What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic

Strata Poster
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Sorry, when did the definition of "forever" become "2 and a bit years"?

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Right about the same time ADD/ADHD became the go-to diagnosis for poorly parented kids.

(Yes, I went there.)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

They've nipped in for some new supports and sensor units... Tesco value range of course ;)

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

On Towers Times, cherrish the fact this may be the last time we see 0 minutes on the board for years. :cry:

Smithy

Strata Poster

Seems odd that they've added it to the boards already, unless they're expecting it to open shortly? Possibly? Maybe? Unlikely?

Lul Tesco Uttoxeter is getting a Eurofighter.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

The rumours are that it's likely to open tomorrow. I hope not just so that it spites Mushroom :p

And also because I want to nip over and ride it first day, but I can't get time off work tomorrow and I'll be sad (I hope that it does open for Mushy really tomorrow :) )

Mushroom

Goon of the Year

furie said:
(I hope that it does open for Mushy really tomorrow :) )

Maybe they saw my post saying it will not open until I review it ;)

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

I've heard a rumour that Alton Towers are going to be on Watchdog tonight. Not offical source but if they are we all know why, I'm sure.

spicy

Giga Poster

Yeah Watchdog tweeted a while ago they are to feature on tonight's show.

To quote myself back in April:

spicy said:
I think it was touched on earlier, we can only assume that they are holding back on the marketing due to the park being open but the coaster isn't yet and they don't actually know when it is to open.

Remember back in 2001 when Thorpe was advertising Vortex, Detonator and Zodiac yet none of them were actually open which caused them to receive bad publicity on Watchdog.

I guess this is why Alton are holding fire on the marketing for now, as soon as they have a confirmed opening date I would assume that we will see an onslaught of fresh marketing.

Looks like what I said could happen has indeed happened. Just what Alton don't need is even more bad publicity for this coaster.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

No such thing as bad publicity. Alton will come out looking pretty good.

They'll lay down the "unforeseen" thing and how they issues tickets to return, etc. AND they'll then also get to say on national TV "we have a new ride which WASN'T open, but it WILL be when you come to see us!".

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

True but there's always the phrase "hatters gonna hate" :wink:

Anyway, Watchdog usually bores me when my parents watch it so at least this will be some amusement for me.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

Just for the laughs and the OUTRAGE I feel, I shall be watching Watchdog tonight also.

Well, BGT is on so I shall record it :D

Lofty

CF Legend

A ride that's themed to peril of your ordinary day to day life? Yeah, the item on Watchdog is going to help it...

Robbie

Hyper Poster

In the long term, Alton may come out OK out of all this. I mean, people would have gone this week anyway - and now they've got a reason to go back! And if the ride's any good all of these problems will be forgotten.

Nic

Strata Poster

Hahahaha, I love the idea that Tesco's statisticians are sat there scratching their heads

"There's been a 1000% increase in sales of bratwurst in Uttoxeter since the start of 2011. Perhaps we should consider adding a German selection to the 'Imported World Foods' aisle?"

On a more serious note, Watchdog will cause OUTRAGE. The people who watch it regularly are unlikely to think well of Alton afterwards. Mainly because they're the sort of braindead sheep that watch Watchdog. I bet they read The Sun or the Daily Mail too.

In reality, I think they've actually handled it reasonably well considering. OK, so they'd said the ride would be open and it wasn't. But that's probably not their fault. On the 23rd (and, from what I've heard, since then) they absolutely did the best they could. They were dishing out free tickets no questions asked to anyone who asked for one. I also really appreciate the 1 month AP extensions that they were giving out. Again, no questions asked. I really don't know what else they could've done to make the best of such a bad situation.

the king

Mega Poster

Maybe the Ropers might appear on watchdog, and praise Alton's new record breaking coaster. :wink:
In regards to the ropers though, I am surprised how Alton have put the area music quite high. From what I've heard in the videos that is, it does sound quite loud. Anyway, regarding to the ride opening I hope it opens tomorrow. Always nice reading reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.