What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clifton

Roller Poster
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

The latest update by Staffordshire Sentinel itself says that the plans are underway for a new coaster at Alton Towers. The park's general manager, Ian Crabbe, said they are "working extremely hard to make sure this ride is the only one of its kind in the world."

The ride will cost more than the recent Th13teen coaster which cost £15m. It was inevitable that Alton Towers would get a new coaster as they do every three-four seasons, but as always, we can enjoy speculating about the "world's first" part!

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

^So does that mean that it'll just have a world's first element and AT won't be getting a new ride type? Like th13teen?

That's what I hated about th13teen though, they spent so much time on the world's first element but barely thought about the rest of the layout...

Intricks

Strata Poster

Can we troll this thread again?

On a serious note, maybe it will be an actual full thought out ride concept that is marketed properly and includes a worlds first element that doesnt suck?

Switching between the hideouts'...

T0M

Hyper Poster

John Wardley joined up with a TowersTimes meet at Alton Towers yesterday and reportedly revealed that the ride will be a Vekoma.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

Tom G said:
John Wardley joined up with a TowersTimes meet at Alton Towers yesterday and reportedly revealed that the ride will be a Vekoma.

John Wardley... Epic Troll...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

A world's first dropping mechanism or world's first vertical drop is 100% what Alton needs ;)

Was it confirmed by John, or did he say "we've been working with Vekoma"? If it was the phrase "We have placed an order with Vekoma for our new world's first coaster for 2013" then that means they have. Otherwise, it's typical misdirection.

ry1996

Mega Poster

Has this been confirmed? nothing about it on towers times website ?
If it's true i was hoping for the b&M people were saying however a worlds first Vekoma could be interesting.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

Awsome if it's true! Vekoma have some really cool new concepts, even tough I have not seen anything worlds first in them.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

^
Flying Dutchman (first true prone coaster)
Tilt Coaster (First coaster with a vertical tilt)
Electric Winch coaster (First propelled coaster to use a winch powered by motors)
Mad House (First revolving room ride)

Yeah, can't see any pioneering technology there :p

marc

CF Legend
New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

I think most people look at vekoma and see rough coasters.

Have tbh they have yet to ride a vekoma and go that was fantastic but maybe they can pull off a great coaster.

For me I don't care about a worlds 1st as that normally becomes the worlds worst of that type as other parks see it and improve on it.

Let's see what they come up with, it will be interesting to see what can be done next. I just hope if they go for a worlds first then it's a true worlds first and not a vekoma 1st if you know what I mean.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

^I do see what you mean. Air wasn't exactly the first flyer...
My gut feeling is that it'll be a shuttle, with several world's first elements...as AT don't have much space (that they can actually put a decent coaster in). This was quite clear when they removed the corkscrew.

Or a dark ride? (coaster)

Vekoma is an interesting choice though, if it is true, but I'm happy about it, they usually make great big coasters nowadays.I don't mind if this is intense...

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

^^The thing is also, when people look at Vekomas, they usually look at rides designed ten to fifteen years ago. The roughness we link to Vekomas usually stems from SLCs, Corkscrews or Boomerangs, while people tend to forget their smoother rides.

Ben

CF Legend

But even their smoother rides are hardly setting the World on fire. Battlestar is "OK" by general consent, but, I don't think anyone can argue a B&M would have been better. And probably not have chucked various wheel parts.

The BoosterBikes are meh, and the Tilt technology is flawed in practical and cost terms.

So we're left with... what exactly?

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

^Something completely new(Started from scratch and a new concept entirely)...which sounds great...

Ben

CF Legend

It sounds like a Vekoma.

IE., we'll end up wishing B&M had done it.

History has an odd habit of repeating itself.

Martyn B

CF Legend

I get the feeling that may have been one of Tom's odd "jokes".

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

Blah blah blah Vekoma hate... Blah blah blah more crap about Vekoma to look cool... Blah blah blah, even more crap about Vekoma to get my 'enthusiast popularity cred' up.

Give it a break already.....

Ben

CF Legend

Says the Apple fanboy.

If someone was going to buy an Acer computer, you'd be all "get a Mac!"

Vekoma are Acer. They work, sometimes do something new, but, are generally pretty crap. Cheap though.

B&M are Macs. The Macs are solid, awesome things. They're more expensive though.

If someone was going to give you a Mac, and then gave you an Acer, well, I think you'd kill yourself Erol.

Status
Not open for further replies.