What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc

CF Legend
Again by visiting the park shows you are in favour of the park.

I suppose you can send in letters to the local council showing support, but its not relevant. If you dont live in the area it does not affect you apart from when you visit, these people live there and see the park and traffic every day its open.

Most locals say it benefits them thanks to jobs, but its the odd one or 2 that always have to moan and complain.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
There's no way to do it officially. Alton say "here are our arguments for". 39 people say "here are our arguments against".

The council get in experts and work out which argument is the strongest.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Visiting the park only puts money in their pocket. That isn't the kind of support they currently "need".

A few complaining locals are vastly outweighed by the hundreds of people who WANT a new ride. Locals will want a new ride to attract passing trade, on top of us lot and the GP, to some extent.

It is quite irrelevant that few of the people for a new ride don't experience the issues the locals are complaining about.

Why? Because the locals aren't experiencing anything different to every individual in the world experiences. It's called growth... and change.

I bet in the 1960's, some grumpy old individuals living where I do now were complaining about Bromley being transferred from Kent to London... Worrying about it becoming busy, etc. When a bus was to be added to my road, my Grandmother signed a petition to stop it, worrying about traffic!

Part of a countryside country becoming a part of one of the world's biggest cities is no different to the situation in that little Village of Alton. Except perhaps that the growth of Alton has perhaps occurred much faster.

I bet the traffic Alton must cause is probably horrific. But all the while I'm putting up with a queue of traffic every Sunday for people wanting to go to the skip on my road, I have little sympathy.

I just find it so shocking that they think their issues are so different to everyone else's.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
So Joey, if they were to build a low security prison for the mentally and criminally insane at the end of your road - you'd be happy with that? It's just progress and change after all? Things have to move on, they have to keep the murders somewhere to help re-integrate them into the community.

The point is, that people get used to how things are. They like stability. They like looking out in the morning and seeing the same world they looked out on yesterday. Change isn't always good, and sometimes the minority need to make a stand to all those indifferent, or those who are doing it just in the name of selfishness.

I'm not saying this is the case here, this is just people being stubborn for the sake of it, but it's not as cut and dried as you make out.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Man, if Alton Towers ever closed for good, then the locals will have something to feel sorry about. They'd probably get together and demand it stays open because the traffic the park brings, is pretty much what the surrounding village lives off for about 60% of the year.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
furie said:
So Joey, if they were to build a low security prison for the mentally and criminally insane at the end of your road - you'd be happy with that? It's just progress and change after all? Things have to move on, they have to keep the murders somewhere to help re-integrate them into the community.

The point is, that people get used to how things are. They like stability. They like looking out in the morning and seeing the same world they looked out on yesterday. Change isn't always good, and sometimes the minority need to make a stand to all those indifferent, or those who are doing it just in the name of selfishness.

I'm not saying this is the case here, this is just people being stubborn for the sake of it, but it's not as cut and dried as you make out.
But your example doesn't fit at all. Find one with similar results to Alton's growth and you'd have a point.

What are the negative issues Alton creates for locals...? Noise pollution, traffic... What else? That is it! Now find one location in the WORLD that hasn't had to deal with an increase in these issues.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Iceland. Except the areas around the centre of government, the emigration office and the airports.

However, how strong is the opposition in the village? Is it the older generation that complains, or everyone (and if the latter, why the bleep did the younger generation come back to Alton to settle after the studies?)?

And if any of you have ever spent a few hours there, how prominent is Alton's prescense in the village? Can you hear the coasters rattle all day, or screaming once you get outdoors? And how bad is the traffic? Is there really anything to complain about?

Ollie

CF Legend
Whenever I've gone to Alton the traffic hasn't been bad at all. You can't hear the coasters from around the park until you're in the car park and even then It's quiet.
And you can't see anything apart from the Towers which doesn't spoil the view of trees and if you know where to look you can see the top of Oblivion but it's barely visible.

A

Anonymous

When driving upto the park from Leek way, you can spot:
Oblivion
Rita
Corkscrew (Used to be able to)

Also you can hear Oblivion outside the park towards the chained oak, so I can imagine you can also hear it from parts of the village to.

You can hear Oblivion slamming down into the hole from the entrance, and you can also hear Nemesis roar at the entrance too.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
One thing I've never understood is why did Alton never look into sand filling the tracks of their B&M much like Dorney and seaworld? Surely that would make them a whole bunch quieter..

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Don't think the problems then were as serious as they are now...

The sand idea may also be too costly at the current time, since the rides will need to be taken apart to do so...

marc

CF Legend
And have any of you been on the sand filled coasters? I tell you now Nemesis and Oblivian would not be the same simple.

Ben

CF Legend
^Parts of it are, I remember everyone arguing what these big silo things were for, and they were full of sand.

shawnoc

Mega Poster
Is it not decision day today?

Ive never really had any problems with traffic when getting to Alton, even when getting there just before the park opens. As for the sound issues, they are not to bad, its not to the point that it disturbs people to much. I didnt here to much while walking around Alton village. I even commented to my mate that you would never know there theme park at the top of the hill.

I think if nemisis was filled with sand it would change the whole atmosphere of the ride. The roar helps build up suspence when you queue for the first time.

Lets hope we get a YES today [-o<

shawnoc

Mega Poster
Sorry for the double post!

Dont hate for this if it turns out to be a load of ****e! According to someone on towerstimes forum, the coaster has been withdrawn from planning! Dont know how true this is, I do hope it is crap!

Just found this!!!!!!!!!

Protests hit plan for new Alton Towers rideThursday, February 12, 2009, 08:401 reader has commented on this story.
Click here to read their views.
A PLANNING application for a £12 million ride to replace the Corkscrew at Alton Towers has been deferred following a barrage of protests.
The attraction, billed as the "world's first roller-coaster of its kind", is to be built in the park's Ug Land and is due to open next year.
Residents and Alton and Farley parish councils have lodged objections amid fears over its appearance, noise nuisance and increase in traffic.
The application has been temporarily withdrawn to give Staffordshire Moorlands District Council planners more time to investigate the issues.
A decision will now be made at next month's meeting of the district council's planning applications committee instead of at a meeting today.
Thirty-nine letters of objection have been submitted and concerns have been raised that the ride – code-named Secret Weapon Six – will be located in the vicinity of an Iron Age hill fort.
A council spokesman said: "The council has deferred the application to the planning committee to enable more detailed consideration of representations received."

This is taken from the Senital today!!

Hopefuly this will not mean Alton are to shelve the plans. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.