What's new

Cedar Point | Steel Vengeance | RMC I-Box (Mean Streak Conversion)

Snoo

The Legend
I hope they figure it out sooner. Do you really think it takes them that long?

Yeah. Trains can cost upwards of a million plus and possible damage to the track/train needs to be avoid. Also, you don't want another crash, especially with guests.

NAPayne31

Mega Poster
Word on the street is 3 train testing has commenced, with possible goal of three train operation by Halloweekends. @NAPayne31, have you heard anything from the SV crew?

I was at the park last week, only Blackjack and Digger were running.
There are grumblings but nothing concrete. Also my NDA prevents me from really talking about Steel at all but even then we as ride ops don’t know anything. I wish I could provide more. :(

NAPayne31

Mega Poster
Double post but Steel Vengeance is has gone the El Toro route and all cell phones and loose articles are forbidden from being taken into the line. This came into effect today on July 21st.

Hutch

Strata Poster
That's an interesting scheme, perhaps it'll turn some people off and result in a somewhat shorter queue?

Now that I think about it, Universal does that with some of their coasters...wasn't a big deal for me as I had fast passes so I could leave my stuff in a locker and cycle some rides. :D

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Universal does that with some of their coasters...wasn't a big deal for me as I had fast passes so I could leave my stuff in a locker and cycle some rides. :D
See you forgot to add the word FREE when mentioning Universal lockers..... Free lockers make the difference to me. When Six Flags started mandatory lockers around 07/08 I stopped going on Superman and Mind Eraser at SFNE because I wasn't gonna pay $1 every time I wanted to go on a ride.... Great Adventure was doing it with Nitro and Toro for a while too. They since relaxed the rules (outside of Toro) but it's pretty crappy that you force gusts to use something that isn't provided. I never carry cash on me at parks either... So it was even more inconvenient!

Lofty

CF Legend
The worst offender for lockers is Cedar Fair. They're so expensive at parks like Cedar Point where there's loads of creds and you need one for each, or have one at a specific location and walk to/from it all the time.

jodon1981

Roller Poster
FWIW, it does appear that CP recently added a moveable all-day locker rental for $10 for Ride Locker Locations. While I prefer to not have to rent a locker to bring a bag into the park, $10 for the day isn't terrible.

llCoasterN3rdll

Roller Poster
The phone thing is for safety reasons. I heard that a phone flew out of someone’s pocket on TT and struck this woman’s head. There was blood running down the side of her head when they reached the brake run. I wish the GP weren’t so stupid when it came to phones. On opening day for SV, I saw 4 phones go flying in a span of 15-20 minutes. I hate the new policy as much as the next guy, but safety does come first. However, they could at least make the lockers free if they’re gonna force guests to not bring their phone on the ride and in line with them. Here is the link to the incident: http://m.nbc12.com/story/38419337/woman-injured-by-flying-cell-phone-on-roller-coaster

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
The phone thing is for safety reasons. I heard that a phone flew out of someone’s pocket on TT and struck this woman’s head. There was blood running down the side of her head when they reached the brake run. I wish the GP weren’t so stupid when it came to phones. On opening day for SV, I saw 4 phones go flying in a span of 15-20 minutes. I hate the new policy as much as the next guy, but safety does come first. However, they could at least make the lockers free if they’re gonna force guests to not bring their phone on the ride and in line with them. Here is the link to the incident: http://m.nbc12.com/story/38419337/woman-injured-by-flying-cell-phone-on-roller-coaster

Unfortunately, this is completely the case. There are plenty of solutions out there that could really alleviate this headache but parks tend to go the lucrative money-making route. Although, from their perspective, it does make sense: at a dollar-a-pop, lockers likely make a big park like Cedar Point a few million in extra cash with very little upkeep costs.

Phones on rides are becoming an increasingly common problem, and not just on these airtime machines. It seems like every hotshot is trying to film a bit for their Snapchat story or get that special selfie. The past few times I rode The Beast at night, kids had their flashlights on, which detracted from the experience. There really should be something done to encourage leaving your phone in a secure pocket or in a locker or storage bin or something...but it's up to the parks to brainstorm, implement, and enforce a more desirable policy.

llCoasterN3rdll

Roller Poster
Unfortunately, this is completely the case. There are plenty of solutions out there that could really alleviate this headache but parks tend to go the lucrative money-making route. Although, from their perspective, it does make sense: at a dollar-a-pop, lockers likely make a big park like Cedar Point a few million in extra cash with very little upkeep costs.

Phones on rides are becoming an increasingly common problem, and not just on these airtime machines. It seems like every hotshot is trying to film a bit for their Snapchat story or get that special selfie. The past few times I rode The Beast at night, kids had their flashlights on, which detracted from the experience. There really should be something done to encourage leaving your phone in a secure pocket or in a locker or storage bin or something...but it's up to the parks to brainstorm, implement, and enforce a more desirable policy.
Someone took their phone out on Maverick when it went up the lift hill and they stopped it and rolled it back down. When the train came back the ride op said “How was your selfie? Oh wait!”.

NAPayne31

Mega Poster
People were getting nailed by phones on Steve as well. The park just had to draw a final line on it as too many incidents were occurring. I’ve seen the aftermath of someone getting hit and it is not pretty.

Additionally, Cedar Point did get $10 transferable lockers this season!

Pear

Strata Poster
Why would I pay $10 for lockers when the only thing I'll need to put in them will be my phone? I usually just put everything I need in my pockets (which are secured with buttons and zippers) so paying the money to just put my phone in a locker is horrible.

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
59313_CML.jpg-495x495

https://www.duluthtrading.com/store...IRCQhLFH5kkFlIkfmgZBPdPxpiBinz6BoCO6QQAvD_BwE

Snoo

The Legend
37649851_10157554300903154_8485987136372211712_n.png

They aren't messing around. Of course.. pockets are things and they legally can't search your pockets without a warrant BUT they can remove you from the line and or park if you dont accept. Toeing a line there CP.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I so look forward to explaining to a ride operator they need be a law enforcement official with a legal warrant and probable cause to search my pockets for a cell phone.

Kicking someone out of line or not letting them in to line at Steel Vengeance over concern the guest has a cellphone is allowable - but no ride staffer will ever have a legal authority to actually look into your pockets.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I ain't no lawyer, but I'm guessing that Cedar Fair would have to define what 'loose article' actually means, should there come a time when they try to enforce something like that. For example, if it's in a secure, zipped pocket, is it 'loose'?