What's new

Canada's Wonderland |"Leviathan"| B&M HyperGiga

Darren B

Giga Poster
Re: Leviathan - B&M giga coaster for Canada's Wonderland

Whilst i think UC probably has most of this nailed, i still have to challenge the Hyper variation of the Giga argument. A hyper coaster is specifically a ride that stands between a certain height, not what the appearance of the ride is.

There are a few that slip under the blanket here for B&M, Goliath LR and there contraption in Japan, But this is purely marketing. Why would you degrade both rides by putting them into a different category, you wouldn't. The Hyper(200ft) for B&M is the standard, anything below that height may come across inferior (working on the bigger is better logic) hence why B&M and the park label it under the hyper category. They certainly won't want the same for Leviathan, It has a distinct bracket (Giga - 300-399ft) And putting this in the hyper category makes no sense, B&M will want everybody to know that they have broken a new height barrier and the park itself will not want this labeled under the same category as Behemoth (Also have we taken into account this park is run by Cedar Fair, The company who coined the Giga?)

My next point to this argument is a comparison between SD2K and lets say, Steel force. Everybody accepts that one is a hyper and the other a Giga, They both look like a hyper (Airtime hills,turnaround element,MCBR,bunny hops, infact they are similar right down to their supports) But SD2K will always be known as the later, so what makes the B&M/Giga argument any different?

As for going up against the 'big dogs' as Reddude puts it, Its good for CF, it makes better reading than spam and insults and im sure UC is enjoying the chance to flex his muscles.

Martyn B

CF Legend

UC is wrong.

This will have tons of air as you climb into the brake run!

Intricks

Strata Poster

DarrenBloomfield said:
Whilst i think UC probably has most of this nailed, i still have to challenge the Hyper variation of the Giga argument. A hyper coaster is specifically a ride that stands between a certain height, not what the appearance of the ride is.

I dont agree. A B&M hyper is their ride classification for anything that is more or less all about airtime hills and a form of turnaround whilst staying within a certain boundary on the return trip. Leviathan is as UC called it, a giga variant of the hyper layout.

There are a few that slip under the blanket here for B&M, Goliath LR and there contraption in Japan, But this is purely marketing. Why would you degrade both rides by putting them into a different category, you wouldn't. The Hyper(200ft) for B&M is the standard, anything below that height may come across inferior (working on the bigger is better logic) hence why B&M and the park label it under the hyper category. They certainly won't want the same for Leviathan, It has a distinct bracket (Giga - 300-399ft) And putting this in the hyper category makes no sense, B&M will want everybody to know that they have broken a new height barrier and the park itself will not want this labeled under the same category as Behemoth (Also have we taken into account this park is run by Cedar Fair, The company who coined the Giga?)

Goliath at SFoG is the same thing. Has a height of 200, but only drops 170. As UC has stated earlier, the companies coin terms for their rides as such. Im not going to list his examples again, but the height is varying for most companies, but have a bracket to be within.

Going with the coined term, Millennium Force wasnt their first true Giga imo, as that is literally a layout more or less seen on a Hyper/Mega coaster from Intamin. Intimidator 305 is what I consider their first true Giga as it plays more to what a Gigas strengths are, the height and speed. It plays low to the ground, has quick transitions and low end hills. Leviathan falls under the MF categorization, it isnt a true Giga, but a Giga variant of a hyper layout.

My next point to this argument is a comparison between SD2K and lets say, Steel force. Everybody accepts that one is a hyper and the other a Giga, They both look like a hyper (Airtime hills,turnaround element,MCBR,bunny hops, infact they are similar right down to their supports) But SD2K will always be known as the later, so what makes the B&M/Giga argument any different?

This is because the term and base elements for what is now considered a Giga coaster has changed. Yes, it has the height, but not the layout (again, all in my opinion). Lets bring in something new, the Wing Rider. When Raptor came out, it was dubbed a Wing Rider as the only previous similar coaster was Baco. It was similar via train only; however, now that Swarm, X-Flight and Eagle has come to fruit, B&M has coined the term Wing Coaster. We still refer to it as a wing rider based on aestetics alone, but the term has clearly evolved and a set standard has been made.

As for going up against the 'big dogs' as Reddude puts it, Its good for CF, it makes better reading than spam and insults and im sure UC is enjoying the chance to flex his muscles.

As well as others gir ;)

Point is, there is a clear standard as to when a roller coaster can be called a Giga Coaster (I305), or just a Giga Variant (MF, SD2K and Levi) basdd on recent changes on views and base standards.

Switching between the hideouts'...

reddude333

Giga Poster

Intricks said:
Point is, there is a clear standard as to when a roller coaster can be called a Giga Coaster (I305), or just a Giga Variant (MF, SD2K and Levi) basdd on recent changes on views and base standards.
MF is definitely a giga coaster as it was the first to ever don that name. It is by no means a variant...

Ben

CF Legend

DarrenBloomfield said:

Your argument is sound until the second you say "this doesn't always apply". IF you wanted to make it strictly about height because you've got OCD or something, then there can be no exceptions. There are exceptions, so it's not all about height, so your argument falls flat on its face.

But, in terms of pure ride type, does anyone actually see SD2K as anything OTHER than a large Morgan Hyper? No? Didn't think so. And what would people say if Dorney chucked a clone of it in? Which, going by recent industry standards, is probably the idea for 2013.

It's cute you think that UC has even started flexing his muscles...

Also, in terms of MF... It's only... ONLY... the first "Giga" not because it broke 300ft, because it didn't "break" 300ft at all, but because that's what Cedar Point, and NOBODY else called it. Which is where my ORIGINAL point from AGES ago came from, that it's only people who have Cedar Point's balls lodged permanently in their mouth that go by that silly classification scheme. What Cedar Point market their coasters as has NO bearing on what the industry and enthusiasts as a whole should, or do, classify coasters as. Simple. If I was to suddenly start marketing myself as an Eastern European girl with three tits and beer instead of milk, it wouldn't exactly hold much weight in terms of what others classified me as, would it?

Intricks

Strata Poster

reddude333 said:
Intricks said:
MF is definitely a giga coaster as it was the first to ever don that name. It is by no means a variant...

How so? It has a more hyper based layout. Like I said, it is entirely my opinion, and based on the new standard, MF is just a Giga variant of their Hyper/Mega. Yes, it got the term 'Giga' started, but that was a height marker. Same goes with SD2K, it hits the height marker for it to be called a Giga Coaster, but the layout is literally Magnum with 100 added feet. When they first opened, 11 years ago, that was the standard. The introduction of I305 has changed said standard, which is why I consider I305 Intamins first true Giga, as its layout isnt seen on any other type of Hyper/Mega coaster.

MF made the term, I305 set the standard, or we wouldnt be having this **** argument ^-^

Switching between the hideouts'...

Martyn B

CF Legend

UC said:
So, following the website, which category would you put the wing rider in? Just because B&M rarely updates their website does not mean that they do not have a new ride type a.k.a. Leviathan/giga

The logical choice is to put the ride where it fits until a better category comes along.

This is the exact same style of ride - same trains, same track (obviously), same everything - as a B&M Hyper.

So let me ask you then - what exactly makes this ride system (the trains, the equipment, anything?) any different than a B&M Hyper? Is it the banked turns? Because if it is, you should look up Raging Bull. Is it the height? Well then why do B&M call La Ronde's Goliath a "B&M Hyper Coaster," despite it being under 200 ft?

Also, where on the website does it say that B&M Hypers MUST be below 300 feet? Why can't you have a 300 ft. B&M Hyper?

B&M Hyper is a product name. Just as Intamin refer to their 200-299 ft. coasters as "Mega" coasters, despite that convention being for rides from 100-199' tall. It is a product name.

This really is simple stuff.

Similar, yes. I would not say identical though. You said it yourself, this is a speed coaster, not airtime, while Behemoth is the opposite.

No, it is an identical ride type. They are both considered B&M Hypers.

You need to learn the difference between a layout style and a ride type.

For example, Raging Bull has a very twisted ride layout - far different than, say, the basic out-and-back of a ride like Behemoth. However, both are considered B&M Hypers.

Height is really nothing but a layout style.

The ride really has the same amount of overbanks (2) as airtime hills (2). Given the tight restrictions imposed from the parking lot, staff buildings and courtyard eating area, it seems to me like they just put in what worked in a certain area.

It has three overbanks.

1. Directly following the first drop.

2. The hammerhead (a type of overbank).

3. Just before the brake run.

As for location, I don't think I commented on where it went, did I? Merely that the layout is completely uninspired.

Glad to hear that you have ridden it and can confirm this. The fact is, until the coaster is open, we do not know this for sure. Many people believed that Behemoth would have little or no airtime and claimed to know this because "its the same as every B&M hyper", they were wrong. My point is, a B&M can surprise you.

No, they weren't wrong. Behemoth has floater airtime, which is airtime that hovers around, or just barely below, the 0 G mark. This is the feeling of weightlessness. However, to many (and had you been around this site beyond a few months), true airtime is the feeling of ejector air. B&M coasters do not give ejector air.

See the shaping of those hills? It's parabolic. It is designed to minimize forces as much as possible, in the interest of safety and reliability. While it's too much for me to assume you understand the mathematics behind it, let me just say that parabolas are the ideal path for an object in flight to take.

Whereas Intamin coasters are designed to give ejector air (the path of the train taking a different path than natural forces want you to take, by pulling you down quicker than you're used to), B&M coasters are designed to follow natural parabolas as closely as possible.

This ride is no different. Neither was Behemoth. Except, of course, for the fact that this has a fraction of the hills.

How could it possibly make less sense? You said it yourself, this is a speed coaster while Behemoth is airtime. Lets not forget, height and speed is always something that attracts people and this addition will return a good ROI. Sounds like putting it here was a good idea after all.

1. It should be a speed coaster. Perhaps you didn't understand the parts of my post where I commented on how the addition of the hills completely kills the pacing a design like this should have...?

The hills - especially the way B&M designs them - are going to be lulling, gentle additions. Physics dictates that it will crush the pacing of what is otherwise a 90+ mph tank.

An ideal design - as I had said above - would've been more along the lines of I305, where the beginning of the ride focuses on snap transitions and quick directional changes, to truly give the feel of your 90+ mph (and believe me, I305 does this well) - and save the hills for the end of the ride.

Also, I'll add that I'd be much more willing to look past the two hills and the subsequent pacing hits if the ride did anything else besides the two hills. But, it doesn't.

2. It is, literally, the same ride type. You need to understand that a different layout does not make the ride type different.

I look at that layout and get excited for height, speed, potential for forces and airtime.

Height, sure. Speed, sure.

Forces? Maybe in the overbanks. Maybe. If you get something like, say, Nitro's helix, good. If you get something like Nitro's hammerhead, ugh. And don't get me started on things like Silver Star.

Airtime? Then you A. have no understanding of the mathematics behind these rides and B. are completely delusional.

Then apparently, you have never saw this. That's about as basic of a hyper layout you can have.

Oh? Then I counter you with this:

http://www.rcdb.com/478.htm?p=9959

Except...oh wait. Those two designs are good. Why? Because they do something.

But now let's look at the facts, shall we?

1. Behemoth and Leviathan are the same ride type. They are both B&M Hypers.

2. Behemoth has five legitimate hills, an overbank, and two helixes. Leviathan has two hills and three overbanks.

3. Behemoth's selling point is its hills. Therefore, it contains a fair amount of them (at least as far as modern rides of this style are concerned). Leviathan's selling point is its height and speed. Apart from the first drop, there really is no height - and the speed is murdered twice in the middle of the course by large hills.

So, what you're essentially getting with Leviathan is a first drop and a few seconds of speed. Know what other "great, inspired" layouts do that?

http://www.rcdb.com/2832.htm?p=12542

http://www.rcdb.com/1896.htm?p=5924

Except...oh wait. Those two rides have some pretty unreal launches to boot.

I don't know about you, but given the choice between a ride of substance (Behemoth), and a ride that can't even seem to figure itself out (Leviathan), I know which one I'd choose. You can talk about your height and your "unique 300 ft. B&M" - and I'll talk about legitimate ride experience - you know, the thing that actually makes a ride good.

How do we know what B&M calls this particular ride type? They have never made a 300'+ coaster before and have not updates their website. For all that we know, they may very well call this a giga.

I know what it's called right now. It's called a Hyper.

Why?

1. It has the exact same traits as their Hypers.

2. There is nothing that says otherwise.

Let's do an experiment, shall we?

Suppose I'm running a fast food joint, and you come up to get some food. I don't have any menus, but you can see what appear to be American french fries cooking in the fryer. So, feeling hungry, you ask for some fries.

How would you feel if I sat there and said, "Oh, we don't sell fries." You'd probably think "What the hell?" This would be, of course, right before I tell you that I like to call them "Potato Fingers."

So, you're a bit annoyed, but you order some potato fingers. They look, feel, and taste exactly like french fries. Are you going to tell everyone you had potato fingers? Or are you going to tell everyone you had fries, and some weird guy running the place called them potato fingers?

If you're a normal, logical human being, you're going to do the second.

My point is that for now, this is called a Hyper, because it is the exact same system - and sorry, but height divisions created by enthusiasts don't change that. However, looking forward, even if B&M were to label it a Giga (which I doubt they will, seeing as they tend to divide rides by type, not by selling point), it is still the exact same system as their current Hyper. Just as Intamin's Megas, Mega-Lites, and Gigas are the exact same ride system.

After all, are you going to argue with me that Storm Runner and Xcelerator are different ride types?

Well, according to your logic, you'd better:

http://www.intaminworldwide.com/amuseme ... fault.aspx

http://www.intaminworldwide.com/amuseme ... fault.aspx

Does hyper not indicate height? If Vekoma was to refer to their Boomerang as a hyper would we believe them? Likely not.

Oh?

MACK refer to their general loopers as "Mega" coasters. Yet they don't have to top 100 ft.

Vekoma refers to its LSM coasters as "Mega" coasters. Yet they don't top 100 ft.

Intamin's 200' coasters are referred to as "Mega" coasters, despite being in what would be considered the "Hyper" range.

So could it be, that these terms are used to market rides, and not necessarily have to do with their height?

Yes, it could be, because that's exactly what it is.

This really isn't rocket science.

The terms are generally associated with BOTH height and drop. For example, Magnum XL-200 would be referred to as a hyper, as its height is between 200' and 299' while Apollo's Chariot would also be considered a hyper as its drop is between 200' and 299' even though its height is below 200'.

Oh?

So Manhattan Express (now called "Roller Coaster") is considered a hypercoaster, despite only having a 144' drop?

http://www.rcdb.com/139.htm

How about Speed the Ride, which only achieved its height on a reversal spike?

http://www.rcdb.com/593.htm

Nice try. It's based on drop length, because only then can you have a true measure of height. Magnum are only 205' tall because of the position of their starting points. Place it on flat ground, however, and it's not 200'. Manhattan Express would only be 144'.

Hence why the convention is to measure drop height - not total height.

So we suspect. However, as I have pointed out above, we DO NOT know what B&M will call this ride type.

See above.

Yes, and no. We would still use the enthusiast ranking system, which is mega/hyper/giga, yet we would accept the term SuperBig as correct as that would be the model name. For example, a Vekoma Boomerang. No one would argue if I was to say that its a sit down looper or a shuttle coaster (because it is) or if I was to call it by the model name, Boomerang.

And this model name, currently, is a B&M Hyper. That is what Ben was referring to. Did you even read his posts?

This really isn't hard.

If B&M called their 200'-299' coaster SuperBigs while they called their 300'-399' InsaneAwesomeCoaster, we would be calling Behemoth a SuperBig AND a hyper, and we would be calling Leviathan an InsaneAwesomeCoaster AND a giga.

Yeah, and what did I say Leviathan was?

Me said:
Leviathan is a Giga coaster variant of a B&M Hyper Coaster.

So...what exactly is your argument?

The ride type is, currently, a B&M Hyper. It is also a Giga coaster.

What makes more sense? Speculate on a product name that doesn't exist (nor do we have any confirmation it ever will exist), or utilize an existing product name that identifies with an identical coaster equipment type?

You cannot honestly think you have a valid argument.

This does use it's height to actually do something. It uses it's height to gain enough energy to navigate the layout completely, which INCLUDES airtime hills.

No, it includes hills - these hills aren't going to provide airtime. We've talked about this above. However, that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

By your logic, I could say that ANY coaster uses ANY part of it to do ANYthing. The fact of the matter is that this layout is incredibly limited.

Compare it to, say, I305 - and tell me which ride truly makes better use of its speed and energy.

Hint - it's the Intamin.

Did you yourself not call this a giga variant of a hyper? "Giga Hyper" pretty much means exactly that. In this case, hyper would refer to the B&M model name (assuming thats what it is) and the giga would refer to the ride height.

Here's a tip for the future: You should make sure you actually UNDERSTAND what you're quoting before you comment on it.

If you had read my post and the ones before it, you would note that my point there was to VALIDATE the difference between the enthusiast height convention "Giga" and the B&M product name "Hyper."

To call it a "Giga Hyper" and utilize "hyper" in the sense of enthusiast height convention makes no sense.

Also, it equally makes no sense to utilize "hyper" in the sense of layout style, as was the individual that I had quoted.

Therefore, when you utilize the term "Giga Hyper," you are only basing the "hyper" term off of height - whereas the hyper term here is used in terms of product name. To do anything else would be redundant.

Understand?

So, when someone agrees with your OPINION, you call it the "most realistic viewpoint in this entire topic."

Well, I certainly wouldn't call it the worst viewpoint...

The FACT is, we DO NOT know if it will have airtime or not. You can suspect that it will not, but that is when I call back in my Behemoth example above.

Your Behemoth example? Behemoth behaves exactly how I said it would, because it is mathematically designed to do so.

Just as this ride is.

I think your problem here is my definition of airtime. I define it as being far greater than 0Gs, because 0Gs is defined as weightlessness. Behemoth gives 0G's (and close to it). If you consider the floating to be "airtime," well, that's your issue. Everyone here knows what I mean, and my post was intended on that fact. If you're going to argue me about it, you'd better understand what you're talking about.

I hope you do now, anyway, given that is the second time I've explained it to you (along with a myriad of other misconceptions you apparently have about both myself and the industry in general).

so stop calling your opinion the realistic viewpoint.

So I know how these rides are designed, all of the ones in the past of this type have essentially hit exactly what I expected they would, and I'm not to call myself realistic?

Get over it. I can't tell if you're angry because I don't agree with you that this is the "Christ" of rides, but you need to understand that yes, like it or not, I know what I'm talking about. I certainly do feel that what I've said is the most realistic viewpoint, and you're not going to change that. Sorry. I trust my years of education in mathematics and actual experience in matters like this far over your "Well, uh...you don't really know!"

How can you justify that it won't have any? B&M has a coaster with GREAT airtime on the other side of the park, so don't say that this will not have any. Until someone actually rides the coaster, and confirms no airtime, don't state your opinion on the airtime of the coaster and try to pass it off as fact because it is not.

Read above. It IS fact.

The airtime hills might be more drawn out, but would that not result in the same airtime since the speed is greater?

tight/sharp airtime hill + slower speed= x amount of airtime
longer/drawn out airtime hill + faster speed = x amount of airtime.
x represents the same amount of airtime in the above.

This is your problem - you have no concept of the mathematics involved.

These hills are designed on a precise parabola - because they are, the speed at which they are taken is irrelevant. The parabolas are curved in such a way as to come to a sharp point, precisely timed with the loss of speed at the apex of a curved flight pattern.

As such, the ride will continue to bleed off speed in an exponential manner until it reaches the zenith of the hill, at which point the hill sharply points downward (coincidental with the manner in which the train decelerates), and will gradually increase again as the train gains speed.

Note how the hill comes to a defined point:

http://www.rcdb.com/10108.htm?p=37263

This is the simplest picture I can find. It's what you get when you throw a ball in the air and allow natural forces to act upon it. B&M's hills operate on the same basic principle (albeit with far more complicated calculations):

http://www.antonine-education.co.uk/Phy ... grph_2.gif

In doing so, you experience - as close to possible - what your body naturally wants to experience. A natural deceleration followed by a natural acceleration. This also reduces wear and tear on the train and track itself.

On hills that aren't designed to be this type of parabola, your body is pulled downwards quicker than it wants to be, by matter of the upstop wheels on the bottom of a train. What this produces is a negative G force - where inertia wants to take your body upwards (as that is how it is naturally accelerating), but the track forces the train (and thus your body) downwards - creating the feeling of being "ejected" from the train (when in reality, you're not being ejected, the train is just dropping faster than your body wants to).

It's not even close to what you've described - you're basing your assessment off of RCT physics, and that is not how actual rides are designed.

I know you stated above that you were an engineer, but I did not realize you were an engineer who works for B&M.

I don't work for B&M. However, should you ever get involved in engineering, you'll find that while people manipulate mathematics to suit their needs, the mathematics and physics involved are always the same.

So while I don't work for B&M, I don't have to in order to understand what they're doing. I mean, you don't need to be a race car driver to know that if you take a turn too fast, you're probably going to flip or spin out your car.

In fact, the engineer in me thinks they do a fantastic job. As far as engineering goes, Leviathan is a masterpiece - the way the track is laid out, the curves they've put in, the way the hills are shaped, it's beautiful. They're creating a ride that will be incredibly reliable, that won't wear out parts nearly as fast as its brethren in its height range, and that is unbelievably structurally sound. If I were Canada's Wonderland, I'd be incredibly pleased with the design and the product I'm getting.

...the thing is, I'm not Canada's Wonderland. The only thing this ride will matter to me for is the experience it gives - and as well engineered as it may be, the over-engineering on the ride itself does lend it certain traits that will detract from the experience, at least as far as many enthusiasts (who care about such things) are concerned.

I think its outlandish to say that the only reason the two airtime hills are there is because it has so many overbanks. I believe the more logical conclusion is that there were restrictions with space while designing the coaster, such as having to go over top of the parking lot and the first high speed curve.

If you're referring to that "I guarantee the only reason..." part of my post, it was blatantly sarcasm. Again, my post was intended for an audience that I felt:

A. Knew me, or
B. Understood sarcasm.

You certainly don't fit the former, and you apparently don't fit the latter.

Until B&M actually identify what the product name is by updating their website, we can only assume this and continue calling it a giga since it is between 300' and 399' and that is the accepted term.

Correct. We can only assume that the product is a B&M Hyper coaster, that happens to fit the Giga enthusiast-defined height convention. Completely agree.

We really do not know what B&M calls this. As mentioned above, the tags on the rebar said "Giga Coaster Caps" on them, however this may not be B&M's term as they are not responsible for footers. However, this picture of the blueprints seems to hint that B&M may call it a giga after all.

Well, as I've said above, it really doesn't matter what they call it - the ride system is the same.

Again, do you really consider Xcelerator and Storm Runner to be different coaster types because one has inversions? Or do you consider them to be the same coaster type that happens to be marketed in two different ways?

I know what 99% of enthusiasts and their reference sites (such as rcdb.com) think - they consider it the same ride type.

And to be honest, inversions vs. no inversions is a far bigger difference maker in terms of ride experience than an extra 60 ft. on to the lift height is.

However, that said, if you want to play semantics, this ride is currently known as a B&M Hyper that falls under the enthusiast defined height convention of Giga. I never argued that - merely defined the difference between a product name and a height convention.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

Reminds me of the old days, this. The legends tell of the Stealth construction topic. We saw something similiar back when Dive Coaster was constructed. One of UC's posts in the "existence of a god" topic got an entire poll up, asking people who had debated in the topic if they had read the entire post.

Ahh... nostalgia.

Also, this coaster looks great. I decide to classify as a "tall big thingy with rails" (TBTWR, you heard it here first). Does this satisfy everyone?

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

^Sounds good to me, all this debate about height/naming/ride type won't be solved until B&M updates their website to a) list it as a B&M hyper or b) put up a new category for it. So its pretty pointless bickering.

About the layout as I've said before, B&M did what they could with the space they were given. I'm just impressed they got a coaster of this length (not saying much on for this type of coaster) into the park at all. We can't compare it to I305 because they didn't have nearly enough space to fit that kind of layout in, and as much as a speed buzz kill the hills are at least one of them is there to go over something.

Was it the best coaster for the park? hell no. But it's here to stay and I think that as Tay said if you want airtime go ride the coaster on the other side of the park. If you want less (or no...to be debated) airtime but more speed and height then ride this coaster. If you don't like it don't ride it.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Now that my scroll wheel is dead... :roll:

There is no need to split hairs over the hyper vs. giga classification. Look to Intamin; both their giga and mega models share the exact same trains, track styles, etc. The only difference is height.

Regardless of what Leviathan will be classified as (for now we'll go with the default Giga class), it really doesn't matter: it will still ride just like a B&M Hyper, albeit taller.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ Exactly.

1. Bingo.

2. Color vs. Colour - it's the same thing.

You can still be perplexed as to CW's roller coaster selection, but there really isn't anything that confusing about the specific ride.

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster

^^ Don't think your arguments have substantially more substance than anyone elses.

"Hyper Coaster" is the marketing name used by B&M for their product that does not invert and uses one of two specific train types.

Using the same ride system, with a different train type and put some inversions on and you get a "Looping Coaster". Change the trains again, and put a moving floor system in the station and you're at a "Floorless Coaster"

And if we're further talking ride systems differing, look at the ride system on Nemesis and then look at the one on the new PA inverted coaster, and I can tell you you'll fund a huge amount more difference than there is between a modern looper and a moder hyper behind the scenes...

OK, agree that trains are part of the ride system, but you should see my above reasoning to a certain extent.

I think the differences between this coaster and B&Ms previous hyper are:
1) The type of layout- it is not the typical B&M parabola hill after parabola hill layout. We're seeing alot of low to the ground 'hops' and turns
2) The ride system- they're using a whole new type of track for the lift hill for example

I think the type of layout will be most defining here to be honest. In the end, I can see B&M using a term more like 'Speed Coaster' than 'Giga Coaster'.

However, the main point I will raise is as follows:

Why would a park buy two mega coasters?

Would a park buy one giga coaster and one mega coaster? CW already did. I expect when they marketed it to them, B&M did NOT say, 'how about another hyper?' And B&M would be STUPID to pass up the opportunity to sell a 'Giga' or whatever they're calling it to another park that already owns a hyper.

The strategy is simple: the more products in your portfolio, the more you can sell to your existing clients.

B&M's terminology is just as important on a product level as it is on a marketing level (even if not directly marketing to riders, they are to parks)

Darren B

Giga Poster

So after all is said and done can we also establish that MF is a mega coaster in ride type and a giga in height? Looks at UC

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster

I don't have the time to go through and dissect your whole post but to summarise, I disagree with around 50% of it.

Some highlights:
-It is not true that coaster companies will not pitch ideas to parks who have not requested them- why else would they go and advertise at IAAPA, for example. And there, having a 'new product type' is always going to attract new customers
-Your argument about Eejanaika makes no sense. Any coaster that has inversions immediately withdraws itself from having the title 'hyper coaster'. Please point out a hyper coaster with inversions?
-On your why did Europa install two watercoasters- you prove my own point. One is a watercoaster, one is a supersplash- Mack believes they are two products and so has called them that. SFNE: inverted boomerang and a boomerang- different types of product, different product names (again).... and I would expect the same as CW
-Your final examples are generally pretty stupid and tenuous. Essentially where it comes to it B&M will decide where they believe that it is worth naming a product differently, so that they can market it as an alternative/new option to parks. You response to this is utterly uninformed from a business perspective. If B&M see the 300+ft market with low speed hills and turns as a new market, they will name the product separately.

Your coaster knowledge is spot on. I agree. Congrats. But where you fail is having no understanding of the fact that even the largest companies have to market themselves and new products. Yes, half of B&Ms new deals come from relationships and reputations (maybe more than half), but they also have to maintain market prominence- new products etc. Why would they pass up the opportunity in this case? It would be plain stupid. By renaming, they can now go back and sell a B&M whatever-they-call-it to parks with a B&M hyper.

To give you an example, I have worked for some time in a leading investment bank, a similar industry to coasters (a few big players only and a handful of smaller). Goldmann Sachs (not the bank Im currently in) has the repetitional standing on the same level as B&M in the coaster world- they effectively do not need to pitch new ideas. However, I know for a fact they do. And any new 'technology' they can develop that is marginally different to old technology, they will give a new name to etc etc. Its a simple rule of business.

B&M will do the same with this new coaster.

Essentially, all steel coasters without a launch/powered and no spinning etc mechanisms are EXACTLY the same thing, whether you hang below or sit up top- its a mass of steel you move along under gravity through various elements.

Perhaps we shouldn't even have the terms looping, hyper, floorless etc. You have to draw the line at some point and, you know what, (i) your definitions sometimes won't align with other peoples and you have to accept that, and where there's no definitive factual answer, you have to respect peoples views and not simply force everyone into your views and (ii) you have to accept that every term is simply marketing jargon anyway, so your 'facts' are entirely based on terms that have been decided on by participants in the industry, typically to market products (if not directly)

Also:
-2009 was two years ago. Of course its updated infrequently. Welcome to a month away from 2012

I didn't have time to try and make my argument flow - please feel free to rip it apart as you usually do. I'm entitled to a view, and would rather you only pick apart things which are factually wrong and can be proved as such rather than as standard, you using your own examples to force your own view upon everyone else.

It could be called a Hyper, it could be called a Giga, it could be called a Speed coaster, but it definitely is a >300ft sit down coaster with 4 across cars, no inversions and a mostly 'low to ground' layout (when compared with other tall coasters).

My view is that it will be added to B&Ms portfolio under a different name.
UC's view is that it will be simply another Hyper Coaster. That's cool by me.
Nobody has to win. B&M will have their own motives ultimately, regardless.

Ben

CF Legend

coasterdude_1 said:
-Your argument about Eejanaika makes no sense. Any coaster that has inversions immediately withdraws itself from having the title 'hyper coaster'. Please point out a hyper coaster with inversions?

http://www.rcdb.com/123.htm?p=0

There.

The rest of your argument is just as flawed, but, this is UC's post to rip up.

You're seriously over-estimating how much this strays from the normal hyper model. It is literally just taller. Even Millennium Force had a different lift type at least...

The coaster type for this, whatever you call it, is still the same, and always will be the same, as Behemoth. End. Trying to stretch it to be any different is seriously ridiculous.

Darren B

Giga Poster

Ben said:
coasterdude_1 said:

http://www.rcdb.com/123.htm?p=0

There.

But surely prior to Morgan's conversion this was simply an Arrow looper? otherwise you could start putting dive machines into the equation, which just doesn't work.

Ben

CF Legend

^If that's just a tall Arrow Looper, then you have just validated all of what UC and I have been saying, and agree Leviathan is just a tall B&M Hyper.

As well as really missed the point, but, whatever, you're agreeing.

Darren B

Giga Poster

^What i am saying is it WAS an Arrow looper, once the loops were removed then it became a hyper. Just like if you stuck an inversion on Behemoth it would then become a sit-down looper, removing it from the hyper category.

Ben

CF Legend

Yeah, you're still agreeing with UC and me.

It was a big Arrow looper. Like Leviathan is a big B&M hyper. If they suddenly made it... not a B&M hyper, then it could be a different ride type.

Also, your logic is flawed anyway. Unless Son of Beast was a looper, not a woodie? You can be... *drum roll please*... BOTH! Like, this is a giga varient on the hyper/mega ride type.

This really isn't as complicated as you're all making it. A 200ft Floorless coaster would be a hyper varient of the Floorless coaster ride type. This is a giga varient of the Hyper ride type.

JESUS.

Darren B

Giga Poster

I get where your coming from now, But no im not quite agreeing with what you are saying...yet, Im going on the fact we judge a mega/hyper/giga by the important fact that we exclude inversions or launches. Steel phantom was always an Arrow looper, never a Hyper/looper until its conversion, where it lost the former title and took on the later. Now it's just simply a Hyper. It has never been classed as both.

As far as SOB goes, I haven't a **** ING clue!! i shall let you fight that one out :D