What's new

Alton Towers' Next Big Thing?

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Seeing loads of people jump on the Axis bandwagon - but whatever new technology impresses him the most can still be something that already exists elsewhere rather than Alton would be getting the very 1st installation. Hybrids, Xtreme Spinner, modern launches - all sorts of possibilities really.

Ignoring the obvious possibility he is simply hyping it up for Merlin so who knows if you can really take what he says at face value.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Seeing loads of people jump on the Axis bandwagon - but whatever new technology impresses him the most can still be something that already exists elsewhere rather than Alton would be getting the very 1st installation. Hybrids, Xtreme Spinner, modern launches - all sorts of possibilities really.

Ignoring the obvious possibility he is simply hyping it up for Merlin so who knows if you can really take what he says at face value.

I do think if you listen to his phrasing and tone, he definitely intended to imply it was a first…

He was asked the question in past tense, and emphasised the future tense in his response.

“So is there anything new that’s come along that’s particularly impressed or even surprised you?”

“It IS coming along… Here!”

I really want you to be right though!!!

Indy

Hyper Poster
I might get skewered for this take, but my guess is it’s not an axis coaster because…

The axis coaster isn’t technologically impressive.

Sure, it’s a super cool concept and I look forward to riding one, but it’s not really a technological advancement. It’s just a new configuration. For all intents and purposes, it’s a spinning coaster put on its side in order to create a new age suspended coaster of sorts.

emoo

Hyper Poster
Hopefully an Axis will be made somewhere soon so we know if we actually want it to be the next best thing and default next ride anywhere' of note.

Peter Immelmann

Mega Poster
I might get skewered for this take, but my guess is it’s not an axis coaster because…

Sure, it’s a super cool concept and I look forward to riding one, but it’s not really a technological advancement. It’s just a new configuration. For all intents and purposes, it’s a spinning coaster put on its side in order to create a new age suspended coaster of sorts.

I fully get your point, but why should he be so picky with using that term? In the end he wants to advertise it.

And, to be honest, I think an axis coaster would fit very well. IMO, this coaster model really shines if it's not just a bare bone coaster but if there is theming and buildings around it (maybe partly enclosed...). The thing is, by construction the coaster cannot provide ejector airtime or hamgtine! It's all about snappy transitions and the visuals you get by changing your riding position with respect to the track. And that could be greatly enhance by theming elements and buildings it would fly through.

I guess Alton could really make this coaster model shine. So, I'm hoping for it.

Intamin Forever

Mega Poster

I agree with you.

It would be really hard for Merlin to market the Axis, and also create an immersive experience. As we know with Wickerman, the advertising was not as popular as they thought it would be, especially when they talked about wood and fire fusing. So when it would come to advertising an Axis, they couldn't really call it a 4D coaster or a spinning coaster, in my opinion it isn't either, to me it is a spinning car on the end of a stick attached to a normal coaster car. Plus, it's not like the coaster can do that impressive elements because of intensity and that lot, so it would be a stupid idea for Merlin to add one to Towers.

We all now know that Merlin has signed a massive multi - coaster deal with B&M which does include the Nemesis re-track, so could we possibly see a new Surf Coaster at Towers? This would be easy to market as it would be the first Stand - Up coaster since 1994 in the UK. We saw this marketing style with Wickerman as it was the first new wooden coaster in the UK for 21 years. It would be a sensible move, as Alton do have most of the different models on offer from B&M except from a Wing, Surf/Stand - Up, Family Invert, Sit-Down and Floorless.

Going through them models, starting with the Wing Coaster: they couldn't get one because both Thorpe and Chessington will have one, and they couldn't really build one at Alton because you have both a Launched Shuttle Wing Coaster at Chessington, which takes away the unique factor, and then you have The Swarm at Thorpe which is a highly themed and large Wing Coaster that takes away the high themed aspect of that model.

Then we move onto the Family Invert, and as much as we want and probably need a new family coaster at Alton, one that has nice, happy theming, unlike the fabulous Intamin Multi - Dimension Coaster at the back of the park. And as much as they already have an invert, being Nemesis, it would be a nice addition but would not live up to the Secret Weapon and Technological Advancement Status that our dearest Wardley has teased.

Next, I'm going to join both the Sit-Down and Floorless as they are practically the same model, just with different trains. It seems that these models have been made redundant as Gerstlauer, Vekoma and Intamin have come along and have revolutionised the multi - looping coaster, taking away that thunder from B&M. Also, with Alton having The Smiler, which is very much being an inversion intensive ride, it would make a B&M Sit-Down/Floorless seem redundant in the line up.

That brings me onto the B&M Surf Coaster, which could fill two main gaps in Alton's line up. Firstly, it would fill the gap of a stand-up position ride at Alton and offer another unique seating/standing position on a coaster in the line up. It would fit with the Invert (Nemesis), Flyer (Galactica/Air), Dive (Oblivion). The second gap it would fill is a multi-launch coaster that has 2 or even more launches, and I know what you are thinking, but once High Surf opens at Seaworld and possibly another opening in the next few years it will show that it gives parks a chance to fill 2 gaps in one coaster. Also, once we see how High Surf works out, it will allow B&M to experiment more by adding more launches and also some more daring elements never before used by their highness.

Conclusion, it is a very controversial idea, and I do know how you will respond but it is a serious idea and we know how much Mr John Wardley likes working with B&M and is probably nagging on at John Burton to work with them on a new project as they are reliable and you know what you are going to get from B&M when you buy a ride, so I very much want to know your opinions on this idea, and I will stick by this until I am proven wrong.