What's new

Celebrity Deaths 2009 Edition

Dave

CF Legend
Ive been reading enough death jokes over the last 20 minutes. Some are brilliant, just shows how amazing we all our at making jokes over death.

Mark

Strata Poster
Simply shocked, devastated, saddened. A legend, an inspiration, a musical genius. Good bye and rest in peace.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Bill Werth is DEFINATELY dead:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Sports/Ori ... story.html

Bill Werth was dedicated to Canadian football until the end.

One of the last remaining links to the pre-war Bronks and the original Calgary Stampeders football team of 1945, he sat beside his radio and listened to the Stamps' opening pre-season game last week.

He died Monday at age 90, leaving what is believed to be just two surviving players from each of the historic teams.

"He didn't have a long career, but it was important to him," his daughter Judy Bruggencate said Wednesday. "He did it, like everything he did, to a high standard.

"Dad certainly preferred the CFL -- he'd watch the other league, the NFL--and he would call his sister, Ella Surratt, in Vancouver and talk about the (Stampeders) games."

Werth attended games until about five years ago, when it became too difficult physically. Then he relied on television and radio.

Fellow players recalled Werth, a native Calgarian, as a tough-as-nails lineman and a good teammate.

"I remember being in the pits with him in practice, head to head, and there was no give," said Bob Freeze, who also toiled with the Bronks before football folded in Calgary for the war.

"He was one of the stalwarts that kind of kept football going before the Stampeders took off."

George Alexander, recognized as one of Calgary's great players of the early days who played on both teams, said Werth was like most linemen, who did a lot of the work and didn't get much credit.

"He was a good football player and was always there," said Alexander. "He was a really good guy."

George Hansen, who played from 1959 to 1966 and is past-president of the Stampeders Alumni, said the community has lost one of the few remaining links to a pivotal time in local football history.

"When you look back to 1945 and beyond, these guys were there when it started. It's a long time ago," said Hansen.

Werth went on to become a city police officer for about a decade after his playing days, then worked as a sleeping car conductor with Canadian Pacific Railway, before launching a career as an auditor in the oilpatch. He started with Redhead Oil and retired at age 64 with Gulf Oil.

"He enjoyed sports of all sorts and passed it on to my nephews," said Bruggencate.

"Dad was a marvellous man with a dry sense of humour. He was certainly a family man and had a life well lived."

Werth was predeceased by Pearl, his wife of 65 years.

The family will hold a private service.

Lewis

Hyper Poster
^^That's a hoax apparently, the same story was used from both Tom Hanks & Tom Cruise a few years back.

They're also reporting that Harrison Ford and Brad Pitt have also died :roll:

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I was surprised to hear about Michael. It's definitely sad.

What's even more sad is that I found out through Facebook...

Xpress

Strata Poster
I was at the county fair today when they announced throughout the fair that Michael Jackson had died at like 2:36pm today, declared dead. Ironically, the theme this year was music. So sad that the king of pop had to die :(

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I don't think we'll get any bigger celeb death than Jacko this year.

I actually felt quite upset when I heard Man In The Mirror on the radio this morning.

One thing I am worried about is that the Yanks may out-do us here on the unprecedented hysteria us Brits showed when Princess Di died.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I'm amazed at how much I care, and I don't even have tickets to see him. It is truly shocking. I found out about 10.30 last night whilst pissed in Spoons and my friend cried. Really really sad.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Oh and before anybody starts sending me the jokes, I've had the following ones already...

1. The cardiac molest one.
2. The Mattel melting him down to make dolls one.
3. The Madame Tussauds one.
4. The Rest In Plastic one.
5. The difference between him and Alex Fergison one.

Thanks.

marc

CF Legend
Early reports are saying that it could be the same as what killed Heath Ledger, should find out within the next few days.

Pierre

Strata Poster
mrclam said:
erm no.. bill werth is dead.

Two ^'s show he referring to the post two above him, talking about Jeff Goldblum, I don't think he disputing the death of Bill Werth, whoever the hell he is.

kimahri

CF Legend
Apparently After MJ died, Thriller has had even more sales.
Hell I even Bought Moonwalker off play.com Incase It sold out.

Mark

Strata Poster
Yeah, I bought HIStory Volume 1 and 2 DVD this morning off amazon for the same reason. I have been meaning to buy it for ages so I don't mind really.

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
I was genuinely saddened to hear about Michael Jackson. The world has lost an artist not only through his vaults of excellent songs but through his showmanship, fantastic dancing skills and his legacy.

He will go down in History like John Lennon and Kurt Cobain. I will have to go and dig out Thriller.