What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

scw55

Hyper Poster
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

They can and would look utterly awesome doing so.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

The track did end up going into place, looks awesome and cam as a surprise to me as I didn't know it would have a inverted drop, something I haven't seen on coaster before, unless The Swarm's drop counts?

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster

If we're counting this as an 'inverted drop' then Incredible Hulk also has an inverted drop I'd say. The reality is that the first drop is small (the small drops above the toilets) and this drops into a zero-G roll with a longer pull out than its pull in. 'Inverted drop' is really just a marketing term. I'd call something like G-Force at Drayton Manor an inverted drop, but this, no.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

T'Hypnotiser...

BIYPiKZCQAEEo3P.jpg

Theme Park Worldwide

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster

Looking good! I see they're painting a spiral on the station building in the background there too, neat touch.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

Loving that hypnotiser leg <3 I'm still eager to see what will become of the station. I hope they're not just leaving it as is.

Martyn B

CF Legend

I cant decide wether or not it's good theming, or just tacky...

MouseAT

Hyper Poster

Having seen The Smiler over the weekend, I have to say it's looking quite impressive. I still reckon it's going to hurt like hell though.

That said, I'm not sure I like the way it changes the look of X-Sector. The vertical lift hill is the highest point of the ride, it's nearly the same height as Oblivion, and it's at the end nearest the entrance to X-Sector. The end result? Oblivion tends to blend into the background now when viewed from across the park. The fact that both rides are the same colour doesn't really help matters either.

sparky2u

Mega Poster

This coaster is very impressive, I can't wait till June to give it a ride. I find "Saw" at TP not that rough for a "Euro Fighter design".

The "Roper" family are going to have a good time with the "Smiler", they are trying to get some rides removed.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

It's a way off yet, but I can't wait to do The Smiler at night during Scarefest. I wonder if the park will do something special?

Lofty

CF Legend

They won't. I doubt they're even gonna open much later than the usual 9pm :(

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

I wonder if we'll see any testing by the latter half of this week?

The station is starting to grow on me now. It's amazing what a few yellow pipes can do :wink:

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

According to their facebook page, the track is now complete.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

Well if they start testing before Saturday I should be able to post some pictures up, can't promise they'll be any good... But hey, who cares, The Smiler is pretty much finally completed!

Rollercoasters4Life

Roller Poster

ATTACKHAMMER said:
Hurrah the track is complete! Can't wait!

No its not - will be completed tomorrow as told by a Gerstlauer employee. Look forward to the topping off then the remaining stairs, the chain and electrics before testing will start.

marc

CF Legend

Confused as even Alton twitter said they celebrated by having a drink on its highest point?

Rollercoasters4Life

Roller Poster

marc said:
Confused as even Alton twitter said they celebrated by having a drink on its highest point?

Simply put, its marketing. The original story is done by The Sun and can be viewed below:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...eate-famous-pose-on-top-of-rollercoaster.html

When you look in some of the images you will notice they are taken before the inverted drops were built and before the Hypnotiser leg was put in place. The pictures were taken on the 16th April 2013.

All a marketing effort guys. The final piece of track - the first lift hill crest - goes in tomorrow. Then track work will be complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.