Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^^Guess I'll have to word myself better, and risk getting UC on my neck:

Remember the self-operated Butterfly coasters? They pull up backwards, then go forwards. No left turns, no right turns. The car moves on two axis:
1: Back and forth (1st dimension)
2: Up and down (2nd dimension)

Then we have traditional coasters. They go in three directions, so three ways to go:
3: Left and right (3rd dimension)

Remember that back and forth counts as one direction, or one axis if you want.

Then, we have the 4D coasters. They move in four directions (NOTE: This is stretching the definition of "moving" a bit):
3: Left and right (3rd dimension)
4: Seat rotation (4th dimension)

Last, but not least, we have the ZacSpins AKA Ball Coasters. I hope this illustrates my point. They move on these axis:
3: Seat rotation (4th dimension)

See? It may be a bad explanation, the trains move in the fourth dimension, but not the third. The 4Ds have turns, whereas the Ball Coasters are pancake flat seen from the front. So three dimensions, not four.

(P.S.: One may count Time as one dimension, so technically speaking, most coasters are 4D)

Ben

CF Legend
^Um... I think you're overcomplicating it a bit.

A 4D is just a name for a coaster that has seats on the side of the track which spin head-over-heels while travelling.

Check the RCDB page for Kirnu or Inferno - it'll say "Type: Steel - 4th Dimension"

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Yeah, agreed on that. I guess that the words "in my opinion, these should not be counted..."etc should be there. But for some reason, I missed them, so instead, I put up a large technical explanation that's even wrong.

nemesisnutter

Roller Poster
Alton could do better than an Intamin Ball Coaster. But the Gustlauer Bobsleds look like they have terrible capacity, I don't think it would work for Alton.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Wikipedia:

''2010
To fill the Corkscrew area there will be a new attraction code named SW6 (Secret Weapon 6). This new ride is rumoured to be a major new attraction for Alton Towers and will join Nemesis (SW3), Oblivion (SW4) and Air (SW5) by having an 'SW' code name.
''

Will

Strata Poster
Jewls1993 said:
Ormerod said:
Wikipedia

ALERT! ALERT! :lol:
But it's not telling us anything we didn't know already - or anything Alton's management haven't already confirmed (assuming ATA are to be believed, and I'm pretty certain they are...)

Smithy

Strata Poster
Lol at ATA where they said that Wing Rider is a rumour.

Thinking about it, maybe a big coaster wouldn't be a good idea. That section is already quite badly congested due to the number of guests riding/queueing for/watching Rita. To build another large coaster, especially a woody, would leave that area SWAMPED. I suppose if they could add quite a bit of path space to it like (I think) they did with Air and it's close proximity to Nemesis it would work. Although the bad thing is that this means there'll be no new rides pretty much for the next two years in X Sector.

spicy

Giga Poster
^I know what your saying UC but since Rita they have built:

A new play area for the kids (Dung Heap)

Charlie and the chocolate factory for the kids,

A new pirate themed area for families, and guess what is new next year? A new area with another play area for the kids.

I think that they could invest in maybe one big attraction for thrill seekers in 2010?

marc

CF Legend
What do you call a family ride? say a family is parents and 15 year olds then Nemesis, Air etc are family rides to them as well.

There are more than enough kid rides at Alton Towers they dont need another right now.

Ugland is at the back of the park and I feel should be set aside for more grown up people.

Smithy

Strata Poster
I just have a feeling that this opportunity is too much for them to pass on. There's nomore room in the park for a station for a big ride in the valley, and that is pretty much the only reasonable location for it. I still think it's unlikely, but is a possibility.

spicy

Giga Poster
^ I agree, there is so much potential to use that valley, Alton must really want to take advantage of it, look at the original woody drops into the valley

plan6.jpg

*drools*

costar

Mega Poster
It is worth pointing out though that Wardley really wants to see a wooden coaster built there. If I haven't heard him say it, I've definitely read it several times. And the bosses at Alton will try to pursue what he wants, without a doubt, they have little ride knowledge themselves and treat his word as The Word.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Quite right UC, and I'd not be upset if we saw a Troy at Alton :)

spicy said:
^I know what your saying UC but since Rita they have built:

A new play area for the kids (Dung Heap)

Charlie and the chocolate factory for the kids,

A new pirate themed area for families, and guess what is new next year? A new area with another play area for the kids.

I think that they could invest in maybe one big attraction for thrill seekers in 2010?

And since 2005 Alton have had steadily increasing gate figures... Even though it's unrelated to the new kids stuff, the marketing people are generally stupid enough to believe it was their doing ;)

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
costar said:
It is worth pointing out though that Wardley really wants to see a wooden coaster built there. If I haven't heard him say it, I've definitely read it several times. And the bosses at Alton will try to pursue what he wants, without a doubt, they have little ride knowledge themselves and treat his word as The Word.

Do they bollocks. Am I the only one sick to ****ing death of seeing John Wardley being deified?

Anyway, if there is going to be a new coaster, when can we expect the marketing/hype/announcements to start? I know it's not possible to predict exactly, but what was the timescale with the other SW projects, assuming this will be one?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Site clearing will start over the closed season, construction will begin probably Easter/Summer next year. If it's a major ride.

If not, it won't be until this time next year.

For all other projects of this 'scale', Alton just say "new coaster, come back and see" and you don't know anything more until the ride appears on site - then they let it all out.

They're bastards like that generally, but we do have new management since Rita...

Status
Not open for further replies.