What's new

"Cutting Edge" Trip reports

Dave

CF Legend
I kinda meant my post to be a rhetorical question, as I knew how they got it. End of disucssion?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yes. End of discussion on these forums please.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Thorpe fails blah blah blah, still had a relatively good day though, nice to see everyone again after the off-season. I got on N:I twice thanks to family_furies generosity and also caught the ride with a short queue close to the end of the day. Also did fish and Rush.

I complained, not usually my style but I wanted some sort of compensation for my colossal disappointment at not being able to ride Saw. I never let on on the forums but I was actually looking forward to this so so much, I am a massive horror movie buff and love the Saw franchise, a Saw coaster is my absolute dream and I only have Thorpe to blame for taking that away from me. it just really made me think again about my perceptions of Thorpe, I've always been willing to give them the benefit of a doubt but after this weekend I'm not so sure.

I'm also a little peeved at the fluctuating compensations offered by the Guest Services. it just seems unfair to me that some people were offered 30 Fast Tracks to use and I was only offered two Saw Fast Tracks and four regular.

However, another excellent trip to Paultons. Weather was spectacular, as was the company. Cobra is still smooth as ever and T'Edge is an amazing addition to the park. Paultons is a park made for Lives and i can only hope we continbue to visit there in the future.

Once again, great to see everyone, special mention to Ian for handling Thorpe's spectacular fail and also organising everything at Paultons for us. Bring on the next Live!

BetaKitten

Mega Poster
Thank goodness for Paultons thats all i can say...

I think Rob missed the railways closure off his whinge.... we were queuing for that and it stopped and had to be evacuated...

It was a nightmare.... my first time at Thorpe and i rode Flying Fish, Tea cups and Zodiac.... Fabulous....

I bought tickets online at a reduced rate but that meant i still paid £16 for Dylan for him to have access to about 3 rides (not including octopus garden, But i believe one of those rides broke before the day was out!)

I'm still utterly annoyed about that whole day...

Paultons was lovely though.... i want to go back.... i could've easily spent more time there than i did....

Thanks to Jordan, Tom, Sam and Ned (oh and Stone Cold :p) on behalf of Dylan. He had a lovely second day, which is just as well really....

Rach

Giga Poster
I've sorted out my photos now and shall be posted later with the group photos for Paultons.
I'm still pretty pissed off at Thorpe and their disgrace of an opening day! I hope they can get their act together soon and not treat their Merlin/Thorpe AP holders like a bag of crap.

Nadroj said:
I'm also a little peeved at the fluctuating compensations offered by the Guest Services. it just seems unfair to me that some people were offered 30 Fast Tracks to use and I was only offered two Saw Fast Tracks and four regular.

Peep said:
One think I can defo say is that I now have 30 priority tickets for a future CF Live. This can be for Alton, Chessie or Thorpe! So I seem to have a magic touch with getting free stuff, love me for it.

That trip to guest services, was on behalf of CoasterForce and not just individually for those that went in that group.
I know I wasn't offered anything indivdually from guest services that day. The only thing I have got is the free Saw fast track that I got at the end of the day when leaving.
(But I do still have the Saw fast track ticket for a group of 6 that was issued in the queue for it, [it's dateless]).

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
peep said:
Now I would usually join in on this Thorpe = fail bandwagon but for once I can say (near the beginning of the season) that I had a fantastic day!!!

Am I the only one to think this?

No, we had a great time too. Thorpe was "frustrating", I think that's the only way to really put it. However, we still managed to have a good time. I wouldn't say it was worth leaving so early in the morning, and rushing down to make the meet-up (on time! Have that you bunch of ingrates :p ).

There was a degree of disbelief as I walked with Maxi-Minor_Furie from Canada Creek to the meet-up. Train - down. Loggers Leap - down. Colossus - down. Slammer - down. Jungle Safari - closed. Carousel - down. Monkey Boat - down. Rapids - down. It's just incredible that so much could possible be unavailable.

However, in true Dunkirk spirit, we made the best and had a good kind of milling, social day.

Paultons?

Fantastic!

First impressions count, and Paultons shines. The place smells of fresh paint. The rides are clean and polished. The staff friendly. Just pretty much everything is a superb example of how a park should be run.

Seriously, absolutely fantastic. Every ride we went on just seemed to much more fun than any of their counterparts at other parks. I don't know what it is about the place (not the weather, as I had the same impression after the last Live when it rained most of the day), but they just seem to have got it fine tuned to perfection.

Massive big thumbs up to the park - you should be really, really proud!

Edge? I thought it was really good fun. Real kind of giggle of a ride.

Socially and ride wise, Paultons was superb. One of the best lives for a long time. The huge smiles on everyone's faces at the end told it all really, then the round of applause just, well, just because the day really deserved it.

Will write more I'm sure as I go along. Photos to do yet..

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
PAULTONS

Arrived at the park to find some members from RCCGB were there! That’s several Lives they’ve been there at the same time as us! Had to laugh when Jordan informed me that they were heard saying “Oh look, CoasterFarce is here!” I was quite chuffed that they recognised our faces and didn’t have to rely on us wearing cloned fleeces to know who we are :lol:

As people arrive and paid me money, I was getting a bit edgy about having all the cash about. Even considered doing a runner :lol:

After buying and dishing out the tickets, we headed off for our first ride; The Flying Frog, which I called “Fish” as I was looking at Vadge :D I had the pleasure of sitting next to Steven. Meh. The ride was cheesy as always but unpretentious and laughable. Good fun to be had there! I think everybody rode it.

Cobra was up next. I was impressed how smooth it is after three years. Ok, so it’s not an intense ride but it’s good going for it to glide effortlessly. I had madame_furie and maxi-minor_furie behind me and it was great to hear his excitable noises through the wild mouse turns. A good ride suitable for all!

Waiting for the others, I spotted that Vadge had a “lost child sticker” on her so I put my number on there. We never lost her throughout the day. Shame :wink:

For some reason when Yorkshire’s big john is around, all rides with a “The” prefix change to T-followed by ride name, so from this point forward, Edge was know as T’edge. T’edge was better than I thought it would be. I had to laugh at the “violating restraints”. I like the way the ride warms itself up before completing a full circuit. Only really experienced airtime at the top of the “spikes” but I quite enjoyed the forceful turning sensation over the hill.

Chair Swings were next. The ride cycle seemed shorted than what it did when I rode it last May. Still, a fairly good ride although it did feel a bit chilly. Cheers to furie for the sweets whilst waiting for others.

The Flog Lume got me mildly moist. Good fun and quite refreshing.

Next up we did the CF-Grand Prix. It was nice to see everybody watch even if they weren’t racing. The races were great fun. Stone Cold, Tom and ShoemakerFarahree were exceptional. We’ll have to get those three together in a race next time! The amount of cheering and laughing was brilliant. Especially the applause and cheers when Goon Steven was overtaken! And LOL at the crashes. I have to admit it was difficult to time the races due to the crashes and they way the karts slow once the winner crosses the line, but I think the 1st, 2nd and 3rd places were justified by driving skill.

Then it was lunchtime. Despite me loving the park, I’m not keen on the food so I (and half the group) opted for McDonalds down the road. However, Karen stayed in the park for lunch and the burger was “really delicious”. Perhaps I’ll try them next time!

Anyway to save this being one of these long posts that nobody reads, I’ll post about the second half of the day later on.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
My ears are sunburnt! cool)

Everyone's already covered Thorpe; I wasn't happy either, but frustrating as it was I don't think the Saw problem was their fault, and they handled that one thing pretty well on the day. Shame about the rest...

In constrast, kudos to Paultons for having a well run (engineers on bikes!) and spotlessly clean park :D.

I think it's testament to how great a bunch of people you all are that, even with the enormous downer that was Saturday (have we ever had to abandon a Live before?), everyone pulled through and still had a great day at Paultons :). CF <3.

Thanks for all the organising Ian, especially the go-karts! Eat my lawn-mower exhaust Matt & Dan :p.

badger

Roller Poster
paultons

Still a bit thick when it comes to posting photo,s,Just can,t seem to get it,So i,ve stuck mine on facebook for now at least,Thanks again for a great day.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: paultons

badger said:
Still a bit thick when it comes to posting photo,s,Just can,t seem to get it,So i,ve stuck mine on facebook for now at least,Thanks again for a great day.
Quite easy, just put the image address between these tags

Example: URL[/umg]

Alternatively just linke the facebook album on here!

I want to see some photos to take away the boredom of being back at work!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ollie said:
Manufacturers say: Coaster
Park say: Coaster

Kind of goes against your opinion doesn't it?

Marketing Manager at Paultons said:
just for the record - we don't really think of EDGE as a coaster - but we did call it a 'mega-disk'o coaster' before we named it EDGE!

:p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Few photos then. Some good, some bad, but generally I think they kind of sum up the weekend a little.

First, up, as close as we got to riding Saw:
ce2.jpg

ce3.jpg

When in Thorpe, you'll find the only way to enjoy yourself is to make up your own thrills:
ce1.jpg

That's Thorpe summed up then :lol:

Lots here from Paultons, make up your own captions if I don't add them :)

ce4.jpg

Anyone who posts "because he's worth it" will get shot!

ce5.jpg

Sandwich of Vadge!

ce6.jpg

Sorry John, couldn't resist :)

ce7.jpg

Beans is damn brave! I can't let go of these things!

ce8.jpg

Slide fight ensues!

ce9.jpg

Awwww :)

ce10.jpg

No good for "who farted?" as we know already!

ce11.jpg

Weeeee!

ce12.jpg

And a close up :)

ce13.jpg

Don't debate with Stone Cold!

ce14.jpg

T'Edge!

ce15.jpg

I love the kind of blandness of all this!

ce16.jpg

Tom is STILL holding on tightly!

ce17.jpg

Stone Cold finally meets somebody he can get one up on!

I'll upload the rest at some point (I have lots actually), then get MMF to post a trip report for us all :)

Emmett

Giga Poster
Nice photos furie. The expressions of everyone riding Edge are classic, arms folded, no hands in the air. Brilliant. Nice too see some shots of Saw finally.

Also did anyone take a visit to the Saw Shop at Thorpe? I just wanted to know what the merchandise was like.

marc

CF Legend
Whilst the shop was open the stuff in there looked quiet good, the mugs for example are on par with things you can get at most USA theme parks. The bags and some of the shirts were good as well, I would get a mug but that would be about it.

They shut the shop though just after they shut the ride as they cleared out that whole area.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Emmett said:
Also did anyone take a visit to the Saw Shop at Thorpe? I just wanted to know what the merchandise was like.
You mean the cargo shed XD. It's not exactly pretty.

I'm loving my Saw mug, and the t-shirts looked alright, but I thought the rest looked like ****. Very disappointed in the hat!

Beans

Hyper Poster
Just want to start with a big thanks to everyone for making yesterday(well both days) a fantastic day. Paultons is a great Park and it was made better by everyone elses company, Thanks guys and girls

First time to Paultons since I was a kid(yes that was amillion years ago) and thoroughly enjoyed it, why is it the smaller parks are always so much more fun.
Really like Edge, didn't make me feel ill at all I thought it was quite smooth, loved Cobra nice quick ride. The only thing that made me nearly hurl was that spinning dragon thing, nearly had to run find a bush to curl up in.
An yes I did break a ride again, as Nic rminded me it was my fault as I was on it. the Jumping Bean said no, didn't like another Beans on it I suppose.

Did thre Macs run at lunch and found others following my lead, sadly I lead them the wrong way, Doh didn't read the signs.

Loved Alexander and friends at the Meerkat manor, had everyone in a trance at there antics. Emus decided to fight.

Thanks John for farting behind me in the nursery rhymn place you bloody stunk the place out.

4 new credits in four days isn't bad, won't say what the 3rd was, but 3 were at Paultons :wink: I might get lynched

Anyway I took loads of photos, and here the links to them on facebook, they are public so all should be able to see them.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... =604610277

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The links are not public, Beans! And no, I'm not signing up to Facebook to see them :p :lol:

Oh and LOL at your comment on Waverunner when Phil/Mr Beans beat you; "You're fatter than me so you'll go faster." Made me giggle that did.