What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoo

The Legend
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

I'm still a bit behind and might need refreshed as I havent seen it in quite a while, does anyone have semi complete/complete layout yet?

Ethan

Strata Poster

There are brown magnetic fins on the vertical lift. Silent anti-rollback alternative?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Snoo, I think this one from last Thursday is the latest. I only think the vertical hill has gone up since too.
Rollercoasters4Life said:
What is left to construct -

Track: Both inverted drops, both lift hills & final turn into brake run.

Theming: The Hypnotiser leg.

Unsure whether still happening: Stilted Jetty, two near misses near Cobra Roll & Batwing.

TheSmilerProgress9thApril2013_zpsb5c8db5d.jpg

(Click for larger image - Orange items are unsure whether they are still happening)

Ethan said:
There are brown magnetic fins on the vertical lift. Silent anti-rollback alternative?

Hmmmmm... Magnets don't actually bring a train to a stop, so if it is, it's only a slowing mechanism rather than a true anti-rollback - it will still let the train descend backwards to the bottom - though that's probably excellent for evacuation :)

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ Yeah, and with longer trains on a lift like that, evacuation would take an age.

Rollercoasters4Life

Roller Poster

Snoo said:
I'm still a bit behind and might need refreshed as I havent seen it in quite a while, does anyone have semi complete/complete layout yet?

Correct as of 3:00PM on 15th April 2013:

(Click for larger image - Stuff in orange is unknown as to whether it is happening as of yet)

Left still to do from top down is the first lift hill, final turn into the brakes, second inverted drop then first inverted drop.

the king

Mega Poster

I do wonder why they didn't complete the first drop first, than finish the lift hill. Anyway, the coaster is looking great. I wonder if the world's first has to do with the first lifthill, since it was mentioned by Rob on Towersstreet that all lifthill track was gone from the car parks.

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ Apparently the other lift hasn't arrived yet? I doubt it hasn't though.

Also I think they would have to install the first lift last as the final curve goes underneath it! :)

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

The brake fins going up the lift hill are a somewhat interesting point to mention.

They could simply be a new method of anti-rollback, but there are some other interesting theories, such as a reverse freefall section.

If they are indeed brake fins, that means that they will be magnetic, which will mean that they are on constantly.. surely that will add huge strain onto the lift chain? As it will increase the resistance of the train, making it more difficult to haul up the lift.

Loaster

Roller Poster

I was under the impression the fins retract as the train climbs using the chain, in the event of a chain break, or power loss they would automatically raise to the position we see now. Thus gradually allowing the train to return to the bottom.

marc

CF Legend

^I thought that was strange as well seeing they are not using them trims on the other section of coaster.

AJ

Giga Poster

LAUNCHED VERTICAL LIFT OMG <3

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCVJaZ1zrT4[/youtube]

Smithy

Strata Poster

Brake fins there might explain the block brakes a bit further back. How odd.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Probably entirely wrong here.

I thought the part before the vertical lift was in a valley as such, surrounded by walls either side. I've not a clue how they'd be able to (or indeed if they would be at all) to evacuate if there was a stop on that lift due to an anti-rollback notch.

The break suggest the ride would be allowed to descend slowly back down the lift (assuming they could unhook the chain) roll past the flat section where access is difficult and back to the block brake on the hill before it to allow passengers to dis-embark.

Or, there's room to evacuate and a block prior to the vertical lift, and the block on the hill is there in case a second train needs to be stopped.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

The brakes before the second lift will purely be 1 block section and have enough braking room to stop the momentum of the train. Don't forget it will still be going quite some speed out of the corkscrew.

The valley with the vertical lift will have ample room to evacuate riders off, it'll be quite a wide area, even in the ditch, and I assume it will have catwalks too. Don't forget the ride will have to pass rider envelope tests, so even in the smallest space, there will be plenty of room.

The brakes could be used to descend the train back to the blocks I suppose, but it's unusual to see different technology to the eurofighters here, hence why I was curious in the first place.

On that note, how do they evacuate riders from the vertical lift of a eurofighter?

Rollercoasters4Life

Roller Poster

Crazycoaster said:
On that note, how do they evacuate riders from the vertical lift of a eurofighter?

By using the evacuation cart that is on the side of the vertical lifts. Here is a video of an evacuation taking place while he was on ride - they only got to the bottom of the lift at an angle but you get the idea.

Or there is another way - this:

406282_480195852035671_1648060872_n.jpg

Huracan at Belantis

With The Smiler having longer and heavier trains Gerstlauer may have opted for a new way to evacuate a vertical lift by using a roll-back system that uses magnetic fins to slowly descend the trains to the base of the lift so they can get people off there. Makes more sense as can be seen on the photo and video of how much of a pain it is to do it while the train is vertical. Don't forget the supporting structure of the vertical lift hill is different from other Eurofighters and I think that is why The Smiler also has an evacuation cart like Rage - but I think this will be used for maintenance purposes, to get up to the catwalk at the top of the lift so they can check all the components and track.

I also think the brake section before the vertical lift will have two blocks. The train will come off the Corkscrew into the brakes and then to a block. The train will then roll forward to the base of the vertical lift - another block - then the train will engage onto the lift chain and be taken up. If needs be the train can be rolled back down the vertical lift to the base of it and a train that has left the first lift can stop behind it on the previous block that I mentioned above (obviously the train behind will hit the first block before the vertical train will be lowed to the lift base block).

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

LOL at the inappropriately used music in that video for no reason.

Does the smiler have one of those evacuation carts? Because if it does, then that will throw that theory out the window, it wouldn't have both, it's pointless surely?

Rollercoasters4Life

Roller Poster

Crazycoaster said:
LOL at the inappropriately used music in that video for no reason.

Does the smiler have one of those evacuation carts? Because if it does, then that will throw that theory out the window, it wouldn't have both, it's pointless surely?

Think this might be it:
BHqLd-6CAAAyTYh.jpg:large

(Image from Zach Lowe (@Zach_Katie))

As I mentioned, the cart could just be used for maintenance purposes and as a way to gain access to the top catwalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.