What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lottie.

Mega Poster
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

^ LOL!

I'm not surprised that the layout will be different to the plans. It'll be interesting how this coaster will look once the track is fully erected.

Lofty

CF Legend

If they remove the 4 larger inversions that were on the plans, I will NOT be happy.

Coasterfreck

Hyper Poster

Personally I am dieing to get onto a coaster with a Serpent roll, and will not be happy if that is one of the elements that gets removed from this coaster.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

I somewhat doubt they'll be removing anything major, such as above, but with additional freedom, they will undoubtedly be altering subtle aspects and maybe segments of track, such as the first drop, which would not overly contrast the plans. I've always thought that, perhaps, an in-line twist or smaller zero -G could be easily incorporated at the start of what I assume to be the brake run, since the banking of the final turn already covers >45 degrees.

Coasterfreck

Hyper Poster

An inline right before the brake run would be amazing on The Smiler.
I have my reservations on something John Wardley said about this coaster beating the likes of Nemesis.
“[When talking about Nemesis, Air and Oblivion] Well our new ride is going to beat those.

It’s called The Smiler, it opens in May, and if you think Nemesis is big this is about twice the size of it. Whereas rollercoasters in the past have just played around with your body this ‘marmalises’ you and it plays around with your mind.

There are 5 mind manipulating elements that play around with you on the ride, so it’s more than just a physical rollercoaster.

What we have managed to do is pack more ride per metre of space than any rolloercoaster in the world. it takes you up 2 lifts, one is vertical, a 30m drop, all sorts of inversions and on top of that various effects that actually disoreintate you so it’s mental experience as well as a physical experience

For more information you can visit the Alton Towers website, which will tell you all the details except for one detail which we are keeping secret until the ride opens. It is a world-first and has never been done before and you are going to need to go to Alton Towers to see just what that is.”

Dar

Hyper Poster

I reckon there will be one of those rolls at the top of both lifts, and maybe a couple after the station and in that trench near the station.

marc

CF Legend

Yes was reading it and stopped as soon as I saw "plays with your mind".

I am actually looking forward to seeing how this turns out, it does actually look good so I don't see the need for then to hype it up. It should be better than Air, if not then there will be 2 coasters there I won't bother riding lol.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

I guess they gotta give it some hype. At least we aren't at Th13teen standard, the ultimate roller coaster, every ride you ever dreamed of in one. Was as thrilling as the runaway mine train.

At least The Smiler will be thrilling. Could be better than nemesis...only one way to find out!

Lofty

CF Legend

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmui8MfOu5A[/youtube]

Ok. First inverting drop seems to be happening and they've not got rid of the batwing elements and stuff.

T0M

Hyper Poster

I don't think anything has 'changed', more the plans were intentionally deceptive.

I can see the inversion record, as well as this most 'densley packed' claim AND a gimmickal world's first being applied to this still.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

WAIT, batwing gone?? I thought they'd already built it? Have I missed something...?

marc

CF Legend

^ you read it like me at first and missed the word "not".

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

untitledpngss_zpsc9bbe65d.png

untitled_zps2caa8341.png

Credit to Towers Street.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Confirmation indeed of the inversion on the drop. Cool :)

Lottie.

Mega Poster

^ That new piece of track looks cool! Can't wait to see how the rest of that section turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.