What's new

Chessington World Of Adventures | Croc Drop | Zamperla Sky (Drop) Tower

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Or possibly IMAScore, perhaps? Merlin seem to like using them for major projects, and I’m not complaining about it, because I love their work!
I'm always partial to a cheeky bit of IMAscore so no complaint's if not, are we aware if this has onboard audio or am i being too optimistic?

JMW

Roller Poster
I'm always partial to a cheeky bit of IMAscore so no complaint's if not, are we aware if this has onboard audio or am i being too optimistic?
One of the planning documents said;
“The ride will incorporate various sound, lighting, water and smoke effects which will enhance the narrative for both riders and spectators of the attraction.”
Interpret that as you will.

Matt N

CF Legend
Ooh, that sounds amazing! I reckon this could arguably become the UK’s version of Talocan; it’s certainly got the grand-scale theming for it!

(For clarity, I know that this ride isn’t a Top Spin. I was more referring to it being an extensively-themed flat ride with really cool effects in a similar vein to Talocan.)

Ethan

Strata Poster
Ooh, that sounds amazing! I reckon this could arguably become the UK’s version of Talocan; it’s certainly got the grand-scale theming for it!
Except Talocan's effects work after 6 months of being open!

I can see your point but I think the comparison is a little off. Talocan has the dramatic ride system and tall structure to back it up. This is a stretched out frog hopper, by the looks of it.

Matt SW

Roller Poster
Looks decent enough for what the park is trying to do and surprisingly well themed too. My only concern is the throughput which looks a bit on the low side especially when compared with other attractionsl

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
I don't think Chessington are being serious with their park... Really poor choice in hardware. Really poor choice in theme. Really poor choice just in general. Metal railings after theming.. Great slap job... Chessington always had a hook of being that family park with an adult ride spectacle, and that seemed to be its hook. Chessington no longer has a hook.

spicy

Giga Poster
6c6dec5df18657b0b3757c6ec18e5f1b.jpg

I was hoping they would reopen this queue line that went around the top of the area but can see the stairs down are still missing in that most recent picture.

Can’t make my mind up if this looks good or bad at the moment, will reserve judgment until I see it in person. Logo is still terrible though.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
I think it's the proportions that look off, if they do some good tree planting and bed it in, it will look great. Takes a few seasons for that to settle in though so it's worth looking at it in a few years to pass proper judgement.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I’m pleasantly surprised that the tower goes through the middle of it, I’d just assumed that the croc was going to be much smaller and just look like forced perspective, like the original Krake mouth.

Are those screens on the seating a permanent fixture or are they just a covid placement?

Will

Strata Poster
That does look good in the dark - it's a shame it'll probably only actually operate after sunset on a handful of days each year.

Matt N

CF Legend
The ride has opened today, and I think it looks absolutely stunning!

Here are some photos courtesy of Chessington Buzz on Facebook:

However, the cold weather today means that the ride is not rotating, and can only take 8 riders at once. As such, the queue currently sits at around 180 minutes:

EDIT: I’ve also found some photos of Blue Barnacle, which also looks amazing:

Last edited:

James F

Hyper Poster
:eek:I don't think I have ever seen a drop tower with a three hour wait, part of me thinks the park might be exaggerating to sell fast tracks. The ride looks awesome in it's presentation, but only 8 riders per cycle is ridiculous for a park with Chessington's attendance, somewhere Warldey is sighing.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
:eek:I don't think I have ever seen a drop tower with a three hour wait, part of me thinks the park might be exaggerating to sell fast tracks. The ride looks awesome in it's presentation, but only 8 riders per cycle is ridiculous for a park with Chessington's attendance, somewhere Warldey is sighing.
I've seen Condor at PA with a 3 hour wait, crazy!

oriolat2

Giga Poster
^You can't compare Condor to this.

Bloody hell, 180 ****ing minutes for such a short, dull, drop ride?

No thanks. Hard pass.

I must admit that the croc mouth themeing is on point but the ride's hardware is really poor-looking and the ride cycle is lackluster to say the least. Definitely not a worthy replacement for Rameses IMHO.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

1. I agree that it was unlikely a 3 hour wait in practice.
2. I don't think the park were selling Fastrack for Croc Drop today (though I could well be wrong here)?
3. The Merlin parks do not exaggerate queue times to sell Fastrack. The advertised queue times are decided by the Rides and Operation Teams (and sometimes automatic systems); their sole interest is in making sure the ride operates, and they have no bearing on Fastrack sales. Though the exaggerating of queue times might lead to increased Fastrack sales, it is not the purpose of it.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Let’s face it. London catchment, first public opening day, new or rusty ride ops operating a new ride, indoor attractions closed due to Covid, cold/snow affecting operations...very possible of a 3 hour queue at one point. No ride is worth 3 hours stood on your feet or sat on your bag in a queue line.

I feel gutted for CWOA. Their first notable attraction since Gruffalo and opening day is skewed due to some factors outside their control.

It still looks ace though.