What's new

Chessington World of Adventures: YOUR VIEWS WANTED

marc

CF Legend
I think they should put some sort of water transport around the Zoo with guides on the boats explaining about the animals.

I have to be honest I have not walked around the Zoo so I have no idea if there is room or not.

Something like this though would make me want to see the Zoo.

Or build something like Rino Rally, that would work as well.

Mark

Strata Poster
I totally disagree with that I'm afraid Marc.

Firstly the Zoo is not that big and space is not that great. Not only that but I really hate seeing theme parks mixed with zoo's as it is. They shouldn't be mixed in.

Now I know some mention Animal Kingdom, but that is a whole different ball game, the place is four times the size of the Magic Kingdom, which is masses bigger then the generic British theme park, ie Chessington. And I needen't really go on with all the other points that leads to.

Plus, for some reason the British public can't handle themselves when it comes to this kind of attraction. Look at what happened at Thorpe Farm. Youngsters stamping on the animals. Yeah nice!

I do argree that possibly some kind of Animal Tour could be good, but I don't think Rhino Rally type ride is the way to go. (Personally I thought that ride was totally awful) The only reason the similar ride works so well in AK is because of its sheer size.

If anything, i'd suggest that they revamp the Safari Skyway to actually visit more of the zoo areas. You could have a special bird tunnel (like they do in sealife centres) and just better visibility on the areas that are newer and you can barely see at the moment.

badger

Roller Poster
chessington

got to keep the dogems,just what to do with other space on a limited budget?must be able to convert mad house into some attaction for over 10 /12 yrs old.how about classic rides waltzer, whip or some other fair ground rides.? got to be cheaper than a coaster.

coasteraddict10

Mega Poster
MARK: Can you give us a rough idea of the ammount of money chessie has, because we're stabbing in the dark here, because I still think a cgi woody is the right way to go for chessie.

-CA

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
I was having a good old fashioned think in the car on the way back from Legoland today, after some discussion with my Dad on the matter of Chessington's future in comparison to Legoland, and I've thought up a small 4 year plan of my dream (yet logical in some way) ideas...

2009 - Obv not much can be done for next year with a very small space of time, so the best bet is to go with the flow of upgrades around the park, as can be seen through the re-painting of several areas (Chessie shop, Pirate's Cove games, and Skyway supports), a continuation of this would be a good idea to make Chessie look presentable and a nice place for people to re-visit...

However, one thing needs to be done ASAP... And that's replacing Rodeo... It's been gone for 4 years now and nothing has come up, hopefully Merlin (and new staff) will get sommat sooner rather than later, and for here best bets would be either a Breakdance, Topple Tower or a Demolition Derby...
A Breakdance would obviously be a return to Rodeo in a way, but Rodeo was always a good ride, so I'd love to see it return one way or another...
Topple Towers are a big arguement, and it would be interesting to see guest reactions to such a ride... Would be hitting around 60ft (which would appear to be the limit on the park in the majority), so could be a rather intimidating ride for many tweens... Decent capacity though and easily would fit in the hole left...
Demolition Derby would entirely depend on how Chessie feel about dealing with Zamperla after Bash Street Bus being cack this year :lol:

2010 - A big year this, not only does Beano's contract run out, but I am led to believe it would also be time on Imperial Leather's as well (good news for Alton as well then, Pirate-themed Flume ftw ;))...
Bubbleworks however will have to wait, as Beanoland is a much bigger project and since it is older needs the attention more...

Going back to Tim's ideas, a Roman Empire theme is definately a good idea... Since Chessie is the 'World of Adventures', may as well complete the olden times collection with some Roman rides...
Whizzer and Dodgems can be kept definately, maybe with a Colosseum theme placed around the Dodgems "Gladiator" style would make them look awesome... Whilst Whizzer just gets to look like a column... Elsewhere the Cafe would be extended to behind Splatapults in order to give another (but only the 4th) proper sit-down restaurant in the park... Splats could be replaced with a small kiddie ride...
In fact, with Bus on it's last legs, removing that and the ELC tent behind it would give a lot of room for a possible indoor ride, a Madhouse perhaps? Of Hex-like awesomeness naturally...

The major thing here would be a new coaster... 6 years is too big a gap so the ride needs to be completely different from anything Chessie has, but I still think the company to turn to regardless would be Gerstlauer... The two choices here being either a Wooden or possibly a more likely idea LSM Launched behind Madhouse (which could be removed)...
With a Wooden of Mammut proportions, a great fun family coaster would result in my view... With excellent re-ride capabilities, and doesn't need a lot of theming to make it excellent...
On the other hand, a Launched could have great theming possiblities... I've thought of two things, Chariot racing, or even bigger, Pompeii themed, which would involve getting launched into or towards an erupting volcano... How cool would that be?

Treehouse would get re-themed to a massive statue of Cesaer, and Madhouse could also be Gladiator themed, or get removed due to the coaster... But Roman is the way to go imo...

2011 - Right then Bubbles got off lightly last year, so it's time for a complete and total revamp... But not before we improve Toytown, through removing Toadies and Bouncing Berries...

These two would be replaced by 3 new attractions, Berries would get replaced by a Moser Drop Tower similar to Cranky at Drayton, meaning that we can get 12 adults if possible on ONE go... An important factor in a family park in my view...
Toadies would therefore get replaced by 2 rides... One for Toytownn, and one for Forbidden Kingdom... I haven't decided what kind of rides overall these should be, but I'm thinking Disco for Kingdom and something more kiddie (perhaps a small round ride) for Toytown.. The back path would then get more field or a pond to look at, as well as a new cool ride...

Bubbles now, this would be a COMPLETE GUTTING of the current factory theme, very little if anything would stay... The idea of this re-do would be to totally dis-connect the new version to the previous incarnations, by giving a totally new experience... It's always been the dark horse of Chessie, not really fitting into Translyvania's theme, so this would involve theming to a Haunted Castle... Same ride, different interior (and exterior for that matter)... Not sure about anything on the inside, but it would be of similar humour to the original Bubbles, with silly things going on, perhaps taking the mick out of old horror film cliches...

And there you have it, my 3 year plan of things I want to happen to Chessie ride-wise... I didn't even mention my wanting of the Falls rocks to return (I'm sure the evac stairs could be kept and incorporated into them)...
If anyone has comments about any of my ideas, say sommat bout it... I've spent quite a bit of time on these and I want opinions of my ideas...
Bear in mind Bubbles re-theme money would come in from the income of the 2010 season, due to the greater interest caused by the coaster... So I have thought of these things logically to a degree ;)[/b]

peep

CF Legend
I really love your ideas, a launched coaster themed to a chariot race would be awesome. The theming is easy to do and would look great. Would defiantly bring in more peeps to the park.

I concur that rodeo should be resurrected, it was such a popular attraction, everyone used to love riding it.

Vampire was themed to hammer horror films, horror with a look that was cheap but fun and scary. A retheme of the bubbleworks to a similar approach would be great. I would personally want to see the actual ride taken out and an omni-mover system used instead like on Phantom Manor at Disneyland resort Paris. Seeing as Merlin now seem up to movie tie-ins (Saw: the ride) why not work with Hammer Horror films as they are now operating again. I think the retheme would overall make the area feel right as currently it all seems a bit wtf.

jokerman

Giga Poster
How about combine the ideas of the chariot race and woodie, to have a racing/dueling woodie. I suppose its down to whether they have the space.

Mark

Strata Poster
coasteraddict10 said:
MARK: Can you give us a rough idea of the ammount of money chessie has, because we're stabbing in the dark here, because I still think a cgi woody is the right way to go for chessie.

-CA

I have no idea on the budget unfortunately.

But as a concept/ideas person I tend to think you should go to town with the idea. Leave it to the budget people to tone down the ideas to fit. Naturally, anything you do know about, such as height limits and so on should factor in but other then that... go to town!

I love the idea of a woody at Chessie. My only concern would be the noise factor possibly?

Personally I would love to see some more expansion of the Pirates Cove, it just seems so non-existant at the moment and feels it needs something extra. Some form of coaster in this area (just next to the Vampire tunnel) would help possibly? I do think it should be something along the lines of a launch coaster too. Something that would be a little less intense and ideal for families (which is why I originally suggested an Intamin LIM launch single looping coaster, such as California Screamin.)

coasteraddict10

Mega Poster
Mark said:
My only concern would be the noise factor possibly?

Personally I would love to see some more expansion of the Pirates Cove, it just seems so non-existant at the moment and feels it needs something extra. Some form of coaster in this area (just next to the Vampire tunnel) would help possibly? I do think it should be something along the lines of a launch coaster too. Something that would be a little less intense and ideal for families (which is why I originally suggested an Intamin LIM launch single looping coaster, such as California Screamin.)

Then put the woody as far from the main road (and any urban areas) as possible (but I've not been chessie, so I don't know what is around the area).

And, KANONEN, do something like that for a launched coaster :)

-CA

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Mark said:
I love the idea of a woody at Chessie. My only concern would be the noise factor possibly?

Most wooden coasters aren't as noisyas people make out... I can happily sit in Oakwood's big field near Megaphobia and not hear a thing... Same for Mammut, which only makes itself known when on the lift, but again from a distance, is not as noisy...

Close-up they don't drown you out either, steel coasters are actually noisier in some cases...

My plans would involve the coaster being behind Madhouse's current location, so wouldn't be near the residential area really...

spicy

Giga Poster
Apart from the main place that the Topple Tower would be put is no where near Beanoland and the Beanoland sponsorship runs out in 2010.

Although a Topple Tower in Rodeo's old spot is a very good idea and one I can't believe hasn't come to fruition yet.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Odds are that Bash Street Bus will be going after the poor year it gave us...

I can honestly see the field behind Beanoland being the main construction point for a major ride... Flat and it's not really used for anything... Useful...

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
It's arguable... Looking at Google maps, I'm guessing that the field is around 300x150ft, and that's from the trees to Madhouse... It's possible for a custom layout to be squeezed in there...
And tbh the more I look at the Gerstlauer Launched Coaster the more I like the look of it... It has INVERSIONS!!! :p

In addition I've been busy this evening working on a better representation of my plans through the lovely Google Maps...

First of all we have Beanoland's re-theme to a Roman Town...
2ylu1ye.jpg

And here we have Toadies and Bouncers removals resulting in 4 new rides...
259fqys.jpg

More than happy to listen to criticism and extra ideas... I thought that Chessie could do with another show, hence the replacement of Madhouse with one, thought it would be very small and could get drowned out... But hell, I'm sure the planners would prefer lots of stuff to play around with rather than a little... Though the Vekoma Madhouse would be a lovely awesome addition ;)

I'm stumped as to what sort of additional kiddie ride could take the place of Toadies old queue, though the odds of one being able to fit are very remote tbh... But like before, more ideas the better...
As a secondary thought, the Demolition Derby could be boat-themed, and have it as the Toytown Docks or sommat... I dislike the Toytown theme if I'm honest, and would see this as a good chance to make it a much more solid looking area...

spicy

Giga Poster
^ I like your ideas, wouldn't mind seeing another thrilling flat ride in there somewhere though, maybe in the Roman themed area? Something like Maelstrom at Drayton would be good, thrilling and fun but nothing too intense.

Although I cant remember the height limit for Maelstrom, its not 1.4 M is it?

Would like to see a more intense flat ride aswell, although I don't know if that would fit into Chessies target market.

DjTommyB

Hyper Poster
^ I'm definitely sure Maelstrom is 1.3. Maybe they should get something like Flip Flop at Flamingoland? I'm not sure what the height restriction for Flip Flop is though.