What's new

Diamondback - B&M Hyper for Kings Island

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Ben said:
Apparently the opening day queue was about 5 hours long and its maximum point!
That is what the KI staff were telling guests as they got in line initially, but there was no 5 hour wait.

By the time my friends and I were able to get in line at 9:30 (Season Pass issues), the line ran from Diamondback's entrance, through the Nickelodeon Universe, past Backlot Stunt Coaster, around the Splashdown to under Diamondback's first drop.

Picture2-9.png

We only had to wait 2 and a half hours from this point, getting on Diamondback at noon.

After our first ride, the line literally died down to only being a 1 hour and 15 minute wait, stretching a bit beyond the queue.

Now, some may have waited longer than 2 and a half hours to ride, but this was only because Kings Island let guests queue early for Diamondback before the ride opened.

Under normal operation, Diamondback only had a 1 hour 15 minute wait thanks to its great capacity and efficient staffing.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Nice to hear that the queue wasn't that bad, even though it extended so far around the park. Hopefully it will be decent when we're there for the Live.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
A great shot of the queue has been posted on the KIDiamondback.com blog.

DB%20LineWEB.JPG

What's even better is Kings Island will provide ERT for all gold and platinum pass holders on Diamondback and Beast every day for the entire season.

Pssst Cedar Point, take note of that! :roll:

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^^Cedar Point already offers morning ERT on Maverick, MF, TTD & the drop tower for gold/platinum pass holders. We always just ride Mavvy though.

^At least this line moved along & the ride didn't break down.

Here are some pics of Diamondback's opening day a friend of mine shared with me:

The gold/platinum pass holders line:
DiamondbackPassholdersline.jpg

My friends arrived at the park at 6am & got in early, but still had this line in front of them.
Diamondbackline.jpg

Diamondback is somewhere up there.
Diamondbackline1.jpg

There it is.
Diamondbackline4.jpg

So much for the pass holders line.
Diamondbackline2.jpg

This is beyond a line.
Diamondbackline3.jpg

The entrance at last.
DiamondbackEntrance.jpg

Signage!
Diamondbacksignage.jpg

The Queue!
Diamondbackqueue.jpg

The line wraps all the way around to the Crypt.
Diamondbackqueue1.jpg

The soon-to-be gum pole.
Diamondbackpole.jpg

The lift from the left side of the gum pole...
Diamondbacklift1.jpg

...and from the right.
Diamondbacklift.jpg

The station. Remind you of a certain western themed coaster at CP?
Diamondbackstation.jpg

Look out below!
Diamondbackdrop.jpg

ooohhhh!
Diamondbackhelix.jpg

aaahhhh!
Diamondbackcurve.jpg

Yeah!
Diamondbackhill.jpg

That was fun!
Diamondbackfinish.jpg

Ollie

CF Legend
Exactly. I showed my mum the pic of the queue and she thought they were sad people, and was wondering why they would spend the whole day queuing just for a ride that lasts seconds.
Hec if Saw is ever over an hour and a half I think 'screw it', and you know how much I love that ride. :p

marc

CF Legend
People queue 3 hours for Stealth so I can see why people would queue 6 hours for this.

People last week were queuing 4 hours for Saw.

If you have travelled a long way you have no choice really.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Hyde244 said:
We only had to wait 2 and a half hours from this point, getting on Diamondback at noon.

After our first ride, the line literally died down to only being a 1 hour and 15 minute wait, stretching a bit beyond the queue.

Now, some may have waited longer than 2 and a half hours to ride, but this was only because Kings Island let guests queue early for Diamondback before the ride opened.

Under normal operation, Diamondback only had a 1 hour 15 minute wait thanks to its great capacity and efficient staffing.
It was the ride's opening day people. I'm sure it wasn't much different for Maverick & from what CP6 has said, Fahrenheit wasn't much better (but then it vallyed in the cobra roll). Like Hyde said (as did I in the picture captions), this was the early morning queue.
I think you can expect to see similar lines for Manta & HRRR on their opening days.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
As Jerry quoted from the last page, normal queue time for Diamondback was just over an hour thanks to its great capacity.

I am sorry I do not have any pictures to provide, I was hoping I would be in the clear with taking photos but my memory card is still on the ritz.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
SnooSnoo said:
I heard 6 hours from some people. No ride is worth that.. anywhere.

No way. The queue with all switchbacks in use was barely an hour.

The longest I've heard from anyone was 2 1/2 hours.

zcl

Mega Poster
This is part of the reason I opt to visit parks Monday-Wednesday. I hate a long line.

Diamondback has a rather impressive first drop for a B&M hyper. B&M seems to be going in a bit of new direction lately.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Yeah, actually I wonder whether we'll see a B&M Gigacoaster within the next decade or so. Their last Hypers have been exceptionally big, only a mere 8 feet behind SilverStar in terms of height. I've heard somewhere that B&M won't go taller than a certain height, though, but those close to the ceiling have been popular with Cedair Fair lately.

But I miss the Intamin Hypers. I hope the Mega-Lites will make a few park officials ride one and say: "We want this. But twice as tall", reneissancing the Intamin Hypers again.

Nick

Mega Poster
^ that would be nice, but I think we're more likely to see tall coasters launched rather than hyper coasters and giga coasters. Now there's the technology to make coasters go very fast and high without massive expensive lift hills, I think parks are going to be more favorable towards launches. To the GP they would just see the coaster as BIG and would probably think that a launch is better than a coaster with a lift hill anyway (we all know that's not true).

However, I hope parks will go for the more traditional tall coaster experience. As i feel the fear and thrills from climbing slowly to a massive height is equally as fun as launching to a massive height. But, I'm not sure if this is true, parks seem to be having more and more building restrictions put on them, making launches an obvious option for speed, but height disappearing all together :(

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ The wave of tall launch coasters has already come and for the most part gone.

Their downfall has been capacity, reliability and limited layouts.

Diamondback and Behemoth have been iconic coasters that offer superior capacity through excellent train design and reliable technology (traditional lift hill). Not only that, they give a hell of a ride!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Plus, if anything, one would think that launches are more expensive. Look at Top Thrill Dragster. 25 million dollars for 25 seconds, 2,800 feet of track, and 420 feet of height, as well as more sensors than all other roller coasters at Cedar Point combined. Millennium Force, on the other hand, while it doesn't have a traditional lift hill and is the same price, still gives way more, like a track length around 2.5 times longer.