What's new

Busch Gardens Tampa | Falcon's Fury | Intamin Drop Tower

Lofty

CF Legend
What a shocker - CF moaning about brakes :lol:

We knew it would do this from the start, I don't understand what all of the **** fuss is about? It's not as though it's brand new news.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Hmmm. Not sure if I'm surprised or not. I had expected them to have tested the tilting by now to at least check that out. But there is/was still a fortnight to go :p

Well let's just hope they get their **** sorted out!

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
CanobieFan said:
Media Day set for the 23rd. next week :D

Ooh, about that..... I just received this email....
I regret to inform you that the Falcon's Fury Media Day tentatively scheduled for April 23rd has been postponed. With a first-of-its-kind ride system, unexpected issues are always possible

So with Media Day being pushed back to an unknown date I guess its safe to bet the grand opening is gonna be delayed as well.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
Here's a full drop with tilting seats. I'm very impressed with this ride. The seats tilt back further down than I excepted, and a lot quicker too. It also brakes lower (but still high up) than I excepted it to do.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld4p-J-ccbg&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Also, they are having some minor issues with adjusting one of the 8 seats correctly. You can see the problem in this video. As they keep dropping it with the broken seat, I imagine that it's nothing too serious, and just an adjustment issue. It's the angle showed in the second half of the video, you can clearly see one of the cylinders coming loose.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRZhQViCJhA[/youtube]

Here's a detailed amateur comment on it:
Yeah. The pneumatic cylinders that pull the seats back have a mechanical "Gripper" on the end of them, spring loaded shut. It looks to me like what's happening is that the "pre-brakes" that start about 3/5 of the way up the tower, that were supposed to initiate the return to vertical for the seats aren't doing their job (or the resistance in the pneumatic cylinders is too great). So the seats don't return to upright until the actual heavy braking section - too late - and then violently swing out... faster than the pneumatic cylinders can extend due to the port size, so that spring-loaded emergency gripper lets go.

They'll need to open up the port size on the cylinders (ie, new cylinders) in order to allow them to extend quicker/with less resistance, so that the seats can tilt as desired during the pre-braking section. Then they'll be upright already (and far more gently), ready for the actual braking section.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I've been waiting to see them tilt for months. Soooo good <3

What is that thing hanging off? Is that the cylinder? Surely that just hanging there could potentially do a lot more damage to the ride? :S

Intricks

Strata Poster
^^ Which saddens me a bit, but it still drops pretty far before it puts you back to your normal seated positioning.

bmac

Giga Poster
Jordanovichy said:
What is that thing hanging off? Is that the cylinder? Surely that just hanging there could potentially do a lot more damage to the ride? :S

I believe it was one of the cylinders that help the ride orient itself for the drop and loading/unloading. I wouldn't worry too much since it's a part that can easily be replaced and BGT should have them in bulk so we don't end up with something like Mach Tower.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
It obviously looks so much better with the tilting effect working. I hope that the transition between tilted and normal is fast like in the video, would be awesome!

spicy

Giga Poster
Do does it tilt you at the top of the tower or do you go up the tower already in the tilted position?

There wasn't any tilting at the top in the videos.?

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
So disappointed with this ride, the drop is terrible and even the tilting is that good, the whole point in drop towers is suspense, if you not affraid of the controlled drop it's pointless.

It isn't even nice to look at. Once again intamin have tried to plus the barrier but ended up falling flat on their faces, If you parden the pun.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend
How does it NOT build suspense? It does exactly the same as every other drop tower with the added element of facing the ground entirely?!

marc

CF Legend
Well I watched the video and I have no idea why people are moaning.

It drops with the same force as the others, gravity will do that.

It drops far enough and your facing the ground.

What did people expect it to do? Make coffee on the way down?

spicy

Giga Poster
I think it looks good, it starts to brake a lot lower than I expected I feared it was going to brake a lot sooner when I see how high up the tower the brakes start.

marc said:

I think your onto something... Good idea for Alton's next World's first maybe?

Lofty

CF Legend
marc said:
Well I watched the video and I have no idea why people are moaning.

It drops with the same force as the others, gravity will do that.

It drops far enough and your facing the ground.

Amen there's somebody else with sense in this topic...