What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

JammyH

Hyper Poster
It might be worth remembering, though; if UK parks are allowed to open in June/July, they have the entirety of the summer holidays to make money, and the summer is a huge period for theme parks. Surely they wouldn't want to miss out on summer income?
I think your forgetting that parks will have to be running on potentially 1/3 or 1/4 capacity, will have to invest in PPE and extra sanitisation measures and also carry out work to make changes throughout the park such as adaptation to queuelines/groundwork so that new social distancing floor signs can be placed down.

I think it’s great your optimistic but if you are only allowing 1/4 of daily capacity in, you are only getting a 1/4 of the return you otherwise would have, and for some parks the cost of running is going to outweigh the cost of staying shut for the rest of the season.

This is still assuming parks will even get to open up this summer. Theatre tours and shows are inevitably cancelled until at least September. I’m just struggling to comprehend what the practicality and safety of parks opening their doors really is. And then even if they can, with reduced return due to extra investment in PPE, sanitisation and lower visitor numbers, is it even economically viable.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
It might be worth remembering, though; if UK parks are allowed to open in June/July, they have the entirety of the summer holidays to make money, and the summer is a huge period for theme parks. Surely they wouldn't want to miss out on summer income?

Agree, but if they’re not permitted to open by June, every week that passes after June is another step closer to not opening in 2020 at all...

Matt N

CF Legend
I think your forgetting that parks will have to be running on potentially 1/3 or 1/4 capacity, will have to invest in PPE and extra sanitisation measures and also carry out work to make changes throughout the park such as adaptation to queuelines/groundwork so that new social distancing floor signs can be placed down.

I think it’s great your optimistic but if you are only allowing 1/4 of daily capacity in, you are only getting a 1/4 of the return you otherwise would have, and for some parks the cost of running is going to outweigh the cost of staying shut for the rest of the season.

This is still assuming parks will even get to open up this summer. Theatre tours and shows are inevitably cancelled until at least September. I’m just struggling to comprehend what the practicality and safety of parks opening their doors really is. And then even if they can, with reduced return due to extra investment in PPE, sanitisation and lower visitor numbers, is it even economically viable.
I know that they'll be running on reduced capacity, but surely some income is better than no income at all? If parks get busy enough within that capacity, then they could make a profit; I once heard somewhere that Alton Towers could make a profit on only 20-30% capacity, so I think it's doable.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Agree, but if they’re not permitted to open by June, every week that passes after June is another step closer to not opening in 2020 at all...
In some european counties e.g Germany and Spain, I can see the parks opening by June. In the UK, we are only going to be looking at starting to exit lockdown at the end of May by reopening small non essential business.

Theme parks will be the least of the governments priorities and in the UK I doubt they would be permitted to open until July at the very earliest possible scenario

Ethan

Strata Poster
I know that they'll be running on reduced capacity, but surely some income is better than no income at all? If parks get busy enough within that capacity, then they could make a profit; I once heard somewhere that Alton Towers could make a profit on only 20-30% capacity, so I think it's doable.
Remember you need to spend all that money to get the parks up and running, though. Recruitment, catering staff, operations staff, admissions, janitorial staff, maintenance costs, running costs etc, I'm sure there are loads of things that I haven't even mentioned.

The concern people are having is that the limited capacity would mean, even if the park did sell out every day, would this reduced income actually cover the above costs? I'm not an expert in the financial costs of theme parks, but I'm sure you get the gist.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
In some european counties e.g Germany and Spain, I can see the parks opening by June. In the UK, we are only going to be looking at starting to exit lockdown at the end of May by reopening small non essential business.

Theme parks will be the least of the governments priorities and in the UK I doubt they would be permitted to open until July at the very earliest possible scenario

I’m sure we will have ‘started’ to exit lockdown within 2 weeks... Even if it’s just some token freedoms like more outdoor freedom :)

I think he’ll announce this week that we can exercise unrestricted outdoors, and sunbath / picnic in family groups / alone... No meeting up etc... That is the most plausible tip off that I’ve seen so far anyway...

If not, I’m sure he’ll unlock or change ‘something’ with the announcement this week, if only to show that there’s light at the end of the tunnel. Having said that though, I’ll not be overly surprised if he does decide to run lockdown for another 3 weeks. So who knows. Actually I’m apparently not so ‘sure’ of anything ?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Remember you need to spend all that money to get the parks up and running, though. Recruitment, catering staff, operations staff, admissions, janitorial staff, maintenance costs, running costs etc, I'm sure there are loads of things that I haven't even mentioned.

The concern people are having is that the limited capacity would mean, even if the park did sell out every day, would this reduced income actually cover the above costs? I'm not an expert in the financial costs of theme parks, but I'm sure you get the gist.
I think most of Merlin’s staff are on the furlough scheme ready to go... Not sure about any other parks though.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Does this include seasonal staff that are new each year, out of interest? I'm not sure how long before the season they actually hire these people.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Does this include seasonal staff that are new each year, out of interest? I'm not sure how long before the season they actually hire these people.
It says they have not hired seasonal staff where attractions were closed. But come lockdown most of the parks had been open and fully operating for buy outs, blue light days, annual pass days and general public days... Though I’m not sure about Legoland.

My guess would be the first wave was done, the backbone of the staff to take them through the whole season... But then there are usually further waves, seasonal seasonal staff if you like, for the busier times, doubt these were hired.

The furlough scheme fell just right for any staff they did have on their books for these event days, as they were eligible so long as they were employed by the 19th March. In my experience working there, staff training and inductions would have started for all no later than 2 weeks before the parks opened for annual pass / Blue light / buyout days. But it was Tussauds then!!!

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
That's what I was thinking about the Finland Live.
The parks will probably be open by then in Finland but we possibly wouldn't be able to get there as the decision on the trip is due middle of the month.
At the moment international travel is discouraged:

"As countries respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, including travel and border restrictions, the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel"

No one would probably be insured if we travelled abroad for a roller coaster trip with this knowledge.
Would the lack of insurance not be a massive issue if you're travelling within the EU though? You'd get free medical treatment in the case of an emergency.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Would the lack of insurance not be a massive issue if you're travelling within the EU though? You'd get free medical treatment in the case of an emergency.

Essential and non-essential travel
Anyone planning to travel should check Government advice(link is external). You will need to speak to insurance providers and discuss the cover that will best suit your needs. There may be instances where cover is not available. If you are travelling against Government advice, your travel insurance will not be valid unless it is essential.

----

It's possible the travel advice will be ok by July but the decision to go ahead with the Live will have to be made soon which is completely understandable.

SimonProD

Mega Poster
Talked to my neighbor working at the red cross crisis team yesterday and they also talked about theme parks - Hansa-Park in this case. Their current ideas are - no gurantee if and when this will come:

• Online tickets only
  • Only outside food options, it must be allowed to bring food and drink
  • Every guest has to bring at least two FFP2 masks to wear in all ride areas and during rides to use rides to full capacity - cost at a local pharmacy last week: €20 for two FFP2 masks
Lets see how that turns out...

It is also assumed that parks will offer FFP2 masks for sale with the online tickets.

On travel restrictions: It is now allowed gain to travel into Schleswig-Holstein for leisure for a day trip to visit zoos and museums which also reopen with social distancing.

Honestly I like the FFP2 mask requirement far more than running rides at 1/4 capacity - if the latter will come true I'll do no parks this year as you cannot get rides.

Last edited:

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Talked to my neighbor working at the red cross crisis team yesterday and they also talked about theme parks - Hansa-Park in this case. Their current ideas are - no gurantee if and when this will come:

• Online tickets only
  • Only outside food options, it must be allowed to bring food and drink
  • Every guest has to bring at least two FFP2 masks to wear in all ride areas and during rides to use rides to full capacity - cost at a local pharmacy last week: €20 for two FFP2 masks
Lets see how that turns out...

It is also assumed that parks will offer FFP2 masks for sale with the online tickets.

On travel restrictions: It is now allowed gain to travel into Schleswig-Holstein for leisure for a day trip to visit zoos and museums which also reopen with social distancing.

Honestly I like the FFP2 mask requirement far more than running rides at 1/4 capacity - if the latter will come true I'll do no parks this year as you cannot get rides.

Similarly skyline park have said masks will be compulsory when in queue lines, on rides and waiting to buy food at food outlets. They will also operate on a limited capacity with strict online booking only.

I think we could see similar measures enforced across all parks in Germany, if and when parks do reopen. The use of protective face masks on rides I also believe is much more sensible than The Netherlands approach of running rides at 1/4 capacity. Perhaps rides will be able to run at 1/2 capacity with use of PPE as the face masks provide an extra physical barrier between transmission of infection.

SimonProD

Mega Poster
It is also assumed that mask prices will drop massively as soon as international production - mostly in the far east - will kick in. And prices are already dropping two weeks cloth masks cost here €15 per piece and FFP2-masks €25 per piece - late last week prices already dropped to €2 per cloth mask and €10 per FFP2 mask. It is assumed that by June prices are about €0,50 / cloth mask and €2 / FFP2 mask.

My neighbor assumes that by June most sport and leisure activities can re-open by June with mask requirements. The only exception due to obvious reasons will be swimming pools and water parks. Thinking of it this might affect water rides as well...

Last edited:

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
With the death toll now dwindling fast in many countries I wonder if this is really necessary at all or just overblown hype with these crazy rules.
I really don't believe the death toll going down so quickly is all down to social distancing. People practice it piss poorly in the supermarkets from what I have seen. It should be a hotspot to catch the bloody thing due to touching things other people have, people breathing in a confined space etc. More than likely we are seeing a natural resistance to the virus and the virus itself running out of steam since it already infected the weakest where it could.

Give it another month and let's see where we are at.

Can't believe people are seriously considering a mile long queue line to board a plane. Pure insanity.

SimonProD

Mega Poster
I hope they do a rule for plane travel that allows travellers to postpone their flight within 2 weeks if they have cold symptoms - docotors attestation needed - without an extra charge or payment. And not only for now but forever - this would reduce cold infections all over. Some years ago I catched a nasty cold while in Orlando and had to get on my plane back to Europe - wonder how many I infected while aboard...

Overall I don't agree that this will simply go away. We have lesser infections as poeple mostly stay at home and classic infection lines like "kids in school > parents > colleagues" are interrupted. I assume the rules will stay until there is a vaccine.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Masks are the best option, and if you look back a few pages they were suggested here as the only viable option.

They don’t need to be FFP3 / N95 either. It is suggested that, whilst wearing a none filtered covering does not in itself significantly reduce the risk of catching the virus. If both the carrier, and you, are wearing a covering, the chances of infection could be reduced by more than 95%.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
IAAPA have put out a document "Reopening Guidance: Considerations for the Attractions Industry". Likely contains some good info, although not sure how 'groundbreaking' any of it is. I've not made time to read it fully yet, only skimmed through bits.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
IAAPA have put out a document "Reopening Guidance: Considerations for the Attractions Industry". Likely contains some good info, although not sure how 'groundbreaking' any of it is. I've not made time to read it fully yet, only skimmed through bits.

Some good sensible steps in there... Masks, Limited capacity, Hygiene, distancing by family units / groups (not individuals... looking at you Holland ?)

So... they’re advising most of the reasonable / realistic steps suggested here in this very thread... I think that’s a credit to CF!

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster

Essential and non-essential travel
Anyone planning to travel should check Government advice(link is external). You will need to speak to insurance providers and discuss the cover that will best suit your needs. There may be instances where cover is not available. If you are travelling against Government advice, your travel insurance will not be valid unless it is essential.

----

It's possible the travel advice will be ok by July but the decision to go ahead with the Live will have to be made soon which is completely understandable.
I think you missed my point. Nobody can travel abroad with insurance whilst the FCO is advising against "all but essential travel". What I'm saying is that (for me, at least), the main reason for travel insurance is cover for medical emergencies. You don't need that (for now, at least!) if travelling within the EU.

Sure, you're not going to be covered for theft or lost bags etc. but those sort of things are of minor concern compared to medical coverage.