What's new

Cedar Point | Valravn | B&M Dive Machine

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
I question the necessity of the vests on what I think of as B&Ms "next gen" coasters (Banshee and all the wing coasters). The fact that the thighs are locked in by the bottom part of the restraint will stop riders from falling out.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I will say though, the color of those trains could be among the best out there. Really enjoy the yellow, purple, and light blue contrast.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLqVqX_Npeg[/youtube]​

Tomatron

Giga Poster
This will be a really good Dive Coaster ruined by those rubbish restraints.

They are fine on flyers, but they made Banshee worse than it already was, and will take away the upper body freedom you feel on older B&M rides. What a shame.

GorresCoasters

Roller Poster
This ride has met my expectations. Solid layout is always a plus; I feel it could be better if the old restraints are used, and a tunnel and splashdown will help.

Tomatron just don't post twice.

EDIT: Is it just me or this is B&M's 100th coaster (See B&M on rcdb)

peep

CF Legend
I think it looks OK, good fun and yes a solid addition to a ridiculous park. But I totally agree about the restraints. I've been moaning about them since Swarm, the fact it's spreading across their entire epic catalogue of rides makes me sad, they are too restrictive and can become painful which is almost as bad as OTSR headbanging.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I will come out in support of the new restraints. I find them equally comfortable to the OTSRs, and like that the pinch point for holding in riders is shifted even more so to the waistline. What I like most of these restraints however is the additional arm room that is given with wider-berthed seats.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
OK, so it's essentially Griffon with a bit more height and an extra inversion? Meh. Ok, It'll be a nice addition to the park as a whole, but it doesn't look like it's bringing anything particularly groundbreaking to the table.

I'm getting all cynical and jaded. You may have noticed.

Whilst I don't have much experience with the new restraint design beyond Raptor and Swarm, I'm a bit concerned about their use here. I hope the vest doesn't detract from the insane, floaty airtime you get from a dive machine drop. If you're not out of your seat the whole way down, you're doing it wrong. The crazy airtime is one of the defining characteristics of a dive machine, so if they lose or tame that it'll completely ruin the ride.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
^Could not disagree more with your statement about those drops having airtime.

I was pre-enthusiast when I rode Griffon and don't remember it that much, but SheiKra's drop just kind of plopped you down. I stayed glued to my seat the whole time. I really hope that massive drop delivers...

Ethan

Strata Poster
Jarrett said:
^Could not disagree more with your statement about those drops having airtime.

I was pre-enthusiast when I rode Griffon and don't remember it that much, but SheiKra's drop just kind of plopped you down. I stayed glued to my seat the whole time. I really hope that massive drop delivers...

Really? That's honestly really strange! I've ridden Krake and Oblivion, both of which have given me fantastic airtime and I've been out of my seat the whole way down!

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Its gonna be a great ride and I don't think its a bad choice for the park so Im not hating on it but at most parks, this would be an absolute monster, a real visual prescence and intimidating coaster towering above everything else but at Cedar Point its kind of just standing there.. with little visual impact as its overshadowed by the bigger and more intimidating Millenium Force and Top Thrill Dragster. Like I said, Im not hating on it and Im sure it would blow me away considering how much I enjoy Oblivion.

Edward M

Strata Poster
About what I expected. I won't be making a trip to Ohio for this, but it will make a fine addition to the park. Dive Machines don't do much for me.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
GorresCoasters said:
EDIT: Is it just me or this is B&M's 100th coaster (See B&M on rcdb)

Sort of. Depending how you class Dueling Dragons (RCDB has it as one coaster), some on the RCDB aren't officially announced either like the USJ flyer and it might not be 100th to open so... sort of their 100th :p But its somewhere between 98th and 101st

steel

Mega Poster
cjbrandy said:
Its gonna be a great ride and I don't think its a bad choice for the park so Im not hating on it but at most parks, this would be an absolute monster, a real visual prescence and intimidating coaster towering above everything else but at Cedar Point its kind of just standing there.. with little visual impact as its overshadowed by the bigger and more intimidating Millenium Force and Top Thrill Dragster. Like I said, Im not hating on it and Im sure it would blow me away considering how much I enjoy Oblivion.

I imagine it will have a much bigger visual impact than we are giving it credit for. This will after all be the 3rd-tallest coaster at the park, and it's right on the Ohio-side coast and the Perimeter Rd. Wicked Twister is 10 ft shorter and it still makes a big impression.

I think you hit it on the nose though, at most parks this would be a 300% home run and there's no reason to assume Cedar Point guests won't love it just as much just because the park also has MF and TTD and Maverick.

Re: dive machine airtime - Griffon is in my top 5 and Oblivion is in my top ~15ish largely because their first drops are so powerful. B&M are not new to this game, they know how to make good coasters.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Totally agree steel. Valravn' visual line will be as guests look out of the park, with no backdrop of other coasters. It is going to visually dominate his neck of the park, and even visually tower over Raptor.

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
I just hope all of the seats on this train are "big boy" seats. While I'm nowhere close to being in a position where I'd need one, I don't think I would've enjoyed Gatekeeper as much as I did had I not sat in row 4 for my second ride.