What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

What? no no no Sue.

All 3 coasters are from different manufacturers and the Hopi Hari one was delayed after a fatal accident at the park and the following safety investigation.

Martyn B

CF Legend

The other small hill is now in:

534024_467758073294642_1546166540_n.jpg

From TS.

Looks like a pretty decent airtime hill to me! (compared to the other one anyway)

Mushroom

Goon of the Year

T-Park on Facebook said:
Back from Alton Towers, and the Sanctuary is AWESOME! Really loved it. Smiler looks immense, staff are now openly confirming there will be 14 inversions but nothing else - they are saying press rides will be the end of May, our money is on 1st June for public opening, there is still a lot to do!
http://www.tpark.co.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/ukthemeparkrev ... 5699778087

^_^

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

All I can say is marmalize me, please. This looks way too awesome.

Kebab

Giga Poster

RideRater said:
Alton Towers has called a press evening for The Smiler on 17 May, fuelling speculation that the new ride will launch the following day.

Selected representatives of the media have already received invitations from the park.

The ride has suffered from considerable construction delays, having originally been scheduled to open on 16 March.

The Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter model will break the inversion record currently held by the 10-looping Colossus rollercoaster at Thorpe Park.

Its total number of inversions has not yet been confirmed, but is expected to be at least 14
http://riderater.co.uk/2013/alton-tower ... on-17-may/

Looks like we could have May 17th/18th opening then, sounds plausible. Now just for the official confirmation!

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

I know it's just a headchopper and all, but the theming there's brilliant. I feel like the airtime's going to make the riders feel like they're about to get jabbed by the needles, and coming from somebody who absolutely HATES needles, it doesn't sound very comfortable. I love it, hats of to Merlin for thinking of it! >:D

JJLehto

Hyper Poster

That theming is fantastic. Can't wait for the POV just to see what exactly this thing does.
For once I'm awaiting to see, because even with pics I can only make a mess of steel : D

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

roomraider said:
What? no no no Sue.

All 3 coasters are from different manufacturers and the Hopi Hari one was delayed after a fatal accident at the park and the following safety investigation.

That's what I get for not reading back through the topic and assuming...

nadroJ

CF Legend

I'm a *little* confused about the Smiler costumes I've seen here and there. They seem very circussy, whereas all along I've been lead to believe that this theme is fairly sinister, and to be taken seriously? Why are they conflicting in now with a fun, wacky costume?

Also, does anybody know if these costumes will be worn by ride ops? Because that's cool if Alton are going for the themed ride team costume thing, I always feel it makes a theme feel more complete and a lot of parks overlook this detail.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Yep, Mystery Castle-style lab coats would have worked much better, but at least they are making an effort

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

I think it's meant to be kind of "clown-like" and clowns are the most terrifying thing ever...

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Yeah, I don't understand why you guys don't get the whole circus clowns ARE sinister thing. I think it's supposed to be a bit of both scientific lab and insane circus act. Like, if a circus villain was fed up of no one enjoying his act, he'd become a crazy scientist to force people to.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

I get that, and clowns are **** scary, but it doesn't match the plot line for the sanctuary which is a science laboratory testing facility to make people smile. Nowhere along the line does that scream 'Where's Wally socks' to me.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

I don't really know what The Sanctuary had to do with The Smiler anyway. Then again, I thought the plot/story for The Sanctuary was complete pants.

My only guess would be that we saw The Sanctuary after a full breakdown - the dungeon remnants of the original hospital/facility. Where the inmates run the asylum.

I'd then guess that The Smiler is either the off-shoot of the original work, or is the original experiment when "The Sanctuary" was fully controlled and working correctly.

Either way, The Sanctuary is "pure horror", but The Smiler is a clinical, clean and twisted psychological head ****. Part of that includes the mind bending optical illusions, the "fun" spider thing (with needles, mind washing, etc), the bright colours on the trains and the themed rooms, and the clown-like uniforms of the "facility staff".

It works as a "professional device" to make people smile and be marmalised (whatever that is), which is a far cry from the terrors of The Sanctuary walk through which is a destitute failure.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

I'm sure I've read somewhere that The Sanctuary is an original institution, and all of the contraptions (rides) in X Sector are failed test systems or something.

I was hoping the original Lord of Darkness plot would tie in with Dr. Kelman somewhere along the line, but no. Intriguing, nonetheless.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Sorry if this has been posted already. I did a quick look through the last dozen or so pages and didn't see it so I though I would share.

Smileraerial_zps156ba800.jpg

Smithy

Strata Poster

They've got an awful lot of work done on the station since the last pictures I saw.

And I hate to bring up 'that' argument, but from that picture it looks as if Oblivion's track coming out the whole isn't painted. Lul.

Status
Not open for further replies.