What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

This ride is stunning from every picture, It would be nice if the station wasn't so box like, but it may look better once it's finished.

Tomatron

Giga Poster

Smithy said:
They've got an awful lot of work done on the station since the last pictures I saw.

And I hate to bring up 'that' argument, but from that picture it looks as if Oblivion's track coming out the hole isn't painted. Lul.

Shhhh...I can see Joey going down with a tin and finishing it off himself before the park becomes like Compton. :wink:

Twn114

Roller Poster

So as far as trackwork is concerned, is it only the lift segments that need installing now?

Rollercoasters4Life

Roller Poster

What is left to construct -

Track: Both inverted drops, both lift hills & final turn into brake run.

Theming: The Hypnotiser leg.

Unsure whether still happening: Stilted Jetty, two near misses near Cobra Roll & Batwing.

TheSmilerProgress9thApril2013_zpsb5c8db5d.jpg

(Click for larger image - Orange items are unsure whether they are still happening)

Rach

Giga Poster

Just some pictures of the theming going on the Marmeliser.

539634_468835339853582_1701557190_n.jpg

Image from TowersStreet FB

Got the Giggler, Flasher, Innoculator theming on there.

552812_468835283186921_999430515_n.jpg

Close up of The Innoculator

525290_468835286520254_1296301020_n.jpg

And of The Giggler and Flasher

And finally, the top of one of the lifts and the chains for both have arrived on site.

528757_466821423388307_1243339691_n.jpg

10189_466821390054977_541057634_n.jpg

Smithy

Strata Poster

Top picture is unreal

Wait. Same picture.

There's an access ladder, some brackets under the track and a walkway. I'm sure that's the same part of the track people were questioning something on it, would that confirm it's a block brake prior to the vertical lift?

Markeyed

Roller Poster

Such an amazing tangle of metal!

Are the bin things meant to be lights?

scw55

Hyper Poster

I like those variances of 'Toxic' icons. It seems so obvious, but I did not think about that idea. It's nicely sinister. I just wish the uniform for the ride operators wasn't so clowny. I find clowns disturbing because of their face paint, not because of their awful fashion sense.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Even if a person finds the individual components (girders, barrels, etc.) to be cheesy looking, now that it is nearly assembled, it must be said that the Marmalizer is a pretty impressive piece of theming.

Way back when it was first hinted that there was a spider-thing in the middle, I pictured and was hoping for something like the contraption from the Will Smith Wild Wild West movie, but this isn't bad either, considering the backstory.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

To be fair, I was just after the cheap gag - I actually adore the tongue-in-cheek theming.
It seems to be deliberately made to look naff - silly colours, wires hanging out, comedy outfits - it's like a real-life cartoon. Thorpe may have done well with Swarm, but I love that Alton has not taken itself seriously at all, yet at the same time, produced something visually stunning. It's like the coaster version of a self-aware anime.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Is this a Merlin first? Construction is almost done, and we're yet to see a shipping container or scaffold theming...!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I don't think the spider thing looks great atm. It just looks a bit cardboard and tat-like. I think that's because it looks like obvious painted grey, rather than metallic? Spose it's hard to tell until we see it insitu and complete.

I'd like to think they've learnt that shipping containers, scaffolding and other "it's meant to look awful!" objects are detrimental regardless of thematic relevance. If even Disney can't make that work (Dinoland USA), then Merlin should certainly stop.

Though they really would have had no relevance in this clinical theme... But, I always assumed their thematic subjects were chosen from a list of "what can we use a shipping container for..."

I also always hoped that shipping containers were a running in joke cameo.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

Joey said:
I also always hoped that shipping containers were a running in joke cameo.

I wouldn't be surprised if some designer at Merlin probably saw the enthusiast OUTRAGE at Saw's shop and decided to keep sneaking them in where they could for the lulz...

scw55

Hyper Poster

The ultimate Merlin troll would be creating a ride themed around being kidnapped and being exported as human cargo in shipping containers.

Or an indoors coaster which runs through endless shipping containers. Or the building is made from Shipping container panels.

Rach

Giga Poster

Back again with another photo.

This one is from TTF, the support for one of the lifts is finally going into place. So far it looks nothing like a standard Gerstlauer vertical lift hill support.

602003_10151630539413185_702116674_n.jpg

From TTF FB

Martyn B

CF Legend

This one doesn't have the drop going down the other side, so it was always going to be different.

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ Not true. Think about the first lift of Mystery Mine. Oh, and the second lift. The lift and drop are separated yet it still has the normal Gerst tower...

ar1XVXZ.jpg

However I'd imagine a tower like that would struggle to take the weight of a whole train.

Status
Not open for further replies.