What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

A101

Mega Poster
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1st

The Smiler, meh. I like 'The Inoculator' way better.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Well that video wasn't creepy at all. I can't imagine it was fan made, then again, I would never imagine someone flying a helicopter to take pictures...

RobJackson85

Roller Poster

the video has also been deleted.

possible that it was leaked way too early?

T0M

Hyper Poster

Yeah I'll go with that.

-Sent from a mobile phone-

Temleh

Mega Poster

This topic can be changed from 'Unknown' to The Smiler now it's confirmed by Alton! :D

ciallkennett

Strata Poster

Indeed it has been confirmed.

318049_10200453588042432_1956808387_n.jpg

http://metro.co.uk/2013/01/21/eweve-been-framed-creepy-sheep-twitter-mystery-solved-3359300/

And briefly this section of the AT website had The Smiler logo displayed, although it has been taken down now: http://www.altontowers.com/thesmiler/

The image is so sexy <3

Kebab

Giga Poster

I'm loving the marketing for this, especially that sheep video!

I think this project is a self-parody to the past Secret Weapons, they must've looked at Th13teen and laughed to thereselves. I mean with a name like 'The Smiler' it's difficult to take seriously, and I think thats the whole charm about this new attraction, it's going to be Merlins way of breaking away from this whole dark, gritty, post-apocalyptic themed coaster routine, and show off their fun side.

I honestly can't wait, I think Towers are actually going in the right direction for the first time in 11 years!

Tomatron

Giga Poster

I don't mind the name. Sounds like a comic book villain.

This is the first time I've really looked forward to a new ride at Alton Towers since Rita opened.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

ciallkennett said:
And briefly this section of the AT website had The Smiler logo displayed, although it has been taken down now
TheSmiler_zpsa159c66e.jpg

The image was still in my browser cache.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

The story is just genius.
The thing is, I don't even know if it's the coaster doing it for me here, maybe the reason I want to ride it is more because of the marketing than the actual look of those already sexy curves!

Also, I didn't like the name that much at first either, but ones you get to understand the story. The name seems perfect.

Watch this video, which just appeared on this new FB page for the ride. This can't be fan made.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=387 ... =2&theater

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Yeah, that's the video Danzibarr originally posted before it was taken down from vimeo.

Snoo

The Legend

^Nope. This feels so Thorpe it's unbelievable.

Nic

Strata Poster

Things I like:

The creepy video - It walks the fine line between obscurity and having enough clues to let you know what it is, and does it well. Also, I never did The Sanctuary, but this fits excellently with how I imagine it was.

http://www.altontowers.com/thesmiler - It flashes up with the logo which then disappears and doesn't come back again even if you re-load the page. It just shows a standard 404 type page in the background. I don't know why, but this really appeals to my sense of geekyness. It also really heightens the sense of curiosity and intrigue.

The construction pics. It looks fab. Unfortunately, I then remember its a Gerstlauer and that it'll want my head on a platter every time I ride it.

Things I'm not so keen on:

Slapping the logo everywhere. I get what they're trying to achieve but I just don't think it'll work very well. Whilst I also kinda see the link to the theme, (trying to subliminally control the masses?) I think its too vague. It just comes across as a really crap, poorly thought-out publicity stunt.

The logo video. It comes across as saying "Look at us, aren't we clever! We've spent loads on this too!" rather than portraying the theme.

The sheep. Again, I suspect this is supposed to be some clever (and themed) comment on how the masses are all sheep. The trouble is, with all the crap that Thorpe churn out, I'm really dead against this sort of thing where they "use" the print media. It comes across as tacky and cheapening.

It's a Gerstlauer. See above.

Things I can't quite make my mind up about:

The Sheep video. I HATE the voiceover at the beginning, its vile, annoying, TERRIBLY worded, dull and un-themed. However, the talking sheep did make me giggle - why couldn't they have dropped the voiceover (or at least re-worded it) and just had the sheep?

The name. Its growing on me, but I'm still not sure. If The Inoculator turns out to be the name of the secret element, than that's kinda cool, I can live with that. I don't think I'll really be able to make my mind up until I see how well it fits with the theme and how they use it. Let's wait and see...

elephant58

Hyper Poster

Yeah, name's alright, but I have a feeling some people may be embarrassed to go on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.