What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Hyper Poster
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

It will be the only sit on top of track inverting coaster currently on park. Previously there was Corkscrew and Thunder Looper.

Montario

Roller Poster

I don't know why but the giant spider makes me think the ride is going to be based around a sort of infection causing a genetic mutation/change of a 'normal' spider; over time evolving into a huge creature of some sort. Hence the theming. Stupid I know...just my crazy idea. :lol:

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

The "spider" reminds me of the bad guy's lair in The Spy Who Loved Me.

atlantis-base-spy-who-loved-me.jpg

I think the design of the "spider" is nothing more than a futuristic base rather and some kind of Nemesis-esque creature wreaking havoc in the Staffordshire countryside. It is X-Sector after all, a place that's quite clinical and sterile, void of life.

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster

Okay, I revoke my previous statement. I'll stop looking as soon as track is on-site instead.

Regarding the spider, one of the themes mentioned in The Sanctuary is fear, correct? Plus Alton's Twitter occasionally mentions fear too, and how the Ministry of Joy will help people overcome these phobias, or "get corrected" as they keep putting it. It's a shot in the dark but lots of people (including myself) are scared of spiders, so that could possibly be how the spider statue ties into it...? Like, the MoJ are forcing us, their patients, to confront our arachnaphobia head-on...and then the 'world's first' element tumble dryer thing is us being wrapped/twirled up with web by the spider?

Just an idea. Probably a very silly idea but still. Either that or they woke up and thought "Spiders. Spiders are cool. Let's piss off the Ropers and make loads of noise erecting a technospider, then we can sell toys and videogames of our awesome technospider. PROFIT".

Slayed

Hyper Poster

On the plans the spider-thingie has LCD screens all around it's "head". Could be excellent (as long as they don't follow tradition and break in the first 6 months!).

It reminds me of War of the Worlds and Tripods (shows age).

Robbie

Hyper Poster

Ian said:
It is X-Sector after all, a place that's quite clinical and sterile, void of life.
No, that's Ice Age 4-D you're describing there ;)

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster

My idea for themeing, what about if the spider is like a prison guard and people get sent of lured to the prison like a spider and a web thing? Sounds crazy but it's my best guess.

Lofty

CF Legend

^ Yeah, that's not gonna happen. I jut think it's not gonna have an obvious, in your face storyline, it'll literally just be, here's an industrial building, it's meant to be Sci-Fi, guys, deal with it.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

^ Yeah. I don't think it's even got anything to do with being spiderlike. It's just a cool building. There's no reason, certainly not an obvious one.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Exactly. I dont get why people are making such a fuss about the 'spider' aspect, as if its actually supposed to represent an actual **** harvest spider or something.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

I think the spider object will be like that gammar ray thing in Oblivion's queue. You make-up what it's used for.
Or phreaps where the evil doctor (forgot his name) watches his pateince from and observes are fear level while were on the track.

scw55

Hyper Poster

I've always wondered what's the red liquid around Nemesis and the red blobby mechanical thing amongst the path near the entrance to the Forbidden Valley.
I think sometimes some theming is there to be cool and that's it.

I am not one who'd say 'don't read into things too much' around this coaster. But I think the spider is one of those things that is what it is. A Hexpod with spikes on one leg and looks like a communications tower.

nadroJ

CF Legend

It just comes under the heading of *generically identified as science-fiction* No actual meaning, but decipherable as being relevant to the theme.

Smithy

Strata Poster

But I love the name 'TECHNOSPIDER' :(

Whack on some RCT style techno music and it'd be heavenly.

Ollie

CF Legend

Here's a pic I took yesterday. Still nothing exciting.
525103_4652366704236_1405669573_n.jpg

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

^ Why are those walls getting in the way of our beloved dirt?! Anyway, after going on friday I can say that concrete has been poured on the ground, but other than that, theres not much that you can't see in the other pic's. Allthough I can say that The Sanctuary has me genuinely excited for this ride. The attention to detail in that maze is fantastic, and anyone who complains about the supposed lack of the Lord of Darkness in this ride is a weird as Dr Kellman is amazing and arguably even more unsettling than him!

scw55

Hyper Poster

Maybe there are many lords.

Epic brick paving imo however.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

^ Having numerous lords would be amazing if done right! But not going to lie, don't agree with the brick paving! Wouldn't a nice dirt track be so much better!

the king

Mega Poster

^Health and safety would be going after you. Also if it rains, the public would complain as to how there shoes are dirty and other stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.