What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Pokemaniac said:
^Iceland. Except the areas around the centre of government, the emigration office and the airports.?
It is almost guaranteed that those areas are experiancing and INCREASE in the things I mentioned. And they will continue to in the future.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
The Grape Wizard said:
Frreakin idiots those locals, surely they new this would happen living next to a theme park, i mean alton have tried there best, tree height, sand and everything, god im so annoyed now.

I agree, they are wrecking our fun.

Ok, some of them may have lived there prior to 1980, when Corkscrew was opened, but it is what it is. The UK's biggest theme park.
Personally I think any of them who moved to Alton post 1980, well, they don't get a say, their opinion is irrelevant. It was their choice to move next door to AT.

It's not even like AT are building a ride on an entirely new site, this is a replacement coaster. AT have to deal with so much crap in applying to build a ride. They already can't build above tree level, and when it comes to building a replacement this happens.

Seriously, I hope this ride gets built, and I hope it brings so much traffic to Alton in 2009 that the protesting locals understand resistance is futile. That is, it will have been if the ride gets built.

Or maybe they'll all die of old age soon, fingers crossed.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
It's not even like AT our building a ride on an entirely new site, this is a replacement coaster.

AND, I much quieter coaster! Corkscrew was LOUD compared to a modern Intamin. The plans also show this ride is smaller.

Never happy are they.

marc

CF Legend
They are building it on different land though, had they just build the ride where the Corkscrew was they would be ok. The are not though and this is why they need planning permission.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
I wouldnt be surprised if it disapears completely now. The locals have not looked at the plans, it would see. It seems they heard there would be a new ride and gone into an angry fit, without knowing anything about the ride. Fortunately, it has been put back one month and this wont affect the construction, providing it is accepted and does go to a meeting and not permantently withdrawn or withdrawn for a period of time while they are extensively modified.

tks

Strata Poster
Surely the hundreds of thousands of people that visit Alton Towers should outweigh 39 "I can see Alton Towers if I climb to the top of my tree and add a ladder" residents?

marc

CF Legend
Before I joined CF I never knew that nothing could be above tree height so you can bet most of the gp do not know this either. Like me they probably wonder why Alton never built a really tall ride.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Same with me, but I never really wondered why they were low, I just assumed it was just because thats how they wanted it.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Just a question...

Say, if Alton, CF and most of the GP go tell the residents of Alton to...
Now well, say that the villagers open their eyes and the local council gives Alton permission to build tall. After all, there are a thousand places in Britain that looks about the same as the Alton area, and the villagers realise that coasters are mighty cool after all.

Would Alton build anything drastic? I think they maight have added a drop tower, but never a Hyper. I think they would have gotten some of a skyline over the course of a decade or so, but... Was it ever in the spirit of the management to build tall?

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Don't think so. They are well known for low rides, and they care about their location. Thats why they have invested in restoring the towers themselves. They don't have space for a big coaster anyway, apart from in the valley, and they were verey carefull about the withdrawn valley coaster plans with the trees and viual impact. Maybe they would build a drop tower or something, maybe a bigger coaster, about 100 foot high, but not trully massive.

Intersting question though.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Alton would have, if they could have, taken the easy way out.

They are a business after all. Building under Alton's restrictions is more expensive. No business wants to spend extra money for no real reason. The majority of people are unconcerned with ride our connoisseur notions of what is a quality ride.

I'm not disregarding that fact that many individuals in the management at Alton probably care to some degree about the landscape and it's heritage. But it's a business and should behave like one if it's to make any money. Alton doesn't seek the audience that would be interested in it's heritage. It really couldn't care less and if the restrictions were lifted, they'd build tall and recklessly.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
I disagree-I think they would keep going low, because thats what they are famous for around the world. They are famous for being different and they seem to enjoy being different. I think that they thikn that one of the main draws of AT compared to the likes of Thorpe or PBB is how they are different snd unusual, and that makes them unique. If they lost that uniqueness, there would not be as much of a draw, and where would they build these recklessly big rides? They have filled all the space that they have, and they can't cut done hundreds of trees to expand, even if the restrictions were lifted.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
They are not famous for building small well considered rides. They aren't even famous for the legendary setting. They are famous for being the UK's biggest theme park. That is all.

I'd not consider them "famous around the world" at all.

EDIT: Rita proves my theory that when they don't have to make an effort, they won't. Rita, having a launch, meant that less consideration had to be put into it's layout and design. It was going to make it round the track no matter how low it was and it already had a focal point to make it exciting (the launch).

Oblivion wouldn't have been mostly underground if they didn't have to. Nemesis would not be in a pit. Air is debatable because it has a point to being slow and "small". The others, however, are not debatable. It is obvious fact of business sense.

nealbie

CF Legend
^Quite, I have a French friend who has never even heard of Alton Towers. He knows of Nemesis, but not of the park :roll: ...so it's not exactly famous like Joey says.

Mike T

Mega Poster
Regardless, with any park being located near to a residential community, you're always going to run into issues that Alton seems to face year after year after year. I can cite pleanty of instances in the United States of plans that were either shot down or altered due to similar circumstance. What's unfortunate for Alton, is that not only are the neighbors an issue (and not an alliance), but the extra restriction that comes with building in the United Kingdom - and the preserverance of the historical aspects of the park.

Do I think Secret Weapon VI is going to be approved? Absolutely. It's just going to take council a matter of knowing exactly whats happening with contruction (as they like to call - "further investigation") to finally see the bright side of it.

Alton is planning to add what could potentially be the most 'resident friendly' roller coaster yet. From the looks of it, it's going to more than meet the ceiling cap placed on the park, with no visual obstructions made to the residents, it's definitely going to be silent (technology these days makes that possible) and its going to be friendly to the existing environment of the park.

Whats interesting to me about the whole Alton vs. Residents thing is how much they go to battle. That park brings in so much for their local economy - you'd think they'd be kissing their asses for making it the most popular theme park/resort in the United Kingdom.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
^ not sure i agree. All their space is occupied by gardens or woodland and cutting it down is a big no-no. I looked at an Ariel photograph of the park and i think there is less than you'd think there.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Slash said:
Blaze said:
They don't have space for a big coaster anyway

LMAO! They have LOADS of space. They just don't use it as there isnt a need.

Not really...

Theme Parks tend to build their coasters around the outer perimeter of their ground for easy maintenance access. As it already has the service road access, and has already been built on, this is the perfect place to stick the new coaster. Look at most parks around the world, the coasters are usually around the outside of the park.

Now, you're right in saying that they have loads of room but Alton Towers doesn't really have much flexibility due to all these regulations and rules put in place by the bastard councils. So THAT's why they are trying to build on the existing construction land.

Status
Not open for further replies.