What's new

Busch Gardens Tampa | Falcon's Fury | Intamin Drop Tower

Hutch

Strata Poster
10014747_10152287070485239_672347261_o.jpg

Lofty

CF Legend
The new paint job to resemble a sunset is stunning...... Just joking, it's still a foul block colouring.

bmac

Giga Poster
Time constraints wouldn't allow for the tower to be painted like planned. The thing has been behind schedule pretty much the entire time.

bmac

Giga Poster
FF had its first drop tests today, it dropped a total of 7 times but the seats were not tilted for any of the drops.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0DjD7IS8gU[/youtube]

andrus

Giga Poster
It breaks very high up the tower!! :eek: Hopefully the face-down possition will compensate for the early breaking; otherwise I fancy drop towers that break really far down, like the one at KD!

_koppen

Hyper Poster
andrus said:
It breaks very high up the tower!! :eek: Hopefully the face-down possition will compensate for the early breaking; otherwise I fancy drop towers that break really far down, like the one at KD!

Yup, it breaks pretty high up, but still it breaks further down that I was expecting, so I'm really happy. Hopefully the tilting system will compensate for this (I'm very certain that it will :--D )

bmac

Giga Poster
I wouldn't be surprised if Intamin removed a few of the magnets from the tower, by the looks of it they were just checking to see that the carriage would coast to the ground at a safe speed. Gravity also will be heavily involved in rotating the seats into the vertical position and the standard boarding position.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I'm going to join the crowds in moaning about the braking which I don't want to do because until I've ridden it I don't know. To me the whole thing looks slow, it just doesn't seem to be falling with much speed, maybe the video just doesn't go it justice.

Who has BGT as their home park and is planning to ride it very soon? Be interested to hear what the speed is actually like.

bmac

Giga Poster
The guy who filmed the drop tests will be riding it when it opens. Unsure about the media day since he currently has family matters to deal with. I'll post a link about that when it happens.

andrus

Giga Poster
Jordanovichy said:
I'm going to join the crowds in moaning about the braking which I don't want to do because until I've ridden it I don't know. To me the whole thing looks slow, it just doesn't seem to be falling with much speed, maybe the video just doesn't go it justice.
That's because there's a breakfin starting already 10 meters down the tower, stretching all the way down to the base. I guess there wont be any real free fall on this ride unless, like bmac stated, Intamin will remove fins after the initial testing..

marc

CF Legend
For me this is more about facing the ground than the drop.

It's normally the first part of a drop that get you anyway, after that they are boring anyway.

It's always about the height and the build up for me.

andrus

Giga Poster
^You think?

I agree that the build up and excitement (fear) is probably the key point of a drop tower. But as it comes to actual ride experience I think drop towers (with actual free fall, not S&S turbo drops) gets more and more exciting the further you drop; partly because the car build up speed, and partly because it feels like the car is going to crash into the ground (your fears come true). Hence why I like big towers that breaks really far down, like the one at KD which I mentioned before :)