What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
There’s no doubt about it, the parks are far too busy at the moment. I don’t see a situation in where they are allowed to increase their capacities, with the threat of an exponential rise in numbers.

If the cases do increase it is more likely the parks will have to hold or even reduce their capacities, I think it is highly unlikely they will be allowed to increase them again.

As said though, the daily capacity is far higher than they would normally be getting at this time of year anyway, because they are modelling the “reduced capacity” off the theoretical maximum capacity and not a daily average. It’s all pretty poor in my opinion as the “reduced capacity” saga is a load of crap and is going to lead to a load of poor trip advisor reviews, but I understand the desperate scramble for money at the moment.

Hopefully parks will quieten down in September so we can have a more enjoyable and relaxed day out.
I think their ‘capacity’ is already way beyond 50% personally.

Also if you look at the guidance there is no figure or similar set, no hard rules on capacity... Just advice to reduce crowd density based on square footage...

I read that Belgium has been removed from the list of corridors... Didn’t read the story though.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
It’s official now.

Travellers returning to UK from Belgium, the Bahamas and Andorra will have to quarantine from 04:00 BST on Saturday.

from bbc again.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Well, that looks like our Efteling and Plopsaland road trip is ****canned. We can't find ourselves in a position where we need to self isolate.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Might have been too negative about the future of Lightwater Valley with thinking Ultimate and Raptor closing over the summer might signal end of days... they are sold out till Monday.

Reports of it actually being quite busy. I'd definitely try to get Ultimate open now.

Last edited:

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Well, that looks like our Efteling and Plopsaland road trip is ****canned. We can't find ourselves in a position where we need to self isolate.

That sucks, I’m sorry, haven’t managed to get away anywhere either. Feel like I missed the chance when it was possible, which was literally just for those 3 weeks of July really.

The whole of Europe is looking on thin ice, looks like France/netherlands could be added soon to the list as well, and even if you are just travelling through Belgium it requires you to quarantine even if you don’t stop anywhere in the country, so it makes euro-trip planning very difficult for the rest of the summer.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
It happens, unfortunately. This year was supposed to be a great year for parks, we had a 3 week Florida trip planned (I've never done Busch!), Efteling, Bakken/Tivoli and then whatever else we could do i guess.

I did get Knott's Berry Farm plus West Coaster in on a business trip a few weeks prior to lockdown though.

SimonProD

Mega Poster
Cases in Germany top 1000/day again with the trend showing upwards.

Was today at the University Clinic in Kiel for my chronic condition treatment and they already had Corona security measures in place like in feb-may. My docotr said that if the trend isn't turned within 2 weeks and there are over 5000 cases per day its very likely full shutdown will be implemented again. She said the two biggest mistakes were a) allowing travel and b) allowing private parties. With schools opening next week with regular service cases could easily skyrocket soon.

So if you plan Germany don't plan far ahead.

Starting Sat everyone returning or travelling to Germany from outside EU/Schengen has to take mandatory Corona tests - free for Germans - and you have to self-quarantine until the results are in - and it was stated that the police will make random checks with fines up to €25.000. Politics is in talks to forbid travel again from/to non-EU/Schengen countries.

Last edited:

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Cases in Germany top 1000/day again with the trend showing upwards.

Was today at the University Clinic in Kiel for my chronic condition treatment and they already had Corona security measures in place like in feb-may. My docotr said that if the trend isn't turned within 2 weeks and there are over 5000 cases per day its very likely full shutdown will be implemented again. She said the two biggest mistakes were a) allowing travel and b) allowing private parties. With schools opening next week with regular service cases could easily skyrocket soon.

So if you plan Germany don't plan far ahead.

Starting Sat everyone returning or travelling to Germany from outside EU/Schengen has to take mandatory Corona tests - free for Germans - and you have to self-quarantine until the results are in - and it was stated that the police will make random checks with fines up to €25.000. Politics is in talks to forbid travel again from/to non-EU/Schengen countries.

I’m praying I can come next month to Germany but I won’t book it until the last minute because I can’t tell what’s going to happen tomorrow let alone in 5 weeks time.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
FWIW on the 2 week quarantine requirement - are you realistically going anywhere else? ?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
FWIW on the 2 week quarantine requirement - are you realistically going anywhere else? ?
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that for people who need to go out to work. Alright for those of us who can work from home (personally, I couldn't care less about a quarantine when I get back to the UK), but lots of people who work in supermarkets/hospitals/public transport/etc can end up being caught out. If they're not furloughed, that's two weeks without pay - which isn't so good for many.

JammyH

Hyper Poster

Personally, I wouldn’t be, no.

But the issue isn’t just the quarantine. If the government imposes quarantine then FCO advice automatically changes against visiting that country and travel insurance becomes automatically invalid, which causes problems.

And if the country one wants to visit imposes quarantine on the country you are coming from (home country), then you can’t go either. So it’s all a bit tricky right now to be honest.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

But the issue isn’t just the quarantine. If the government imposes quarantine then FCO advice automatically changes against visiting that country and travel insurance becomes automatically invalid, which causes problems.

And if the country one wants to visit imposes quarantine on the country you are coming from (home country), then you can’t go either. So it’s all a bit tricky right now to be honest.
If you’ve already travelled your insurance IS valid. It would only be invalid if you ‘travelled against fco advice.’ As in, departed after the advice was changed.

And if you haven’t travelled ‘high risk’ came in at £100 per week for 3 people in Europe :)

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
I'll probably go to Blackpool Pleasure Beach a couple of times late summer / autumn including during Illumination (never seen it).
Other than that I've pretty much written off this year now. Too much uncertainty and vague information.
Parks too busy now also. No point.

Matt N

CF Legend
Alton Towers has introduced new measures to help with social distancing, according to TowersTimes: EDIT: For some reason, the Facebook post won’t load, but what they’ve introduced are a one-way system on the paths between Mutiny Bay and Gloomy Wood, as well as “crowd wardens” to help enforce distancing rules around the park.

rob666

Hyper Poster
I'll probably go to Blackpool Pleasure Beach a couple of times late summer / autumn including during Illumination (never seen it).
Other than that I've pretty much written off this year now. Too much uncertainty and vague information.
Parks too busy now also. No point.
Pleasure Beach on mid September weekdays is the closest I will ever get to heaven.
Well worth the effort.
Wouldn't advise illumination weekends early on though, extremely busy, can be horrendous.
Rarely see the loominations from the Big One these days, the queue gets too silly, but with the late season openings this year, there might be shorter queues.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that for people who need to go out to work. Alright for those of us who can work from home (personally, I couldn't care less about a quarantine when I get back to the UK), but lots of people who work in supermarkets/hospitals/public transport/etc can end up being caught out. If they're not furloughed, that's two weeks without pay - which isn't so good for many.
Very true. And I do speak as someone who works from home, and can easily lay low.

Ah that’s right, travel insurance. Not a thing I was considering - doesn’t exist in the US. ?