What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Crazycoaster said:
I have a theory about why the record for most inversions has not been announced, and I have a sneaking feeling that Alton may have a little bit more up their sleeves.

Announcing the inversion record would mean giving away the number of inversions the ride has, which SEEMS to stand at 14, but this could possibly be more in the track that hasn't been built.. or the 'hidden element'.

I'm not thoroughly convinced that TT were covering up the underground in-line twist, as the photos with the 'marmalised' section covered up don't seem to be trying hard to hide the fact that there was a barrel roll there. It looks like they were more focused on the section AFTER the inline. Maybe that wasn't what they were covering up at all.

Another thing to add to the equation is the Smiler app.. there are still 5 unlockable elements to the ride, and I can only point out three of them (the two dive loops, and the penultimate barrel roll coming out of the cobra). Which leaves two unlockable features.. and what could they be?

Now this could all just be wishful thinking.. but it makes sense in my head as to why they're keeping quiet.

TT later uncovered the photos, saying it was the indoor roll underneath.

Kebab

Giga Poster

This looks like a headchopper orgy, it's going to be insane. It's about time UK got another intense rollercoaster!

Really looking forward to this now, I stopped caring about it for the past 2 months but it certainly looks promising. I love Saw and Th13teens indoor stations too, so I hope this lives up to the standard and isn't rushed!

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

we are of course now certain that it has at least 14 inversions...what I don't understand is why it has taken 12 years to beat colossus' 10 if it is this 'simple' to add 4 more... any ideas?

Smithy

Strata Poster

Because it isn't simple.

Is the easy answer.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

elephant58 said:
Crazycoaster said:
I have a theory about why the record for most inversions has not been announced, and I have a sneaking feeling that Alton may have a little bit more up their sleeves.

Announcing the inversion record would mean giving away the number of inversions the ride has, which SEEMS to stand at 14, but this could possibly be more in the track that hasn't been built.. or the 'hidden element'.

I'm not thoroughly convinced that TT were covering up the underground in-line twist, as the photos with the 'marmalised' section covered up don't seem to be trying hard to hide the fact that there was a barrel roll there. It looks like they were more focused on the section AFTER the inline. Maybe that wasn't what they were covering up at all.

Another thing to add to the equation is the Smiler app.. there are still 5 unlockable elements to the ride, and I can only point out three of them (the two dive loops, and the penultimate barrel roll coming out of the cobra). Which leaves two unlockable features.. and what could they be?

Now this could all just be wishful thinking.. but it makes sense in my head as to why they're keeping quiet.

TT later uncovered the photos, saying it was the indoor roll underneath.

They hid that poorly then.. You could see the track rolled into an inline clearly.

Still though, my point about the 5 unlock able aspects of the Smiler app still stands true.

ChrisAudioDefect

Roller Poster

Here's a thought - the music track on the video of the JLS guy being marmalised that was posted a few pages back could possibly be the theme music for the ride?

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

Smithy said:
Because it isn't simple.

Is the easy answer.

fair enough, there has been a HUUUUGE amount of hype for it, and I suppose for good reason, With it opening in a month I am surprised Alton Towers hasn't announced the world's first. I check its twitter account three or four times a day now just to see.

Gazza

Giga Poster

Jordanovichy said:
we are of course now certain that it has at least 14 inversions...what I don't understand is why it has taken 12 years to beat colossus' 10 if it is this 'simple' to add 4 more... any ideas?
Not many big multi loopers get done these days anyway. Often they seem to average around 4-5 inversions, so I guess there are very few parks that set out to do a big inversion fest (And the ones that have, have been happy to take the simple route abd clone Collossus.

The thing that has suprised me is the way the inversion record has gone 6-7-8..10..14/15?

Why did we never see a 9, 11, 12, 13 inversion ride?
I guess 9 is pointless since 10 is a clean number, but 13 inversions would've sounded cool.

Intricks

Strata Poster

I think it has to do with just how many types of inversions you can put in, based on the landscape and cost of the project, while maintaining an interesting layout.

Colossus got there due to Barrel Rolls out the ass (and all in a row mind you), whereas Smiler had the help of the land to allow it to make all its inversions not suffer from Quad rolling.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

There was plans for an 11 Inversion ride. http://rcdb.com/9821.htm But its been delayed.

Which brings up a thought, It is entirely conjecture but last year both Jinling Happy World and Hopi Hari were strongly rumored to be getting 11 and 12 inversion rides respectively. Then they both went quiet very suddenly and nothing has come out of Jinling Happy World for ages while Hopi Hari reverted to the new 10 inversion model.

Is it possible they found out from Geurst that they would be building a 14 inversion coaster someway and scaled back their plans?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I highly doubt that those parks would know and we wouldnt, honestly.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Krazycoaster

Roller Poster

I actually think that the rides opening in China with 11 inversions believed they were getting the inversion record as Alton's plans only showed 8; The 11 inversion coaster has actually started to be built which is then when Alton revealed the 14 inversions meaning that Merlin would still hold the inversion record.

Smithy

Strata Poster

If Blackpool can publish outright lies about their record-breaking rollercoasters, do we really think China would be bothered about claiming an 11 inversion one as a record breaker?

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

Gazza said:
Jordanovichy said:
The thing that has suprised me is the way the inversion record has gone 6-7-8..10..14/15?

Why did we never see a 9, 11, 12, 13 inversion ride?
I guess 9 is pointless since 10 is a clean number, but 13 inversions would've sounded cool.

This surprised me too, nothing to work with, I read somewhere a few years ago about the human body not being able to cope with more than 11 inversions and being my young, gullible self I believed it. So you can imagine my surprise when I read on CF about it having 14, nearly fell off my chair!

Gazza

Giga Poster

^Plenty of flatrides (particularly if you ride one at a German Fair) would have been doing more than 11 inversions for years.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster

Still think 15 is a nice sounding number. They should stick one more in there!

Kebab

Giga Poster

Heres my guess. Track will be completed this week, there's only a minority of track left to be built, testing will be happening next week, which gives around 2-3 weeks of testing... Which leaves us with this; the pinultimate opening date: between 1st to 10th May. We could be getting an early May opening after all!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

How long between the pouring of concrete into the rebar before it can be built on? Anyone know?

Some of the rebar for the last bits of vertical track wasn't put down until the end of last week - so it will have some bearing on getting the track up (and the supports finished). Obviously if it's ready after 24 hours then it'll go up fast. Otherwise, it'll be later this week before we see track completed (or whenever).

The station still needed a lot of work too, as do the ground works for neatening up. I don't know if testing will start while there is still so much to do on that front.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

Joey i don't see why Hopi Hari couldn't have know without us knowing. Its perfectly possible Hopi Hari approached Geustlaurer to built a coaster to take the record. Geustlaurer wouldn't have to disclose any details about which park at all but they would have explain why they couldn't do it.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Hopi Hari and Alton have a good working relationship anyway like they do with Europa Park after Alton sold them Thunder Looper.

The Chinese park less so. It's been reported on Chinese forums that that coaster has been delayed due to manufacturing issues (the supports are on site I believe)

Anyway the main thing is we can't prove it either way, but they certainly could have known that building a 12 inversion coaster wouldn't take the record this year.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Or it could be more than coincidence that both Alton and Hopi Hari have ordered coasters from the same manufacturer, and both have suffered delays this year, in the latter case suggested due to 'manufacturing issues'...Occam's razor anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.