What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Re: New "world's first" coaster at Alton Towers 2013

This will NOT be another Wingrider, If it is then i'll ride it naked without restraints!!, Its simply bad business with TP getting one a year before. I honestly have no clue as to what it will be, but if i was to have a stab in the dark i would put a tenner on a water themed ride. It would be strange for a park the size of AT not to have a moisture inducing ride (taking the rapids out of the equation).

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

True, but my bet is it'll be a coaster and they'll add another water ride a year or two after.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I don't think it wil be a wing-rider either. I know that the company is known for it's "well it worked there..." logic, but... No. I know it sounds daft but I simply think they are too big.

Personally, I'd be surprised if they remove the Flume. I hate the damned thing, and wish it would go... A coaster in that area would be superb. It's a large area, covered by tall trees = brilliant. Even in this large site though, A B&M wingrider is going to be difficult because of the wide envelope of the trains. It would require removing a heck of a lot of trees, which is costly and something the park really cant afford to do in terms of future building. they need those trees so desperately in order to get planning permission for pretty much anything.

But, I think the earlier rumours of Ripsaw and Blade being moved and a coaster going there is far, far more likely. I'd rather they didn't, because that area is already crowded.

I have absolutely no logic to back this up, I realise. :p

They have said it will be a thrill ride - whether that means it will be intense, or it will just give the impression and marketing of an intense ride is a question worth asking. If they really, really want an intense coaster, then hopefully they are looking at Intamin, not B&M. However, if they want an imposing thing that gives the impression of a large intense coaster, they should be looking at B&M. There is no way they could afford a really intense B&M these days. Nemesis is never going to happen again. Making an Intamin intense, however, really doesn't take a lot.

Whoever mentioned Cheetah Hunt - I totally agree. I ride like that would be perfect for Alton, that clambers around the ground at speed. Tim told me that those launches are an expensive piece of kit, though? And if that's the case we should just rule it out right now.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

Can I be the first to mention the word "AquaTrax" in here, just to get that out of the way? With only one model ever made, it would be easy to make a modification that would allow the public to view it as "the first in the world". It's also a borderline water ride, that theoretically could replace a flume ride.

And considering "world's first"... it might be just a big flat, or something. Not necessarily a coaster, but perhaps something in the grey zone. I think there are lots of possibilities to make a hybrid flume/coaster ride that enthusiasts will debate over for years without coming to any "cred or not"-conclusions.

Martyn B

CF Legend

There is no way they could afford a really intense B&M

Tim told me that those launches are an expensive piece of kit, though? And if that's the case we should just rule it out right now.

Why have we got to rule out exspensive kit? Have Alton got a really small budget for this?

Mark

Strata Poster

Joey said:
I think the sign is a red herring aimed to stir us.

Couldn't agree more! It is blatantly (but subtley in which it gets it across) there saying all the 'right' things to get enthusiasts attention and keeping a close eye on Alton in a particular area.

I know I may sound pessimistic but Alton are great at throwing people off the sent. Does anyone remember the gloomy wood motorbike coaster thingy... All the planning diagrams etc. What came of that period of time... Rita :-(

I would take this alll with a very large boulder of salt and hold fire before any assusmptions are made.

To be honest I absolutely adore flume rides when they are done well and in warm to hot weather. The sponsorship deal with Imperial Leather could have been so very much more. The actual boats, sorry bathtubs, was a piece of theming genius. It was just a shame that they didn't roll out the bathtime theme around the rest of the ride. I guess, given that it is now 30 years old it may just be time to say goodbye. It'll be a shame though. It isn't a BAD flume...

Either way, it has still achieved what they set out to achieve.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster

Pokemaniac said:
Can I be the first to mention the word "AquaTrax" in here, just to get that out of the way? With only one model ever made, it would be easy to make a modification that would allow the public to view it as "the first in the world". It's also a borderline water ride, that theoretically could replace a flume ride.

That's exactly what I've been thinking if I'm honest and I'd love to see it happen, but I doubt that it will :(

IF the Flume is removed and the area is designated for a large ride/coaster, they'll have substantial space to work with judging from what I can see from Google Maps.

I just wish something would happen near Gloomy Woods...

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Martyn B said:
There is no way they could afford a really intense B&M

Tim told me that those launches are an expensive piece of kit, though? And if that's the case we should just rule it out right now.

Why have we got to rule out exspensive kit? Have Alton got a really small budget for this?
No idea what the budget is, I assume it's the same as like... Swarm? The problem is that, at Alton, they have very little land they can build anything substantial on. The obvious answer is digging, but say they wanted to build something like Nemesis today... It would cost them in excess of double, possibly even tripple, what we're recently seen them spend on major attractions.

Also, take a look at recent examples. Take Thirteen... Where did all the budget so obviously go with Thirteen and what impact did that have on the ride as a whole? That drop mechanism cost big bucks and thus we ended up with a lacking theme and overall ride. Take Saw, where did all the budget so obviously go with that and how did that impact the ride as a whole? The theming and building a huge indoor section was the focus, but we lost out and got a cheap piece of hardware.

What we want is just a good quality ride. Good hardware, good layout, good theme. No gimmicks, no ****. Just an intense coaster of good quality. Swarm is looking to be like that, but doing something similar at Alton is impossible. They can't build in the valley, they can't take down many trees, they can't build above the tree line and it's far too costly to dig.

EDIT: Also, to expand on the "sign is a red herring aimed at enthusiasts" point. I would have thought there is a connection between this "greats" thing, the obvious winner, next years addition and the 2013 coaster. Yeah. I think they are, rather cleverly, using us as a marketing tool. We're SO predictable. The ride of the internet and marketing tools such as Facebook has allowed this. It's fantastic, it certainly is making the community seem more involved and relevant.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

I agree with Joey, after reading that poster on the park Friday (and the other smaller ones), I am definitely leaning towards it being a retheme rather than a removal...

The Flume is in a state yes, but it's still popular even with the change of height restriction, and considering how dodgy Towers and tree removal can be, it just reads to me that Captain Black will take over the Flume and nothing else...

Clever wordplay from Towers... Perfectly done... And will probably distract everyone from the real construction/tree removal...

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Alton Towers 2013

Found this article on towerstimes, looks like SW7 is coming earlier than expected! :--D

http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/news/news. ... m=&ucat=8&

This is bad news though for fans of the flume, however I've never liked that ride much!

What do you think? What will SW7 be? The article says it's coming from Switzerland which can only mean one manufacturer....B&M! :--D

Please reply :p

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Re: "Duck days are over" for the flume?

This is quite old news now, and most people now seem to be of the opinion that the sign was either a red herring or misinterpreted/over-interpreted. It's interesting none the less, because it's another marketing attempt aimed almost entirely at enthusiasts, which begs the question why are the bothering? In fact, I almost wonder if this is a by an enthusiast troll.

I do not believe for one second that the Flume is on it's way out. As awesome as it would be from my perspective to get rid of a water ride and replace it with a fantastic coaster in that dense woodland, the popularity of log flumes makes it highly unlikely.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Re: Alton Towers 2013

All they're doing is placing a huge replica galleon on the Flume lake to kind of bridge the theming gap between it and Mutiny Bay.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

But why would they do this? The flume does take up quite a bit of space and what other manufactuerers come from Switzerland?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

Alton do like tricking fans and what not, this is a prime example...

"TAKING OVER" are the words used... So if anything does happen, it will be a retheme to fit it into Mutiny Bay, and even if it 'just' that, it'd be better than those bloody ducks...

Also, Intamin are from Switzerland...

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

They're not exactly, massive coasters are they?
Too much like th13teen! Although probably better.

As for Intamin I can't see AT using them again...

andrus

Giga Poster

It would be stupid to get rid of a popular family ride like a flume, at least if they don't replace it. Therefore I believe in either a retheme or a new type of water ride to take it's place. Intamin (from Switzerland) is after all a very popular manufacturer of water rides!

T0M

Hyper Poster

Forgive me, but you've all fallen into their trap of deceptive humour.

They're referring to a vessel sailing in from Switzerland, which is famously landlocked. That's why Switzerland is mentioned, as it's a joke and will also get enthusiasts jumping to conclusions.

michaellll

Mega Poster

This actually looks like great fun :--D

7tkh0010567fuh825fhc8b.jpg

SW7 right here <3

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Just stopping in to bump this because I merged it with the other topic because I'm good like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.