popular, people might not ride Buzz Lightyear in Discoveryland any more as it's too similar and not as good. Unless that's what they want so they can use that space for something further down the line?
The new show next to It's a Small World is rather random, they already have two theatre's they don't use, why build a third?
Space Mountain I can't see them changing the name again but general improvements definitely won't be frowned upon, especially new trains.

Avatarland? I can't see it coming to Paris yet, I think they'll definitely wait to see how Florida's version is accepted before thinking about that. However I'm one of the few who think that Avatarland will look amazing, and it would definitely help bring some much needed greenery into the Studios.

We had the same problem as Furie did and that was two years ago. The problem is dreams they need to get the area ready, but why there hours before the show?

Good plans apart from too much marvel.

I agree it's popular but it's too much to do four attractions.

From my side it will not make me want to do them attractions. Not a marvel fan and not keen on any of the films.

Yes I'm being selfish lol.

I thought iron man was locked into hk for 5 years? Maybe this is why they need to use Spider man.

Rnr is now very tired as it is in Orlando. Still gets queues but the theme is done with.

The rest needs to be done, star tours big thunder etc.

Both parks need looking at and it's great they finally are.

Avatarland? Really cannot see that happening in Paris I would actually like to see a frozen land more with an Everest type coaster. There is so much in that film that can be made into attractions. It's the biggest Disney film, do something with it lol.

I love soarin but to do it as Indy is wrong, that needs to be done like California.

It's great to see that the park is going to get what it needs at last.

I get the feeling the Fantasyland theatre will be the Frozen stage show, or you know, a cut-down version. Still, I'd rather an actual attraction for Frozen in that area rather than a show. I do love shows but the reason their current venues are so empty is because the cost to keep all the staff hired is too high, to create a new venue just seems silly. I definitely agree they should be looking at getting a Frozen related attraction though, it would do wonders for the resort.

The problem with shows are they only really last one or two years before people don't bother with them any more. The other problem in Paris is the language, and I think this is another reason they have problems with the shows there.

Dreams works but why have half and half, do English for speech and French for song or whatever.

There is even talk beauty and the best stage show in Orlando is about to make way for frozen. So yeah you are probably right about the stage show.

It all sounds very promising, even if half of those rumors actually happen its still going to be a major improvement and the park is definitely moving in the right direction with the Walt Disney Company becoming increasingly involved with the resort.

What happened about the proposed takeover by the Walt Disney Company? I know it was rumored to happen which I read somewhere made the share prices rocket so it never happened..- is that still the latest on it? I personally think that the sooner the takeover happens the better.

As for the shows - I visited the park in December over New Year for the first time in about 4 years and I couldn't believe there were no shows at all in the Disneyland park other than the night time Dreams (which was amazing). Still just because you have a new night time spectacular doesn't mean you don't have any day time shows anymore, especially at a Disney park.

The Lion King and Tarzan shows that they did were actually really good. The Lion King show in particular was very impressive if I remember, id love for them to bring that back, the stage is there still all set up for Lion King too. They used to do a really good ice skating show over Christmas called 'Mickey's winter wonderland' I think and they didn't even do that this year which we were disappointed about.

Shows cost money and the easiest way to save is cut the shows :(

If 50% of those changes happen I will be happy.

A lot of exciting stuff being thrown around. Would love to see a portion of it happen. As Marc said Frozen is HOT right now, but then again Tangled was probably just as popular a few years ago and other then Meet n' Greets the only thing they have seen is a bathroom being themed to it in New Fantasyland. :\

I hope a lot of these DLP changes happen. The Marvel stuff would be a big draw, and a genuine alternative to going to Florida so they'd be daft not to go with that.

Pause for tumbleweed.

rtotheizzo17 said:
A lot of exciting stuff being thrown around. Would love to see a portion of it happen. As Marc said Frozen is HOT right now, but then again Tangled was probably just as popular a few years ago and other then Meet n' Greets the only thing they have seen is a bathroom being themed to it in New Fantasyland. :\
Tangled was huge, but Frozen is even bigger. The fact it's still playing cinemas after 6 months and merchandise is selling steadily suggests a longevity Disney should be building on.

^Fair enough. Im only around Disney people who dork out at anything Tangled. I just checked the box office and was shocked to see Frozen has doubled up Tangled according to wiki. :0

Frozen over took lion king and the sound track is still number two in the UK chart.

So let's build avatar which has nothing to do with Disney :)