What's new

Alton Towers SW8

Robbie

Hyper Poster
The cynic in me reckons the sign has hastily gone up to detract attention from the fact a familiar ride is suddenly not there.

Hope it's a woodie though.

Ben

CF Legend
Re: Alton Towers 'Announces' SW8

Martyn B said:
Yeah I know I'm going to be alone here, but I'd love to see a pirate themed Mack Water coaster.

Don't get me wrong, I love coasters I do. But I also love variety, especially at a park like Alton.

If the other option is RMC, you're on your own.

Also, it's not 2002.

The thing about Captain Black (why it gotta be black) and his weapon is interesting, cause, Switzerland, so B&M or Intamin.

I kind of feel we can rule both of those out and I don't really know why? It won't be what they were planning on in 2011 that's for sure.

I just, it needs to be an RMC. Nothing else will do. Well, maybe a B&M Giga...

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I believe the "Ducks days are numbered" poster was a joke made by management to tease enthusiasts, and nothing more. The nod to Merrie England, secret weapon, B&M (Switzerland and "Black's Marauders"; the M doesn't need to be capitalised), etc.

If it wasn't a joke and actually some obscure reference to a planned coaster, then I'd be surprised if this was the same project to be honest.

Still a nice thing to see mind.

mouse

Giga Poster
Robbie said:
The cynic in me reckons the sign has hastily gone up to detract attention from the fact a familiar ride is suddenly not there.
That's a point, the sign could be there early to stop people complaining about the flume closing, saying its to build something bigger and better...

Nevertheless, its very good timing for making the announcement.

Please be RMC...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Here's to hoping this topic breaks the record for longest construction topic for a single coaster... :D

Please be an RMC. Or a woodie. Or a Mack launched. Or just something actually good without a gimmick.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
A little bit worried that this is going to be a water coaster or perhaps a modern log flume type thing. The sign says pirates to me and pirates say water. Perhaps something similar to that Kumbak ride at Efteling

Martyn B

CF Legend
All these closures all over the park now sort of have a different feel about them. There could be so much new stuff to look forward to, not least this!

Sandman

Giga Poster
Chris Brown said:
A little bit worried that this is going to be a water coaster or perhaps a modern log flume type thing. The sign says pirates to me and pirates say sea. Perhaps something similar to that Kumbak ride at Efteling

I can see why people are suggesting a Pirate theme but I don't really know... it's a bit of a leap to run with that at this very early stage. As for Towers getting a modern Flume, I can't imagine it happening. The flume was on it's arse over the last decade, and I don't really think people cared enough to ride it all that much. The only way they'd invest in a modern flume is if there was something very different about it... I mean gimmicky for the sake of marketing.

Also, this is a 'Secret Weapon' so my inner goon is leaning towards a coaster. I'm very prepared for another gimmick piece of ****, but at the same time I feel like the forgiving wife who always gives her husband another chance despite being constantly let down.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Sandman said:
Tayto dropped a serious A-bomb with Cu Chulainn - it's basically given the place a new lease of life. And that's at a small park in rural Ireland. Just imagine what Towers could do with a coaster of that magnitude, plus a solid marketing campaign, an interesting theme and narrative. Could be the best thing since Nemmy.

What do you mean new lease of life? For Tayto? I'm a bit confused, new lease of life usually means breathing life into something that was dying, whereas Tayto are just getting started. Also, big chain parks over here don't give a **** (or have even HEARD OF) what Tayto Park are doing, so it really has no impact whatsoever. Blackpool on the other hand, that could have some weight.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Mack or RMC launcher, nothing else would generate enough speed for a layout due to the restrictions.
I'm pretty certain it'll be a cred as all the SWs are, and it'll be substantial so I'm discounting a new flume, dark ride and water coaster for now.

Exciting :)

Sandman

Giga Poster
I mean, the woodie at Tayto was a bit of a breakthrough for the park. It hasn't really got THAT much else on the line-up, so with that addition, it has broken the mould. It has made a solid investment into it's future and opened up more opportunities for the future. Bad phrasing on the previous post, my bad.

And I don't believe for a second that Merlin haven't paid any attention to Tayto's biggest ride investment. Their research department will have their eyes on all the pies so to speak. They will want to see (especially in the local vicinity) who is doing what and obviously, what the outcome is.

nadroJ

CF Legend
They could've added a Big Apple and it would have been a breakthrough for the park XD Aside from the train they literally had NO RIDES. So yeah, I get what you're saying but bad example lol.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Looking forward to keeping an eye on this one! An RMC would be the ideal, I'd love a wooden coaster winding around those trees, when I went last March....Obviously before the smiler incident happened, loads of trees had been removed behind Thirteen's queue, rumours were rife that it was for a new big coaster, here's hoping they've revived those plans. Exciting times ahead!

I don't necessarily think this is being planned to rival anything Blackpool might have planned but it might have brought it forward. Who knows! Looking forward to this unravelling over the coming months!

nadroJ

CF Legend
^I thought it was settled that those trees were removed for environmental reasons, because they had a virus or something?

Sandman

Giga Poster
nadroJ said:
They could've added a Big Apple and it would have been a breakthrough for the park XD Aside from the train they literally had NO RIDES. So yeah, I get what you're saying but bad example lol.

Haha a big apple isn't going to bring in the punters though. The UK (and of course, Ireland) is a volatile place for business start-up, especially a theme/amusement park! So for Tayto to whip up a big woodie after like 6 years of operation is a pretty spectacular thing to do in this part of the world. Places like BPB, Fantasy Island (the list goes on) have failed to build something that significant in a good number of years. That's something people will notice if it continues. I just hope Merlin diversify their portfolio a bit and just give in to the wood :wink:

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, and they've been gone ages haven't they?

The Towers over the years have just seemed to randomly remove clumps of trees for viruses. Like, they have the sickliest forest around apparently cause they're always doing it. They were doing it in like, 05 when we were all like omg so gonna be a woodie.

Also, yeah, the UK theme parks don't care what Tayto are doing any more than they would care what Efteling is doing - which is not at all. They're not competition - people who would go to Alton aren't going to go to Tayto instead. They might go to Blackpool though.

Tayto is just an example of someone with a passion for parks with the money to do something making a great decision - it's AWESOME that it exists, but it's not really the same thing as Alton.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Sandman said:
nadroJ said:

Haha a big apple isn't going to bring in the punters though. The UK (and of course, Ireland) is a volatile place for business start-up, especially a theme/amusement park! So for Tayto to whip up a big woodie after like 6 years of operation is a pretty spectacular thing to do in this part of the world. Places like BPB, Fantasy Island (the list goes on) have failed to build something that significant in a good number of years. That's something people will notice if it continues. I just hope Merlin diversify their portfolio a bit and just give in to the wood :wink:

I think people forget that Ireland is a totally different country to the UK, untouched by Merlin. Which is why they take bigger risks. Ireland is particularly unique, in that it has no other competitor parks. Maybe Alton, but people still have to make the trip across the water for that, and well, if you're going across anyway likelihood is you'll go to Disneyland instead, keeping up with the Joneses and that. I think you can't compare Tayto to parks operating the the UK because it just doesn't have to deal with the same customer climate that the likes of Merlin, BPB, etc do.

People were already going mental for Tayto when it was just a zip-wire and a zoo, because of the fact that there was literally nothing to rival it. Not just no theme parks, nothing even remotely similar. Of course it was going to do well. Tayto fits more in line with the way the rest of Europe operates its theme parks, ie, no fear of wood. So it makes total sense for them to get a woodie. Family friendly, yet huge and impressive, but still with an attractive price tag. Not groundbreaking, simply good business sense.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
This project will either make or break the future of AT. If it lives up to the potential to be RMC, then it will bring back the glory of AT. If it's another Merlin let-down, then AT is doomed.

Smithy

Strata Poster
After last year there's every chance this high investment year will be brought forward to next year, though I imagine if they've not even begun removing the flume yet a big scale ride will probably be 2018 season.

Also, this is Alton so already I'm tempering my expectations for a gimmick coaster that may surprise in being decent.

Sandman

Giga Poster
nadroJ said:
I think you can't compare Tayto to parks operating the the UK because it just doesn't have to deal with the same customer climate that the likes of Merlin, BPB, etc do.

True dat. Generally speaking though, a place like Tayto has less to fall back on than a place like BPB who already have dedicated clientele and whatnot. To cut a long story short, Merlin could add a woodie to any of their parks for chump change and even if it brings in just 1 person, so what? They'll still make the big bucks and pull out another major investment a few years later. It really isn't a big risk for Merlin to try something a bit different. The question is, what will it take for them to hold back on the gimmicks and try to just put out a solid coaster?