What's new

Canada's Wonderland |"Leviathan"| B&M HyperGiga

Martyn B

CF Legend
I agree about this originally being planned for anther park, and possibly with a different layout. I mean, that brake run was clearly going to be an MCBR at some point...

Ben

CF Legend
Martyn B said:
I agree about this originally being planned for anther park, and possibly with a different layout. I mean, that brake run was clearly going to be an MCBR at some point...

No, it clearly wasn't.

The brake runs on B&M Hypers are usually quite high going into them, and this is clearly then level so it can pass over the coaster it's built directly above.

Tell me, what would it exactly do after that?

It IS hideous though.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Oh right, it kinds makes sense now. Though I dont really see the need for it be level, as from the photo's I've seen, its nowhere near the coaster below it.

D1993

Hyper Poster
I dont think the brake run looks *that* bad.
Sure, its not pretty, but it doesnt ruin anything for me really.
After all, it is just a brake run.
Nitro's is pretty long too and just hopefully trains dont stack too much on Leviathan.
Ive noticed with behemoth, diamondback and intimidator the trains do seem to stack at times (just from observation from povs and offride footage).
If anything, I would rather complain that there should be another station where riders unload (such as millennium force), instead of having a long brake run

emery96

Roller Poster
Ben said:
Venom, there's been hints that this wasn't always meant for CW, instead for another Cedar Fair park. This is what I was alluding to.

Martyn B said:

It was always intended for CW, it says so in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQxNZj0r ... r_embedded

As for the brake run, it really is the same as every other B&M Hyper, it just does not have a MCBR, so it has an extra long brake run to allow for 3 train operation.

Ben

CF Legend
emery96 said:
Ben said:
Venom, there's been hints that this wasn't always meant for CW, instead for another Cedar Fair park. This is what I was alluding to.

Martyn B said:

It was always intended for CW, it says so in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQxNZj0r ... r_embedded

No.

She says "was it created for CW", which she says it was. That's not the same as it always being intended for there. If the layout was designed for CW (obviously it was), then it'll have been created for them, and thus, she's right. Her answer is actually pretty diplomatic on that, and she chooses her words carefully, which, if anything, suggests more that it was originally intended for somewhere else, and then created for CW.

D1993

Hyper Poster
Well the 'ride time' may be fairly short, I would say its going to take some time to get to the top of that lift.
Obviously, B&M coasters these days go faster than they used to (eg. intimidator vs nitro), but 300 feet is still a long way to climb by lift chain.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I'm almost positive that I saw a photo of a box of chain links somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look through God knows how many pictures on CWMania.

Geez that really is ugly. I also didn't realize in the animation that it's higher than Dragon Fire's lift hill. I'm also starting to notice just how big the coaster is now that they're building towards the entrance. That hill is absolutely massive!

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Yea it's a chain, here's the base gear..

leviathan34.jpg

Source: http://www.cwmania.com/gallery/thumbnai ... 42&page=13

D1993

Hyper Poster
That long climb is gonna scare the crap out of some people haha.
I wonder for some reason if it will go much faster than usual?
Perhaps B&M have come up with something new?

Well, really, to be honest, I like the slow climb. It gives you time to look around at the other rides and look at the park and freak yourself out a little bit! :)

Lofty

CF Legend
I thought that from the Concept Video etc, it actually had a fast lift. Some chain lifts can be pretty rapid! To be totally honest, due to the coaster being the way it is and the fact it's going to draw a lot of people to the park, they're going to want to maximise on capacity, I highly doubt they'd go for a crawling lift speed.

bob_3_

Giga Poster

Well no. Seeing as this ride is already quite abit longer than any coaster B&M have ever done before.

Considering the cost of the thing I very much doubt anyone woulda wanted a longer layout.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
The start of that brake run looks as high as a lot of the B&M MCBRs out there.

They COULD have had an idea for one with more track after at some point and scaled back due to costs, but who knows?

Looks fine to me as is.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
This looks like it's going to be quite fun:

388508_10150439436943924_95469803923_8704412_1024003336_n.jpg

There's the possibility that B&M has a sketch or sketches of a eight or nine thousand foot long giga coaster somewhere, and it may have a mid course brake run positioned around the same point as Leviathan's brake run. We'll never find out if it exists though.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
^That's why it's a concept sketch. Companies do that all the time. GCI has released sketches of racing and dueling woodies that have never been built, The Gravity Group has released concepts for their Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain lookalike, and Martin & Vleminckx has released sketches for multiple roller coasters that haven't been built yet. If you've ever been to an Auto Show, you'd see many many concept cars that never make it to production.

Yes, a concept for a B&M giga of that length would probably be close to fifty million, but that's why we'll never see a production of it. That doesn't mean that the sketches and ideas aren't there. We just don't see them because B&M doesn't release their concepts.