What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

CF Legend
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1st

Nah, still not genius.

For the handful of people who even care about that (when you're in London you get used to this stuff so just ignore it 90% of the time), they won't know what it's for and by the time they found out, they'll either care because they like rides or they won't.

Honestly, just a poster saying new ride, Alton Towers, 2013, and some idea of what it is would work much better because then everyone will know what it's for!

Being quirky and obtuse when you're marketing is stupid. Lord Sugar would be all over it saying I don't know what your bloody advert's about!

Smithy

Strata Poster

Bit pre-emptive though, I'd imagine they'll put out the specific sort of marketing once the rides complete and they're closer to opening. Even if it isn't being paid attention to, it still might provoke people to recognise it when the specific marketing comes out.

peep

CF Legend

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned the random teaser images they've posted today on Twitter. Apparently they will be making an announcement in 4 days times. Here are the images:

BA6grBdCcAEkDbx.jpg:large

BA9q7JdCIAEEF-x.jpg:large

BA-X2_iCcAEUoTM.jpg:large

scw55

Hyper Poster

Where did TMOJ get the Mirror Ball from for the last image?

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

^That was an interesting tweet. To inoculate indicates a vaccine, or some sort of protection against something...which goes with the early DNA style artwork we saw, and of course fits with 'Get Corrected'.

iblamefish

Roller Poster

I'm hoping that the inoculator is part of a video which goes along with the first three teaser images. The inoculator as a name for a rollercoaster sounds a bit too RCT for me.

I'm loving the marketing going on though, it's top notch.

Kebab

Giga Poster

'The Inoculator' wouldn't be a terrible name in my opinion, it has a futuristic industrial feel and fits in The X Sector family of rides really well. It sounds a bit cheesy, but I prefer it over Rita and Th13teen any day.

I think the name has been leaked now!

Dave

CF Legend

It's probably throwing words in to try drum up interest...

Since Inoculate means;
1. to introduce (the causative agent of a disease) into the body of (a person or animal), in order to induce immunity
2. ( tr ) to introduce (microorganisms, esp bacteria) into (a culture medium)
3. ( tr ) to cause to be influenced or imbued, as with ideas or opinions

Mike T

Mega Poster

Perhaps 'The Inoculator' is the name of the secret element??

Lofty

CF Legend

I think all the Twitter updates are teasers for some kind of advert of the coaster, solely for the freeze-frame of the Rolling Typeface.

Joey said:
No one would remember inoculator.
Why wouldn't they? It's as strong as Thirteen and people remember that.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

Wouldn't be the worst name I've seen. Blackpool has Infusion, which basically is a synonym for "brewing tea".

scw55

Hyper Poster

Has the word fusion in it which sounds all nuclear.
You can have a stupid name and get away with it if half the word sounds more impressive.

Like Insania.

Martyn B

CF Legend

That is crazyness.... next it will be on Buckingham Palace! :lol:

bob_3_

Giga Poster

Well it pretty much looks like the new ride name will be The Smiler! After posters have now appeared with it on.

Now I've had time to digest it.. I LOVE the name, it's got that uniqueness that makes it memorable.nalton has always been good at branding, every name they've use in the past ten years have been SLATED by enthusiasts, Air, Rita..Th13rteen but once they settle into the park, they become a real brand and we get used to it.

Nick P

Mega Poster

Wow, that is somewhat hard to believe (pic). It almost makes you feel as if the amusement park industry has spread enormously, yet only 20% or less of London's citizens will know what it actually represents.

scw55

Hyper Poster

I still hate the name.
This comes to mind when I consider the name could be the Smiler.

SW7roll.jpg

It's not a Roller Coaster Name in my ears. It's a Flat ride's at the very most.

Status
Not open for further replies.