What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I know New York, and the tri-state area, are the exception to the rule, but it's not as much of a ***-show that the map you linked to would suggest.
;)

I suppose it's all relative. It's pretty much all a total ****-show somewhere on the spectrum - New Zealand possibly excluded. :p

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Following up on my previous Q2 posts, SeaWorld Entertainment reported a net loss of $131 million during the second quarter of 2020, in which all of its theme parks were closed during most of the period because of the coronavirus outbreak. The company said revenue declined 96% from last year to $18 million , down from $388 million, as its guest numbers fell to 300,000 during the quarter compared with 6.5 million visitors a year earlier. EBITDA for the quarter was a loss of $53.8 million. Per capita spending was up 5.5% and in park per capita spending was up 10%. Deferred revenue from passes and other products was down almost 16% from a year ago. The total pass base is down 31%. However, parks that have been open in the quarter the pass base grew more than 10%.
Right now they are seeing positive cash flow at their operating parks and it was also noted that they believe they need to hit a out 40% of last year's revenue figures in order to be profitable overall for the year. Due to selling notes and receiving a large sum from them, the corporation appears to be on the lookout for parks that will be for sale due to their operators not being able to withstand these tough times. What they're looking at are things like water parks, hotels or other small parks that could be converted into a Sesame Place.
Regarding capital expenditures, they are about 87% complete with all the new rides that were supposed to be for 2020 but did not open, all of which have been pushed to 2021. It will take another $15 million to finish those rides, but they still owe another $40 to $50 million on them as well.

JammyH

Quarantine update for us lot in the UK:

“Weekly” announcement (yes it’s become a weekly thing now) expected tomorrow as it now happens every Thursday.

Countries being added to the list could include Switzerland, France, Greece, Malta, netherlands and Poland.

Portugal May be taken off the list.

To be honest at this point we might as well close our borders, travel to anywhere is extremely limited anyway!

Quarantine update for us lot in the UK:

“Weekly” announcement (yes it’s become a weekly thing now) expected tomorrow as it now happens every Thursday.

Countries being added to the list could include Switzerland, France, Greece, Malta, netherlands and Poland.

Portugal May be taken off the list.

To be honest at this point we might as well close our borders, travel to anywhere is extremely limited anyway!
I don't know if that is going to help the economy or just make things worse.
Staycations are obviously far more in fashion and will continue to be, certain travel and hospitality companies in the UK will be making a killing.
I've been going to Center Parcs quite a few times over the last 5 years, usually in October / November. I can see all the school holiday days are fully booked. They are usually busy and far more expensive but fully booked at this point is indeed unusual I believe.

In addition to extra late night riding dates, Blackpool Pleasure Beach will now open Mondays and Tuesdays as well in September and October (previously they would have been closed on those days), so obviously they are doing well.

However airlines are a big part of the UK economy so if the quarantine thing for our closest neighbouring countries indeed goes ahead that is gonna hurt surely.
Also ferry companies and Eurotunnel will do badly.

To a large extent I would have thought it places the income for these industries back to the days of lockdown.