What's new

Alton Towers' Next Big Thing?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Merlin are recruiting a Project Manager specifically for Alton Towers Resort, with the task of delivering multiple large scale CAPEX projects over the coming years, with the pipeline being described as "incredible":-

What do you think this could mean for the future of the resort? To me, this confirms the park have got several things in the pipeline and it might actually not be that long until we see SW9, whatever that may be. Since Merlin seem to have sped up the CAPEX cycle after becoming private and wanting to build back from Covid, interesting times are likely ahead!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
This could be summarised as "Theme park says their future is bright; wants to hire for a standard important role"

I'm sure they're working towards something new and their next big projects, likely for after the Nemesis retrack, but this feels a bit of a non-story for now.
(Not a dig at you Crash for sharing btw, just a "this is a thing which tells us nothing")

The job post for anyone curious...

Will

Strata Poster
The opposite of revenue expenditure, which is 'current assets' not expected to last more than a couple of years.
Yay for finance qualification I for some reason have :)

MarsdenDean

Roller Poster
Was it not a rumour that Merlin had employed B&M for a new ride? Was hoping Alton would put another ride in alongside Nemesis

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Was it not a rumour that Merlin had employed B&M for a new ride? Was hoping Alton would put another ride in alongside Nemesis
The same rumour said that the Thorpe coaster was a B&M…

It also said that the Towers coaster was a cross valley hyper…

However, I think the same rumour mentioned the Nemesis retrack, so that was right!

In fairness, it all started as rumours of a 3 ride deal. Then it was stretched to the above by one youtuber.

Could it be that the 3 ride deal rumour was accurate, but it includes the Nemesis and Chessi projects??? (And no cross valley hyper!!!)

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
The same rumour said that the Thorpe coaster was a B&M…

It also said that the Towers coaster was a cross valley hyper…

However, I think the same rumour mentioned the Nemesis retrack, so that was right!

In fairness, it all started as rumours of a 3 ride deal. Then it was stretched to the above by one youtuber.

Could it be that the 3 ride deal rumour was accurate, but it includes the Nemesis and Chessi projects??? (And no cross valley hyper!!!)
I've heard rumours of a B&M family invert for Legoland Windsor within the next few years, but that is just a rumour.

Matt N

CF Legend
I've heard rumours of a B&M family invert for Legoland Windsor within the next few years, but that is just a rumour.
That would be great! I do think Legoland could possibly do with a slightly bigger family coaster than Dragon, and if it’s a B&M, I think it would fit well, and it would certainly get me back down there!

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
That would be great! I do think Legoland could do with a slightly bigger family coaster than Dragon, and if it’s a B&M, I think it would fit well, and it would certainly get me back down there!
I'm going to throw the thread off-topic a bit here, but I think Legoland/Merlin should start seriously looking for 1/ maybe 2 inversion coasters for the older crowd. I have friends with kids who often visit the California/Florida Legoland parks and their oldest is starting to have more of a want for a more intense coaster. Maybe something like a Vekoma with a loop or a barrel roll could do.

Matt N

CF Legend
I'm going to throw the thread off-topic a bit here, but I think Legoland/Merlin should start seriously looking for 1/ maybe 2 inversion coasters for the older crowd. I have friends with kids who often visit the California/Florida Legoland parks and their oldest is starting to have more of a want for a more intense coaster. Maybe something like a Vekoma with a loop or a barrel roll could do.
I think the B&M family wing coasters in the Chinese parks (and rumoured to be coming to the German park) may well satisfy this demand, as Chessington's appears to have a barrel roll from the planning application!

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
I think the B&M family wing coasters in the Chinese parks (and rumoured to be coming to the German park) may well satisfy this demand, as Chessington's appears to have a barrel roll from the planning application!
I think it should just be a straight looper, not a wing. That might scare kids off.

Rupert

Mega Poster
I’m sure @JoshC. is right that this is probably nothing significant, just a standard role. Perhaps as simple as someone leaving the incumbent position.

However to put on my optimistic hat - whilst the Nemesis retracking is a major project, it’s not likely to excite the public or increase attendance - it’ll actually reduce the park’s lineup for at least a season. If the park can say ‘hey, as well as Nemesis coming back better than ever, we’re also building a new coaster/flume/whatever’, it’ll help deflect from the gap in the lineup and excite people to return.

It’s already 4 years since Wicker Man opened so without the Nemesis retrack we’d typically be seeing something big sooner or later. I imagine the answer to the question ‘how big?’ depends on how long the retrack was planned for - was it a surprise realisation that it couldn’t operate too much longer so a sudden diversion of funds (unlikely), or was it factored in for years as a necessary expense, like any maintenance should be.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
2025 will bring about the much anticipated expansion of the World of David Walliams. It’s star attraction: ‘Ice Monster’ - a Zamperla Disco with a world’s first: the only Disco themed to that book (in the UK).

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
and that rumor was correct, but plans have changed over time
I can see why you’d say that, but no it wasn’t entirely correct, since the rumour more precisely claimed “Merlin had ‘signed’ a deal for 3.”

So yeh, no smoke without fire, but as usual, people put 2 and 2 together and get 5!

At any time Merlin magic making could be looking at multiple ‘ideas’ doesn’t mean they all come to fruition.

Matt N

CF Legend
I can see why you’d say that, but no it wasn’t entirely correct, since the rumour more precisely claimed “Merlin had ‘signed’ a deal for 3.”

So yeh, no smoke without fire, but as usual, people put 2 and 2 together and get 5!

At any time Merlin magic making could be looking at multiple ‘ideas’ doesn’t mean they all come to fruition.
I think they meant that the bit about Thorpe's coaster being a B&M was nearly correct; as it turned out, the rumour wasn't necessarily unfounded nonsense by any stretch. That alternative layout certainly looked very B&M, and it could well have been that alternative layout being seen by someone that made the rumour mill assume B&M Hyper.