What's new

Canada's Wonderland |"Leviathan"| B&M HyperGiga

D1993

Hyper Poster
Re: Leviathan - B&M giga coaster for Canada's Wonderland

Hixee said:
^Do you not think that might be something to do with trying to miss all the other attractions and paths already underneath the coaster? It looks to me like they're having to use supports and funny angles to make sure they don't get too close to anything. :p

I was just under the impression they were going to make it like that anyways, to reduce cost and have the right amount of support etc

ry1996

Mega Poster

Well if it was me who owned the park, that building would be gone regardless, however the park has said it will just be re-themed just like the rest of the area.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

Beauty at its finest :O
I am riding this on opening day, front row.

D1993

Hyper Poster

^I know I wish I could be there opening day!
Australia is just a 'little' far from Canada. Lol.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

Wow, I wondered how they were going to taper out the huge spine of the lift hill.. turns out they arn't, and it just heads straight to the ground as a support.. clever. Its very I305.

Josh73

Giga Poster

That's a steep drop; I love it. I want but CW, is in the city, and my family likes beaches, yadday, yadda, yadda :roll: I'm really liking the look of B&M's first Giga, hopefully more to come!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

That's a great idea of B&M to continue the spine to the ground, but I wish they would have painted it the support color. That just looks bad.

Martyn B

CF Legend

374624_10150358238588924_95469803923_8438490_1801720991_n.jpg

374624_10150358238593924_95469803923_8438491_941140603_n.jpg

:D

Lofty

CF Legend

I totally understand the need for that spine to continue to the floor, but as Antinos said above, paint the **** thing the same colour as the other supports. It looks horrid. It reminds me of the Box Spine from Scwarzkopf Loopers.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

Do you mean the whole spine from station to station or just the portion that leave the track? I think it looks pretty cool. Is it possible that B&M will do this with all there future giga's?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I'm in two minds about this. Part of me thinks it looks a bit clunky and awful, but there's another part of me that kinda likes the way the track appears to peel off the support. It's almost like it dives out of hitting the ground at the last minute.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

Looking really nice now and tbh, the (elongated spine?) doesn't look too bad, infact it emphasizes the fact that the drop is almost vertical. :--D

Looking at these pics though, it seems to completely dwarf dragon fire, and the blue leviathan supports don't look good against dragon fire's green. Hate to criticize but the cross beam between the largest support looks slightly irregular too...

But meh, Dragon fire is now small and insignificant. :--D

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

CoasterCrazy said:

And when did it ever have significants ? Its one of the oldest rides in the park and the corkscrews aren't exactly smooth.

reddude333

Giga Poster

The support for this coaster is no doubt unique and a bit odd but I think that will make it stand out (for now). It's coming together much differently than I would have guessed.

D1993

Hyper Poster

CoasterCrazy said:
Looking really nice now and tbh, the (elongated spine?) doesn't look too bad, infact it emphasizes the fact that the drop is almost vertical. :--D

Looking at these pics though, it seems to completely dwarf dragon fire, and the blue leviathan supports don't look good against dragon fire's green. Hate to criticize but the cross beam between the largest support looks slightly irregular too...

Kinda agree with you there. I see no problem at all with the extension of the spine going into the ground, it looks cool and shows how the drop is nearly vertical.

But the contrasting colors I think dont really matter at all.
Im liking the way Leviathan looks, and it will make dragon fire slightly better, because while on that ride its going to be awesome being below such a huge coaster.

And I dont understand what you mean about the cross beams. They look perfectly fine to me.

reddude333

Giga Poster

^I think CoasterCrazy's referring to the diagonal one on the top support coming of the spine on the lift hill. While I agree that it makes the coaster look slightly lop-sided it is probably for structural integrity which I can understand.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

Martyn B said:

^What I mean, is that....

If you look at the highest supports for the lift hill and go down until the sideways crossbar you will see another, diagonal crossbar directly below it.

Is it really needed?

I can see why they called it Leviathan...it is a BEAST!

D1993

Hyper Poster

^ Oh ok, I see which support you meant now.
Well um, is it really a big deal? Or a deal at all?
Im sure the support is there for a reason, the more supported the ride is, the better.

Personally I doesnt really bother me at all. Kinda actually reminds me of the Knex coasters that always had the cross beams like that.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

The more triangles you have in a support, the better. A triangle is the strongest geometric shape because you cannot change the shape of the object by changing the angles without changing the length of a side. That support needs to hold up a lot of weight, so it's probably a good idea to beef up the support a bit.