What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic

Strata Poster
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

Just got off the phone to Dad. Turns out he attended some seminar thing yesterday... at Alton Towers! He said that SW7 had its own slide in the powerpoint they were shown, but it just listed the bulleted facts that the news articles have published.

He did mention one interesting thing though (which he couldn't remember that much about :fp2:) Apparently they said that the new ride will be very much treated as it's own "brand" which would include releasing "a game". Now, what type of game, I have no idea. Board game? Phone app? PC game?

They also mentioned as part of that about there being a branded shop, but obviously didn't let on anything about the world's first element. Now whether they just mentioned it in the same way they would for any of their rides that has an exit shop, or whether it was a hint towards the rumours I don't actually know.

If I'd known in advance that he was going, I'd have better prepared him to take notes/ask questions! hahaha!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

16 seater trains?! That means the trains ARE a new design! Or it's not a Gerst!

Either way, I'm thrilled! I have nothing negative to say anymore. :D

I find Nic's news about branding both exciting and interesting... Alton's always had a good brands, it's wavered a bit, but for the most part they've produced attractions who's marketing, name and merchandising has been pretty damn strong.

This shop business with SW7 excites me. Recently, they've opted against "exit through retail". It just seems madness... Why wouldn't you put a shop at the exit of a major attraction and force people through it? I love theme park shops. I love branded crap. M&M World excites me, as does the shop at the end of the Hershey Chocolate World tour thing. I have NO care for these brands, yet the sheer amount of stuff excites me!

loveagiga

Roller Poster

I completely agree, I LOVE gift shops filled with all that "stuff"!! My keys prove that too with a SFGAm keychain, a sfgam HH one, a Rita one, a Th13teen one, an Oblivion one, & a Swarm alien emblem one!! Haha I'm obsessed with AT & SFGAm if you cannot tell. ;)

In all honesty, I still have a feeling this is Maurer Shone...

Regardless of who makes it I'm bloody excited, cause Alton will do well with it. I have my own opinions, you have yours...I think every major thrill at Alton has been successful in one way or another. Marketing can be drastic or even silly but its even the silly bull they do that separates them from anyone else. Alton is truly one of a kind & this ride shall be no different. ;)

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Ian said:
Joey said:
16 seater trains?! That means the trains ARE a new design! Or it's not a Gerst!

Gerstlauer recently announced new launch trains, although for only 8 people, so maybe Gerstlauer could be ruled out. Oh, wait, people in the know have already confirmed SW7 is a Gerstlauer.

I was stunned today by news that this wasn't correct.

I no longer believe it is Gertslauer making this.
:shock:

(Unless my source is testing my ability to keep a secret.)

marc

CF Legend

I'm still hoping its not Gler tbh then I can go back to the people who called me an idiot and say "told you so" lol

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

furie said:
Now, if I turn up in April next year (or, let's face it, we'll know every nut and bolt by December) and it's something else, something better, then I'm going to be surprised and happy.

See, it's worth always expecting the worst. Though the worst now of course is two standard Eurofighter trains bolted together :lol:

I do love the way Alton just keep chucking us bones to fight over ;)

spicy

Giga Poster

One things for sure though, this is definitely not a Eurofighter if it has 16 seater trains.

I'm very pleased that it doesn't have eurofighter trains, automatically makes the coaster incredibly more exciting!

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

Surely we knew it wasn't a Eurofighter in the first place because of the lack of a vertical/past vertical drop? Is that not what defines a eurofighter??

bmac

Giga Poster

I really wonder if anyone else can confirm that statement about the trains on Nic's link. 4 seats by 4 rows, have there been any manufacturers who've built trains like that before? Strapping two Eurofighter trains together fits the 4x4 statement.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Crazycoaster said:
Surely we knew it wasn't a Eurofighter in the first place because of the lack of a vertical/past vertical drop? Is that not what defines a eurofighter??
We're talking about Eurofighter-type trains. The layout is obviously not that of a Eurofighter.

Nic

Strata Poster

bmac said:
I really wonder if anyone else can confirm that statement about the trains on Nic's link.
It says it in the press release from the actual park, so, yes.

http://press.altontowers.com/news-alton ... 2013-11705

Press Release said:
Passengers per ride train – 16 (4x rows of 4)
FWIW, I was also wondering where that had come from, which is why I went searching for the press release to check it :)

bmac

Giga Poster

Alright, thanks nic! I check this thread in snippets so it wasn't even on my mind to check the Press Release. So Gerstlauer still holds weight in this discussion (still more interested in that "World's First" however).

Nic

Strata Poster

By the way, the only other cars/trains I can think of with 4 rows of 4 are the Mack SuperSplash boats. Now, I'm not for a second suggesting that's what they'll be like, just wondered if it was a configuration we'd seen before. Can anyone else think of any other examples using 4x4?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Mysterious Sue said:
Crazycoaster said:
We're talking about Eurofighter-type trains. The layout is obviously not that of a Eurofighter.

Though apart from the lack of drop, it is...

This could easily just be classed as a "Custom Eurofighter" without beyond vertical drop. It doesn't fit anywhere else in Gerstlauer's product folio, so it's a best fit. So yeah, it could be classed as a new model (or it STILL could not be Gerstlauer), but from what we can tell so far, "Eurofighter" is the closest thing we have to describing it.

Slayed

Hyper Poster

So the train configuration fits Gerstlauer but not Maurer Söhne, while the track rendering on the plans fits Maurer Söhne but not Gerstlauer!

We're not confused at all :p.

Now that I've actually seen the proper theming in the revised plans, I'm excited regardless! Could the theme perhaps link with Swarm in some way?

Lancebloke

Roller Poster

How does the ride length compare with the time it takes to get round the track and the apparent speed mentioned? Is there anything else comparable to give us an idea of how long the train might be in the secret section?

Ethan

Strata Poster

Slayed said:
Now that I've actually seen the proper theming in the revised plans, I'm excited regardless! Could the theme perhaps link with Swarm in some way?

Revised plans?

Also, the track rendering is just them playing with Nolimits for ease, so we don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.