What's new

Battle of the best inverts

Which one is better?

• Montu

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Nemesis

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters
There might already be a thread about this...it is sort of hard to decide since a lot of people (including myself) have only riden one or the other. Even without riding Nemesis, I still think Montu easily wins. For future reference, I would make this thread "rank your ridden inverts" then make a poll with the most common highest ranked.

witchfinder

Giga Poster
I would suggest most British enthusiasts have ridden both since most of us will have been to Florida on holiday. There are definitely some "rank the B&M Inverts" type threads already on here, but for me these are the best two, with Nemesis being the winner.

The_bullgod

Mega Poster
I can't make a decision. I've done both and both are awesome.
Sometimes Nemesis is before Montu, but other times it's turned around.

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
I can't really say since I haven't gotten the chance to ride Nemesis yet. I personally didn't enjoy Montu too much for whatever reason so if I had to guess I'd say Nemesis.

InvertsAreMyJam

Mega Poster
Personally, I’ve only been on Montu. And I absolutely loved it. So I voted for that.

And to the people mentioning other inverts, yes, I know these aren’t universal favorites. But I wanted to have a poll just between the two of them.

Matt N

CF Legend
Despite being British and having ridden Nemesis vastly more (I've done Nemesis 29 times, with my first ride being in September 2013 and my most recent being in August 2022, while I've only had 1 ride on Montu that was back in August 2016), I'd actually be inclined to vote Montu here.

I do like Nemesis a lot, but I've always found it to be ever so slightly overhyped, for lack of a better term. Don't get me wrong, it has brilliant pacing and intensity and some absolutely brilliant elements, as well as a very unique layout design. It's an absolutely excellent coaster, I like it a lot, and I can't wait to ride it again in a week's time! However, I've never quite subscribed to it being placed on the absolute godly pedestal that so many British enthusiasts in particular have it placed upon. Controversially, it's not even my favourite coaster at Alton Towers, and I even dare say that I might prefer Nemesis Inferno at Thorpe Park as a track and train ride experience... although I can never quite decide on a victor in the Nemesis vs Inferno comparison. One day, Inferno will come out on top, whereas Nemesis will come out on top on another day; they're very closely matched in my rankings!

By comparison, I remember Montu being absolutely amazing, and still my favourite B&M Inverted Coaster! The intensity and sense of speed were amazing, and the raw size, length and pacing of it just put it a cut above the rest, from memory! Although as I say, that was based on one ride, and one ride that was now nearly 8 years ago at that...

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I've loved Nemesis since I first rode it - which will be exactly 30 years ago next week. It was my outright number 1 coaster for 22 years running. It's very likely that my first ride on Nemesis is the reason I'm here now, 3 decades later, babbling sh*te about coasters late at night on an enthusiast forum. For me at least, it's where this whole dumb-ass hobby began. Ain't nothin gonna compete with that, not even Montu.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I haven't been on Nemesis yet, but I break up my favorite inverts by category:
Most intense: Montu
Best pacing: Afterburn
Best visuals: Black Mamba
Best first drop: Katun
Best airtime and drops: Oziris
Best night ride: Great Bear
Smoothest: Talon

I don't really love the invert style of coaster, but both are held in high regard for me. Nemesis stuck out to me as just a bit more unique to the others though, so I'd have to go with that, although Montu is absolutely a solid coaster and an invert I would re-ride if I go back to Busch (I tend to avoid them sometimes now due to old age, haha).

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Honestly, I can't even believe this is a serious debate people have... Montu isn't even the best 'Egyptian themed' invert in the world!

I don't know if it's the setting, or longer more drawn out layout and elements, but for some reason Montu just didn't click for me at all.

If I wanted to be a knob about it (and let's face it, I can't resist, haha) I'd say that the theming was also half arsed. "We'll stick a few sand pits down, that should do the job!" Maybe it was the spectacular car park and highway views that blew me away so much that I lost focus for the rest of the layout. And the ending... Jeez, just let it die already, the ride had taken it's last gasp of air 20 seconds before that final inversion, but no, they squoze and squoze until they managed to drag it through that corkscrew kicking and screaming...

For anybody that's only ridden Montu, if you want to see a better Egyption themed coaster, with much better pacing, and a more compact feeling layout that keeps up the intensity right to the brake run, go and check out this POV...

And even OzIris isn't as good as Nemesis either (although it's close, and if I'm being honest, there may be some sentimentality at play there!)

InvertsAreMyJam

Mega Poster
Honestly, I can't even believe this is a serious debate people have... Montu isn't even the best 'Egyptian themed' invert in the world!

I don't know if it's the setting, or longer more drawn out layout and elements, but for some reason Montu just didn't click for me at all.

If I wanted to be a knob about it (and let's face it, I can't resist, haha) I'd say that the theming was also half arsed. "We'll stick a few sand pits down, that should do the job!" Maybe it was the spectacular car park and highway views that blew me away so much that I lost focus for the rest of the layout. And the ending... Jeez, just let it die already, the ride had taken it's last gasp of air 20 seconds before that final inversion, but no, they squoze and squoze until they managed to drag it through that corkscrew kicking and screaming...

For anybody that's only ridden Montu, if you want to see a better Egyption themed coaster, with much better pacing, and a more compact feeling layout that keeps up the intensity right to the brake run, go and check out this POV...

And even OzIris isn't as good as Nemesis either (although it's close, and if I'm being honest, there may be some sentimentality at play there!)
That’s certainly a controversial take. I’ll guess I’ll just have to ride OzIris and see. Although I do live in a completely different continent…

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
That’s certainly a controversial take. I’ll guess I’ll just have to ride OzIris and see. Although I do live in a completely different continent…
Yeh I'm very much in the compact and intense is better camp when it comes to inverts. They're not my favourite type as it is... Montu felt way to open, and drawn out, if that makes sense.

Sure you'll make it one day, Europe and Florida are very easy to travel between, and with Norwegian's replacement flying now (Norse, I think their name is.) It's super cheap again too.

emoo

Hyper Poster
That’s certainly a controversial take.

It isn't.

Maybe the cartoonish theme isn't for everyone but just the pure Egypt set up alone is miles superior, as are all the extras. Oziris is missing the jolty whippyness and the unique sequence is profiled gracefully, thats is down to personal preference. Montu has a couple of scattered trenches hardly seen off ride or not in the front row so isn't much. If the theme isn't important here why is it factored in elsewhere?

Asking for information or data that differs from what the expected response isn't great. Neither is giving so few options full of assumptions. Also voting for one when you haven't done the other stating reasons that apply to anyone caught in this question, tut. Is this a population based, global tourist destination appeal or a popularity question? Asked in a forum used by so many British/Europeans which may have done both given Florida's alure and very likely at least the ones here many times. It's the same ocean between all coasters in question.

Afterburn is a solid and respectable answer. A great ride missing only the engrossing theme (a tacked on then lost movie tie in is not enough) and now linked to Fury taking much attention. Major bonus for shorter queues though.

In January 2015 I thought Montu was awesome. Come September 2022 I was exited to get on again after a long wait expecting it to retain it's crown and ended highly disappointed. It did not ride well at all. (Both times it impressed me more than Alpengeist from June 2010) Was it the heat difference given time of year?? I'm used to Intamin's riding like a dream when the weather is better so why not other manufacturers?. Any Nemesis rattle has nothing on that. The hype lives on with people not updating their opinions from possibly a once in a lifetime trips, or interested in other opinions, changes and new options.

Ignoring any theme, Katun is by far the best invert I've been on for some time, and I got the Stargates in the end. It's not confusing after all they are actually implied as stargates. Got me more hyped for Japan's and Korea's old school big boys if I can ever get them.

The time you get on something in your own personal timeline has a great impact as you have expectations alongside how well it's operating on your given visit.

Ollie

CF Legend
I wasn't expecting much from Montu when I went to America but it blew me away and I loved it. It's right up there next to Black Mamba for me.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
In January 2015 I thought Montu was awesome. Come September 2022 I was exited to get on again after a long wait expecting it to retain it's crown and ended highly disappointed. It did not ride well at all. (Both times it impressed me more than Alpengeist from June 2010) Was it the heat difference given time of year?? I'm used to Intamin's riding like a dream when the weather is better so why not other manufacturers?. Any Nemesis rattle has nothing on that.
It should be noted that this is exactly when I first rode it.

As well as the disappointing theming, It was the pacing that really shocked me. It starts out bat shizzle crazy, really intense, but by the final third it'd really lost all intensity and slowed down like no invert I've ever ridden before. Honestly there was a point before the final corkscrew that I thought we were coming into the brakes, or stalling, or something. Has it always done that? Or was that due to the condition of the ride at the time, and the, apparently new, rattle?