What's new

Alton Towers' Next Big Thing?

Matt N

CF Legend
Personally, I’m thinking it’s more likely to be Burton pulling our leg than it is to be an actual hint at the ride being an RMC, but I’m certainly open to surprises!

My personal thought is that Intamin seem like a reasonably likely candidate, as I feel like a Multi-Dimensional Coaster would be a logical fit for the space and they seem relatively dominant in the indoor coaster sector at present, but anything could happen at this stage, particularly given Merlin’s recent propensity for going with somewhat unorthodox ride types and/or suppliers.

emoo

Hyper Poster
It was so blatant, with excellent timing of Oblivions drop, could they back down from that uber hint?

RMC just so happen to have sent picture squares to various coaster content creators in the past few hours. When you (or in this case 'Station Wait') put them all together you get this.
20230816_163101.jpg

I guess I see what I think I see but those supports look to me like ones you'd use in an enclosed attraction and not like Fire in the Hole. Also this is in the wOOds.

jasone

Roller Poster
I really do think this means we’ll be getting an RMC at Alton. The size of that coaster seems to go along with what we know about project horizon. Also… the timing of this alongside Alton’s video, with John even having an RMC mug… Also the fact the coaster has drive tires and not a chain lift, when RMCs chain lifts are notoriously noisy, may explain why we would be getting a smaller, indoor RMC. It could be a lot of trolling, but if the shoe fits…

Swat

Hyper Poster
Hmmm mixed emotions if it is true.

Happy the UK will finally be getting an RMC. Disappointed it will be a tiny indoor version..
Fingers crossed they have a good experience or have a multi ride deal so Merlin are more likely to get one at Thorpe in the future!

Georgie-M

Mega Poster
My personal thought is that Intamin seem like a reasonably likely candidate, as I feel like a Multi-Dimensional Coaster would be a logical fit for the space and they seem relatively dominant in the indoor coaster sector at present, but anything could happen at this stage, particularly given Merlin’s recent propensity for going with somewhat unorthodox ride types and/or suppliers.
you see, I'd be right there with you on this being a studio tour or uncharted-style intamin.. if the park didn't already have a multi-dimension coaster right down the path. Yes, it wouldn't be the most redundant addition we've seen a park make and they can certainly make the ride different enough to Thirteen to be worth the investment, but I'd certainly be happier with something more unique for the park's lineup.

Matt N

CF Legend
you see, I'd be right there with you on this being a studio tour or uncharted-style intamin.. if the park didn't already have a multi-dimension coaster right down the path. Yes, it wouldn't be the most redundant addition we've seen a park make and they can certainly make the ride different enough to Thirteen to be worth the investment, but I'd certainly be happier with something more unique for the park's lineup.
The ride type has changed considerably since Thirteen was built; a ride like Uncharted, Studio Tour or Gringotts would be very different to Thirteen, particularly if they really honed in on the dark ride element in the way that something like Gringotts does.

Thirteen and a ride like that could very well be similar in name only. The model has expanded so much since Thirteen was built, and there are vastly more different drop tracks available.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Ok, if you were Merlin and you wanted a small-ish, fully enclosed, family-thrill coaster, why on earth would you go to Rocky Mountain Construction to do it? It just doesn't make sense. That'd be like turning a B&M wing rider into... I dunno, a family shuttle coaster or sumat. Never gonna happen.

Oh wait... 🙄

spicy

Giga Poster
Ok, if you were Merlin and you wanted a small-ish, fully enclosed, family-thrill coaster, why on earth would you go to Rocky Mountain Construction to do it? It just doesn't make sense. That'd be like turning a B&M wing rider into... I dunno, a family shuttle coaster or sumat. Never gonna happen.

Oh wait...

John Burton and his amazing ideas!!

toofpikk

Mega Poster
John Burton and his amazing ideas!!

No.

It's been said before.
John is genuinely a talented designer, and is probably just working with the tools he has at hand.

Can't reason why he plasters his face on stuff so much, maybe it's to put more weight to his name, but it's more than likely that with all these projects, his creativity is squashed by budgets, poor detail execution, or medelling marketers who HAVE to have something weird and unqiue to market, rather than just, a plain, good, ride.

CineramaMax

Mega Poster
We have absolutely no idea what this ride is going to be until we see vertical construction. Merlin have successfully trolled enthusiasts before.

emoo

Hyper Poster
It's just a thing RMC have been doing in the teases, they haven't said why. Maybe that's part of the reveal tomorrow. Early on I had a silly concern that it was somehow linked to a Larson loop given the new partnership but they showed a coaster in the picture.

Its going to be bizarre wherever this lands, anyone guessing world wide is just picking their nearest park in need. Let hope for the mods sake of having to relocate posts that it does end up at Alton even if its a baffling move by Merlin.