What's new

Alton Towers SW8

Lofty

CF Legend
Ian said:
I think we're all set on a woodie aren't we? I've heard also from multiple credible sources that it will be a woodie but the manufacturer keeps changing. One moment it's RMC, next it's GCI, then it's RMC again. Personally I'd prefer a RMC but I'd take a GCI if it meant a return to proper thrill coastering at Merlin parks and not record breakers or gimmicks...or **** VR.

When they announce what it is, we will either hear the sound of a million enthusiasts splodging their pants, or the sound of million goony hearts breaking.
Yeah, same as what I've heard also, GCI apparently were the forerunners until The Smiler came along and then they knew they had to work on a more thrilling coaster, so they went with RMC, then. That's what I've heard and I really hope it's true.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
nadroJ said:
^I thought it was settled that those trees were removed for environmental reasons, because they had a virus or something?

Oh tits, really? That's a shame, but why was it such a like, thin pathway of them...unless they've removed more since. Awww I wanted a woodie to go through there :(

elephant58

Hyper Poster
From what I have heard, about 10 years ago there were plans for a woodie and a water chute type ride in a new area, which would've been located in the Air car park. Could it be possible that those plans have been kind of resurrected for this project?

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
elephant58 said:
From what I have heard, about 10 years ago there were plans for a woodie and a water chute type ride in a new area, which would've been located in the Air car park. Could it be possible that those plans have been kind of resurrected for this project?
Probably not because their is a massive SW8 sign in Mutiny Bay.

Martyn B

CF Legend
That launched RMC rumour is fairly old hat now, isn't it? I'm pretty certain we had a thread discussing it on here a while back.

Swat

Mega Poster
I don't know that much of the landscape but if this is to go from Ripsaw to the Flume site wouldn't this have to enter into the gardens going under the Skyride? I cant see how that could stretch it out that far as they couldn't build a massive lift to give the momentum required as that area is massive?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
My prediction is a launching water coaster.

Furie mentioned there already exists such a thing in Asia on Facebook, but I don't know of it.

I think Alton getting rid of their flume is ...weird. Like, really weird. And I'd be super surprised if whatever this is isn't water related. I also think a water coaster is non-coastery but also coastery enough to be viable marketing option post-Smiler from multiple angles.

That's a huge area though, and there were solid RMC rumours.

I say launching just because it's weird that Alton haven't really utalised launches that much considering they need their coasters to stay low... And there was a solid launching RMC rumour for Alton, followed by Dollywood doing just that, so yeah.

Those are my current two pennies.

Water. Launching.

I'd also say "family" but since Merlin are utterly incapable of producing anything for a family audience, either by screwing up height restrictions or a desire to make it aesthetically, narratively and thematically terrifying, I'll hold back on that. But it should be a family ride.

And when I say family I don't mean "lame", I mean accessible. It can still be awesome.

ALSO! Just because SW8 was a woodie at one point, doesn't mean it still is. Things change. Usually rumours that filter down through staff are very outdated by the time they make it to enthusiast ears. That doesn't mean they never were true!

I'd be surprised if it's wood just because of the recent safety issues being in the public eye coupled with the evidence we have of Merlin's research into the perception of wood in the past.

peep

CF Legend
Joey said:
Furie mentioned there already exists such a thing in Asia on Facebook, but I don't know of it.

hehe, I do believe he was hinting at the Aquatrax :p It gets suggested in every new coaster topic.

Oh and Pulsar at Walibi Belgium is a thing and is a launched water coaster. Granted it's only a shuttle based layout so maybe Alton could get a big circuit version?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Well done for seeing through the enigma there John :lol:

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

elephant58

Hyper Poster
owentaylor121 said:
elephant58 said:
Probably not because their is a massive SW8 sign in Mutiny Bay.

Well, obviously. I'm saying that a two ride project including a coaster and a water ride, could be implemented in this project.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I think I know what SW8 might be...

niKVBcQ.jpg

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Robbie said:
Sandman said:
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but there is now talk of 2 new rides.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/alton-towers-could-open-two-11054888
Doesn't that article say the 2 new rides are Galactica and whatever SW8 is going to be?

So, 1 new ride then.

I still think the SW8 sign is placed on the Flume site to make up for visitor's disappointment and doesn't really give a firm answer to where the new ride will mainly be.
Yeah, for all we know they don't even know yet.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

3Dimensions

Mega Poster
If there are two rides, the second part could be a horror maze. Sure, it didn't work with Saw but Merlin have done it with Krake (Alive).

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
3Dimensions said:
If there are two rides, the second part could be a horror maze. Sure, it didn't work with Saw but Merlin have done it with Krake (Alive).
No, Saw didn't work, Sub-Terra didn't work so that won't work.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I find that a lot of the British public just don't give a damn about scare maze attractions until Halloween. They will happily miss them if there's a coaster or flat nearby. The 2 most recent horror/maze attractions I did were Sub-Terra and Pasaje Del Terror. Both completely dead, which I think is a shame because those are the types of attractions you actually want a bit of a crowd for.

Anyway, the article from The Birmingham Mail was eventually corrected to 1 new attraction (SW8). Must've been a bit of a journo mishap.