What's new

Last Cred Review

Peter Immelmann

Mega Poster
Voltron:

I visited Europa Park last week's Friday for the first time in a couple of years. The weather was fabulous, and the crowd levels were actually lower than Queue Times predicted. I had a blast, enjoying the park's great atmosphere. I'm not sure if they've improved that much over the years or if my perception has changed, but I loved the place and could easily have spent another day there.

Now, let's talk about Voltron. I was super curious to find out how it rides, having heard mixed reviews. Some people said it tracked horribly, while others gave glowing reports. In particular, Canobie Coaster's positive review and its climb to #20 on Captain Coaster raised my expectations.

Regarding the appearance, Voltron looks fantastic in real life, even better than in pictures. The Wardenclyffe Tower above the entrance building and the upwards-launched trains are stunning to look at. Also, the queue line is very well done. In particular, I adore the smart setup of the queue lines, lockers, and the single rider/regular line merge point, which allows for such smooth operation. Together with the moving station, this is such a capacity monster despite just 16 riders per train. The only drawback is that you really can't choose your row. Well, later in the day, I actually spotted a few groups of people who did pick a row, ignoring the operator's instructions, which in turn led to some confusion and eventually to an e-stop of the moving platform.

Now let me talk about the ride experience. First, let's address the elephant in the room: the ride's smoothness, or better to say its lack of it. Yes, even though some weeks have passed since opening day and much has been talked about possible adjustments, I didn't get a single ride on it that was satisfactorily smooth. Well, the inner seat was kind of okay, but still not great. However, the wing seats were very rattly—not unbearably rough, but way too rough to call it a minor issue. The thing is, this coaster offers an action-packed, dense layout, keeping up a good level of dynamic changes of g-forces throughout the course. That's quite a bit to take in on its own, but if the g-forces are messed up by constant vibration or rattle, it just blurs your ride experience and makes everything feel like a big mess

At least that's what it felt like on my first ride, which was in the right wing seat of row two in the early afternoon (I forgot to look up the train number). After that ride, I was very disappointed. However, I immediately jumped on it again as I knew this ride could be very temperamental. Unfortunately, I got row two again, but I could at least get the right inner seat this time (train 5). This was definitely smoother but still underwhelming. That's very weird as, on paper, that ride should have been great, but it just didn't deliver as I'd hoped. Somehow, the ride didn't generate that wow-feeling I'd expected, and the elements felt poorly designed and unbalanced.

Fortunately, I came back later in the day before the park closed and got one more ride on it in row one, right wing seat (train 7). This ride was equally rough as my first, and that still bothered me. However, for some reason, this ride was significantly better than the previous ones and actually fun. Not sure if it is physically possible that row one and two can feel that differently, but the forces seemed to work out much better here. The hang-time in the first loop felt right, the one in the stall felt more sustained, and so did the following airtime hill. In fact, the top-hat and wave-turn really shined and displayed what the coaster could do. Maybe it's the unobstructed view that helps your senses to unravel the mess the roughness does to the g-forces you experience? I really don't know. Definitely, this coaster raises a couple of question marks for me.

Sadly, I didn't get a fourth ride on it as the ride broke down when we were on the final brake run, and we were stuck there for quite a while. When I got off and went back to the entrance, they had just closed the queue for the day... It would have been nice to experience the back of the train as well. However, I'm happy I finally got on this highly anticipated ride.

Now, how would I rank the ride? I really don't know, as I feel like I haven't gotten a good sense of it. My first two rides definitely wouldn't have supported a spot anywhere near my top 20, while the last one would have cracked my top 20 at least. If it were smooth, though, I think it could rank quite a bit higher (and I still have to try riding in the back of the train). However, since you cannot pick a seat and since queue times at Europa usually do not allow for a ton of re-rides, this is what you get, so yeah, I am a bit disappointed after all. Funnily, the one thing that I suspected could be an issue from watching the POV, namely the break of pacing due to the turntable in the middle of the ride, didn't bother me at all. Well, sure, they could have done a bit more with the theming there, and I'd be all for it, but honestly, it's over way quicker than it feels when watching the POV.

Volt1.jpgVolt2.jpgVolt3.jpgVolt4.jpgVolt5.jpgVolt6.jpg

Dan Nguyen

Mega Poster
Went to Dutch Wonderland for the first time today. Its a charming little park for sure.

My last credit was 354. Merlin's Mayhem - It seems like everyone and their grandmother wants to copy Vekoma's Jr coasters nowadays. This ride feels like it was heavily inspired by Vekoma's Orkanen clones. Some parts have been toned down but others are a bit more wild. The helix isn't as intense and the lack of overbank is a bummer, but the ride still manages to pull some solid forces and the lapbars feel a bit more free than the Vekoma ones do. The theme is really cute too. Merlin loses his dragon and has to find him with your help. The operations are probably the slowest of the coasters in the park, which means it has the longest waits, but its well worth riding a couple times.

Joust was ok. Standard kiddie coaster fare really. The second half of the ride is a little rough

Kingdom Coaster is a solid signature attraction. There are a few pops of air here and there. Nothing significant, but its not trying to be. There is a hill halfway through that feels like its too big for its own good. The rest of the ride is fun and the buzz bars really help

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Ugh. I just drive an exhausting six hour round trip for some real bottom of the barrel regional coaster hunting. Python Pit @ Story Book Park was my #122. The coaster was a coaster and the park was a park. Cool animals though.
BB4EFC0C-F7A5-4D83-A5A4-B94CA845D3CD.jpeg

Attachments

• 9F0BB8AA-3761-42F8-8EE8-9425D4596760.jpeg
    9F0BB8AA-3761-42F8-8EE8-9425D4596760.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 141AD680-ACE7-42B1-A997-D5D3C0A15E66.jpeg
    141AD680-ACE7-42B1-A997-D5D3C0A15E66.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 073C8D30-0B11-4609-BA9A-9F5C95B894C4.jpeg
    073C8D30-0B11-4609-BA9A-9F5C95B894C4.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 4

Nitefly

Giga Poster
Having just returned from a trip to California I have many creds to comment on. I'll kick off with the one that's most demanding of commentary...

X2

Being probably the last notable 'cred type' that I had to check off the list, X2 was undoubtedly the 'bucket list coaster' of the trip.

It's been quite hard to know what to make of it pre-ride from POVs etc. All that I knew was that's old and it's supposedly very rough. From what I could tell, it doesn't look that intense, nor particularly long. Some people rate it highly and describe it as 'unhinged'. But others don't. Hmm... a real 'mystery box'!

The closer I got to it, and despite all the amusing 'DuuuDdeee x-treEmeme \o/' posters that surround the queue line, the more and more I felt a sense of creeping unease. This is an extremely intimidating ride. Everything about it seems 'wrong' and instinctively unsafe.... especially when you try to strap yourself in. Wtf is this! The restraints clamp you in horizontally rather than vertically - as if you're using the 'pec deck' machine at a gym (not that I would know because I would never admit to not using an Olympic barbell 🏋️‍♂️). There is nothing clamping you in at your waist and your legs are freely dangling. Even as a theme-park veteran, relatively speaking, I had to concede to myself, for perhaps the first time in memory, that I was actually frightened to ride a rollercoaster. Oh it's moving... too late to back out now. Great.

We were warned pre-ride (by another enthusiast guest) that the seats 'shake / wobble' out of the station and that we would be best off keeping our heads off the headrest on the pre-lift section. This turned out to be great advice because wtf-bbq is now happening right now?! The seats jank and wobble all over the place in a way that can't possibly be intentional and your head would be bashed to pieces if held backwards.

And now we were on the lift hill and the fear factor was elevated to 'brown trousers / seat / shoes' time. Hurrrgn! Wtf is this! Get me off!

The same enthusiast had also warned us, for the drop, to keep our heads firmly against the headrest and to tuck our legs in to the seat to the best of our ability... which also turned out to be good advice because WTF IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW. ARGHHHH!!!! This drop... and frankly the whole ride, is absolutely insane. Every weird spinning element had me bracing to avoid injury and making some kind of "urggghHH!!!" sound as I gritted my teeth.

This is a complete car crash of a ride; easily the most intense and frightening coaster I have ever ridden. Even on re-rides I found myself nervous on the lift hill every single time... and repeatedly making sounds of terror / discomfort on every bizarre element. I'm not surprised that I saw a rider have a full-on panic attack in the station after they disembarked. I suspect it would be 'too much' for many.

Is it rough? Yes... although unpredictably. Despite being the most sensitive sausage to coaster sickness that ever was, X2 never made me feel 'sick' and the headrest is, weirdly, perhaps the comfiest of any ride I've been on. Necessarily so, though. The final raven turn has a 'Saw-like' pothole that can deliver a devastating, potentially concussing knock to the back of your head if you don't hold your head back to the head rest (although despite my 5 rides on it, I'm still not really sure of what strategy could save you) - you have been warned! You really do have to ride this thing like you're having a car crash, it's no joke.

Is X2 actually good though? As a fan of miserable horror (!)... yes. X2 is spectacular - a janky, unhinged (I'm going to say it again...) car crash that's ominous and wild. To date, no other coaster has come close to subjecting me to the scares or forces of X2.

It's going to rank very highly for me - which brings about an interesting question: how does the order in which you experience coasters affect your judgement of them? If X2 was 'old hat' then perhaps I would be less impressed. Yet it stands out to me for being so weird and brutal, in amongst of a sea of forgettable (hyper) coasters.

...a total car crash.

Oh, and as a bonus comment: best drop in the world...? For it's raw fear factor, intensity and sheer lunacy, I'd have to give the nod to X2.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
It's going to rank very highly for me - which brings about an interesting question: how does the order in which you experience coasters affect your judgement of them? If X2 was 'old hat' then perhaps I would be less impressed. Yet it stands out to me for being so weird and brutal, in amongst of a sea of forgettable (hyper) coasters.

...a total car crash.

Oh, and as a bonus comment: best drop in the world...? For it's raw fear factor, intensity and sheer lunacy, I'd have to give the nod to X2.
Might I suggest #9? ;)

Nitefly

Giga Poster
Some other 'well thought out' Magic Mountain cred reviews (🤔) presented in spectacular ALPHABETICAL ORDER.

Batman

"I'm batmannnnnnn."

Full Throttle

It's there.

Goliath

The most fun, unnaturally smooth and orange thing since throwing Sunny D onto someone to wake them up.

New Revolution

Great to see a classic ride that still delivers the goods. I loved the suspenseful dive into the loop.

Ninja

Good - lots of fun swinging action. Makes Vampire at Chessington feel even more pointless than it does on its own merits.

Riddler's Revenge

A strong 'one and done' - easily the best stand-up coaster I've done, although presumably the only good one in existence. Warranted seeing a proctologist afterwards.

Scream

Worse than death.

Superman

'Super-****'. Didn't work.

Tatsu

Another strong 'one and done' - easily the best flying coaster I've done but it could do without the 'inversions'. Great views. In truth, the pretzel loop (🥨) was more like the 'curly loop' emoji (➰). But... imagine a ride with a 'double curly loop' (➿)! It would look a bit like glasses (👓) from the right angle and distance. Yeah.

Twisted Colossus

I didn't realise that this had a light 'steampunk' stylisation - fun!

The lack of care from both guests and ride-ops to secure a duel was maddening. If the previous rider in my seat didn't get out of the way fast enough then I assisted them with a friendly suplex / DDT - which every time resulted in a needlessly broken neck/back because the ride ops checking restraints faffed around without a care in the world. My ****ing face. I did however see it duel once, off ride, which looked very cool 🤩

There is no big bombastic standout moment on TC but it's chock full of 'RMC madness™'. I'd actually say it's gives most the tightly packed doses of quality ejector out of all of the RMCs that I've experienced. Every hill delivered airtime that was well outside the norms that you'd expect from a typical coaster - dialled towards insanity, outrageous and wild... yet on this iteration, pleasingly free of the 'pain' you might get on Twisted Timbers or Storm Chaser. Perfectly balanced.

And there's a lot of hills. Hill after hill after hill. Then... another lap! I considered this to be a pleasing break, as if I was getting to re-ride another RMC coaster without getting off the train.

Aesthetically, it also has that 'American racing coaster' vibe going for it, which I love. No 'big bad monster' here, it's just there to make you 'feel good / have a nice time'. It even handed me a corn dog on the way out. "You're my jam!" I swooned, as we walked off hand in hand into the sunset.

Viper

Also broken. Apparently this doesn't do well in hot heat.

West Coast Racers

I went on this after they (partially) cleaned some impressively chunky looking sick off the car and station. There was no car horn to press on-ride but WCR got around this by honking of vom.

Wonder Woman

'Wonder-****'. Also didn't work, also apparently because of the heat. Just how brittle are these superheroes?!

Other thoughts on Magic Mountain

More like Magma Mountain. We died. This park really puts the 'con' into 'aircon' because there ****ing isn't any*. WHY?! There is also no shade. WHY?! Seriously, this place makes ****ing Carowinds look like part of an underground civilisation. If you get desperate, we figured out that the best aircon is in the doorway of the sweet shop near WCR (yeah, we hunted for it).

*In truth, there is some aircon in their fancy sports bar restaurant - excluded from their dining plans.

The food on offer was pretty good (the nachos place by WCR is genuinely some of the best theme park food I've ever had). But the food staff here were absolutely hopeless. Truly devoid of hope - I'm talking full on 'nine of swords' despair. For example, we went to get an ice cream with our dining plan thing:

"Hey there, an ice cream please - we have the dining plan thing which gets us a meal or a snack every 90 minutes. FAT MODE!!! We can see on the menu that this ice cream counts as a snack - does that work?"
"Yeah sure" *swipes code thing* "oh... no. Hold on." *goes off to speak to manager*
"......?!"
"OK - so unfortunately no code comes up to use it as a snack, so I can't use it."
".... so even though the menu up there says it's a snack item for the pass... "
".... yes ..."
".... and our pass says it's good for a snack... "

".... yes ..."
".... we can't use it?"
"yes... there's no way of using it for a snack - there's nothing I can do." *stares blankly*
".... so what does the screen say when you scan it?"
"It says I can put it through as a meal."
"............. uh, then can you then please put it through as a meal?"
"Sure!"

o_O - I wouldn't have minded so much if this ice cream wasn't essential to keeping my brain within my skull.

Thanks for reading this quality post 🦑

Last edited:
Toboggan Nordique
Third time is a charm, I guess. First time I went for my 15th birthday, it had an hour long wait which I didn't have time for. Last time we went, it kept breaking down and we didn't get on it. So finally I got the +1. And that's all it really is, is a +1, but these models are still secretly kind of a hoot. A plus one that was nearly 17 years in the making!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Jersey Devil.
Slightly disappointed by this one to be honest. I'd ridden Railblazer about 5 years ago and loved it - shockingly good coaster that is - so I had high hopes for a longer, taller, faster version. Sadly, the main thing I took away from Jersey Devil was how rattley it was. Wouldn't call it painfully rough, but there's a very noticeable shake and shimmy throughout the entire ride. Very worrying for such a new installation.
The layout isn't as good either. I mean yes, it is longer, taller and faster than Railblazer... but it's not better.
What made Railblazer so great was its compact, tight layout and the crazy speeds at which it took those maneuvers. Jersey Devil's more conventional, elongated footprint and longer, more drawn out elements make the whole ride a lot less punchy and a lot less memorable than its smaller cousin.
Potentially still a good ride design, but unfortunately I just can't get over that rattle. Despite being a walk-on, we never bothered going round for a reride.
Underwhelming. 6/10.

 Joker.
I swore I'd never ride another one of these bloody things after the last one. Don't like 'em at all. But here we are, it was walk-on, an easy +1 and it was right there sooo.... what the hell. And besides, I couldn't let Delly P endure that horror on his own, could I? So I stepped up cos I'm a good man and a good friend.
Yeah, still sh*te. Not quite as bad as a Zacspin, I'll give you that, but still pretty horrendous. In their pathetically short ride cycle, 4D Freespins either flip too much, in which case they're gross, vom inducing and potentially painful, or they don't flip at all which is dull, boring and utterly pointless. There is no happy medium.
Awful, awful ride. Definitely not gonna ride another one, I mean it this time. 🙄
3/10.

Those were the only new-to-me creds at Six Flags Great Adventure, but we still need to talk about this magnificent pair of Intamins right here:

1000007651.jpg

I mean... just look at 'em! What an iconic duo, what a photo to share on the social meejas, just... look at 'em!
They're awesome! Bloody love 'em I do.
I first came to this park just over 10 years ago with the very specific intention of riding Kingda Ka. This was proper bucket list stuff for me. I'd just turned 40 at the time and was fed up of trying to rally my semi-goon mates together for a US road trip (this was before my CoasterForce days, remember) so, as a 40th birthday present to myself, I said bollocks to my mates and just booked it. That's what happens when you reach 40 see - you wake up one day and think "F*** me, 40! How did that happen? Time to start ticking off that list then I suppose. Number 1: Ride the world's tallest rollercoaster".
So that's what I did.
And I have to say, I though it was incredible! Sitting on that launch track waiting for it to take off was one of those true 'pinch me' moments when you ask yourself; 'Am I really here?'
And also, on this occasion; 'Am I really brave enough to do this??'
In my adult life, there's probably only been three rollercoasters that have actually frightened me. I mean, there's been a few janky old deathtraps that made me fear for my life but I'm not talking about that kind of fear, I'm talking about the kind of fear that knots your stomach, those rare occasions where something makes you think 'Holy sh*t, I'm not sure I can actually do this'. Proper, gut-wrenching, old school fear.
Number 1 - Oblivion. Not any more of course, but back in the day when it was brand new, Oblivion scared the crap out of me.
Number 2 - X2 in 2010. It's just... terrifying. Even though it's been 14 years since I rode this beast, the memory of it is still as vivid as if it was yesterday.
And Number 3 - Kingda Ka in 2014. Genuinely sh*tiing bricks, I was. At the time I hadn't ridden anything taller or faster than a B&M hyper, so to suddenly being on a ride that catapults you to 450ft in the air at 128mph was really quite the event. I can honestly say it was one of the most thrilling experiences I'd ever had. All of that fear, all that excitement, all that anticipation, suddenly released in a colossal, 30 second blast of pure adrenaline. To coin a phrase - it was everything I'd hoped for, and more.
Instant Top 10 smash. Bucket list item achieved.
Mission accomplished.

1000007773.jpg

The big question then, how is it now? I mean, that was 10 years ago, I'm a lot more experienced now and a lot more critical, have ridden a lot more coasters since then too, including Top Thrill Dragster, which objectively is a much better ride (smoother launch, lap bar restraints, better theming etc...). I can't deny that over the last decade KK has certainly slipped down the overall rankings considerably, now residing somewhere between #30 and #40. Maybe the memory of that first ride had faded slightly, maybe I'd succumbed to 10 years of mockery from you lot about how it's the weakest of the stratas, how rough it is, how the OTSR''s spoil the ride and that it's basically just a 'Big Green Penis'. For whatever reason, I'd somehow convinced myself that it wasn't as good as I remember.
Well, to hell with y'all.
Kingda Ka absolutely floored me ... again.
Went for the front row this time and I tell ya, as we slithered out of the station onto that launch track, all those memories of fear and anticipation that I experienced first time round came flooding back; 'Jesus, look at the size of that thing'. 😲
Man... that launch! I'm gonna say it, I think it's better than Dragster's. I think it's the best launch in the world. Dragster was great, but I aways felt that the launch ended kinda abruptly, that it ran out of steam just a fraction of a second too early. Kingda Ka not only has more height, it also has a significantly longer launch track, meaning the launch just keeps on pulling that little bit longer. Honestly, it's an adrenaline rush like nothing else on Earth. That's especially true now that OG Dragster is gone and Formula Rossa has been down for about 8 months (and counting). Let's also not forget that, with Falcon's Flight still a good way from opening and Formula Rossa SBNO, Kingda Ka is still the world's tallest, fastest 'operating' coaster... almost 20 years after it was built! It amazes me how so many people can dismiss that rather impressive fact so easily just because it's a 'bit rough, green and shaped like a penis'. (It's not rough, by the way. Go for the front row, smooth as you like up there).
You know what? I'm tempted to Top 10 it again. Sod the haters and the critical groupthink, this thing absolutely kicks ass. When I think back to all the best coasters I've ridden over the last 30+ years, Kingda Ka stands out as being one of the most thrilling, most satisfying and most memorable of the lot. Not just once, but on two separate visits, 10 years apart. In fact, sod it, I'm definitely gonna Top 10 it again. I think it's bloody epic, I do.
If you haven't ridden it yet, my advice would be to get yourself out there while you still have the chance. We don't know how long it will be before they either retire it or convert it into something else. Once that happens, we may never see anything quite like it again.
10/10, obviously.

And then... oh my days, and then, right next door to KK we have El Toro.

1000007794.jpg

What can you say about El Toro that hasn't already been said? Best wooden coaster in the world. It just is. I thought so in 2014 and I still think it now. It's just insanely good. This too made my Top 10 after I first rode it but unlike Kingda Ka, this has pretty much stayed there the entire time.
Very happy to report that it's still just as good as I remember and will indeed be retaining a place in the Top 10 come the end of the year.
This was also a walk-on so we managed to get plenty of rides in too, mainly concentrating on the back end of the train.
First drop is still one of the best in the world, especially at the back. Those giant camelbacks, and of course the Rolling Thunder hill, give some of the most orgasmic airtime you'll find anywhere. The pacing is relentless and it is, by any measure, an absolute visual feast. Has it gotten rough? Well... I'd definitely class it as aggressive, but that can easily be minimised by avoiding the wheel seats. I mean, the first turnaround is pretty rough wherever you sit, but on non-wheel seats the rest of the layout is actually fine and nothing like the endurance test of something like The Voyage.
Yep, no doubt about it, El Toro is my favourite wooden coaster in the world, it's my favourite Intamin coaster in the world and between it and Kingda Ka they make, in my opinion, the best one-two punch in the world.
Absolutely love 'em both. ❤️

Next post, Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

Last edited:

Hutch

Strata Poster
Jersey Devil.
Slightly disappointed by this one to be honest. I'd ridden Railblazer about 5 years ago and loved it - shockingly good coaster that is - so I had high hopes for a longer, taller, faster version. Sadly, the main thing I took away from Jersey Devil was how rattley it was. Wouldn't call it painfully rough, but there's a very noticeable shake and shimmy throughout the entire ride. Very worrying for such a new installation.
The layout isn't as good either. I mean yes, it is longer, taller and faster than Railblazer... but it's not better.
What made Railblazer so great was its compact, tight layout and the crazy speeds at which it took those maneuvers. Jersey Devil's more conventional, elongated footprint and longer, more drawn out elements make the whole ride a lot less punchy and a lot less memorable than its smaller cousin.
Potentially still a good ride design, but unfortunately I just can't get over that rattle. Despite being a walk-on, we never bothered going round for a reride.
Underwhelming. 6/10.

 Joker.
I swore I'd never ride another one of these bloody things after the last one. Don't like 'em at all. But here we are, it was walk-on, an easy +1 and it was right there sooo.... what the hell. And besides, I couldn't let Delly P endure that horror on his own, could I? So I stepped up cos I'm a good man and a good friend.
Yeah, still sh*te. Not quite as bad as a Zacspin, I'll give you that, but still pretty horrendous. In their pathetically short ride cycle, 4D Freespins either flip too much, in which case they're gross, vom inducing and potentially painful, or they don't flip at all which is dull, boring and utterly pointless. There is no happy medium.
Awful, awful ride. Definitely not gonna ride another one, I mean it this time. 🙄
3/10.

Those were the only new-to-me creds at Six Flags Great Adventure, but we still need to talk about this magnificent pair of Intamins right here:

View attachment 32669

I mean... just look at 'em! What an iconic duo, what a photo to share on the social meejas, just... look at 'em!
They're awesome! Bloody love 'em I do.
I first came to this park just over 10 years ago with the very specific intention of riding Kingda Ka. This was proper bucket list stuff for me. I'd just turned 40 at the time and was fed up of trying to rally my semi-goon mates together for a US road trip (this was before my CoasterForce days, remember) so, as a 40th birthday present to myself, I said bollocks to my mates and just booked it. That's what happens when you reach 40 see - you wake up one day and think "F*** me, 40! How did that happen? Time to start ticking off that list then I suppose. Number 1: Ride the world's tallest rollercoaster".
So that's what I did.
And I have to say, I though it was incredible! Sitting on that launch track waiting for it to take off was one of those true 'pinch me' moments when you ask yourself; 'Am I really here?'
And also, on this occasion; 'Am I really brave enough to do this??'
In my adult life, there's probably only been three rollercoasters that have actually frightened me. I mean, there's been a few janky old deathtraps that made me fear for my life but I'm not talking about that kind of fear, I'm talking about the kind of fear that knots your stomach, those rare occasions where something makes you think 'Holy sh*t, I'm not sure I can actually do this'. Proper, gut-wrenching, old school fear.
Number 1 - Oblivion. Not any more of course, but back in the day when it was brand new, Oblivion scared the crap out of me.
Number 2 - X2 in 2010. It's just... terrifying. Even though it's been 14 years since I rode this beast, the memory of it is still as vivid as if it was yesterday.
And Number 3 - Kingda Ka in 2014. Genuinely sh*tiing bricks, I was. At the time I hadn't ridden anything taller or faster than a B&M hyper, so to suddenly being on a ride that catapults you to 450ft in the air at 128mph was really quite the event. I can honestly say it was one of the most thrilling experiences I'd ever had. All of that fear, all that excitement, all that anticipation, suddenly released in a colossal, 30 second blast of pure adrenaline. To coin a phrase - it was everything I'd hoped for, and more.
Instant Top 10 smash. Bucket list item achieved.
Mission accomplished.

View attachment 32670

The big question then, how is it now? I mean, that was 10 years ago, I'm a lot more experienced now and a lot more critical, have ridden a lot more coasters since then too, including Top Thrill Dragster, which objectively is a much better ride (smoother launch, lap bar restraints, better theming etc...). I can't deny that over the last decade KK has certainly slipped down the overall rankings considerably, now residing somewhere between #30 and #40. Maybe the memory of that first ride had faded slightly, maybe I'd succumbed to 10 years of mockery from you lot about how it's the weakest of the stratas, how rough it is, how the OTSR''s spoil the ride and that it's basically just a 'Big Green Penis'. For whatever reason, I'd somehow convinced myself that it wasn't as good as I remember.
Well, to hell with y'all.
Kingda Ka absolutely floored me ... again.
Went for the front row this time and I tell ya, as we slithered out of the station onto that launch track, all those memories of fear and anticipation that I experienced first time round came flooding back; 'Jesus, look at the size of that thing'. 😲
Man... that launch! I'm gonna say it, I think it's better than Dragster's. I think it's the best launch in the world. Dragster was great, but I aways felt that the launch ended kinda abruptly, that it ran out of steam just a fraction of a second too early. Kingda Ka not only has more height, it also has a significantly longer launch track, meaning the launch just keeps on pulling that little bit longer. Honestly, it's an adrenaline rush like nothing else on Earth. That's especially true now that OG Dragster is gone and Formula Rossa has been down for about 8 months (and counting). Let's also not forget that, with Falcon's Flight still a good way from opening and Formula Rossa SBNO, Kingda Ka is still the world's tallest, fastest 'operating' coaster... almost 20 years after it was built! It amazes me how so many people can dismiss that rather impressive fact so easily just because it's a 'bit rough, green and shaped like a penis'. (It's not rough, by the way. Go for the front row, smooth as you like up there).
You know what? I'm tempted to Top 10 it again. Sod the haters and the critical groupthink, this thing absolutely kicks ass. When I think back to all the best coasters I've ridden over the last 30+ years, this thing stands out as being one of the most thrilling, most satisfying and most memorable of the lot. Not just once, but on two separate visits, 10 years apart. In fact, sod it, I'm definitely gonna Top 10 it again. I think it's bloody epic, I do.
If you haven't ridden it yet, my advice would be to get yourself out there while you still have the chance. We don't know how long it will be before they either retire it or convert it into something else. Once that happens, we may never see anything quite like it again.
10/10, obviously.

And then... oh my days, and then, right next door to KK we have El Toro.

View attachment 32675

What can you say about El Toro that hasn't already been said? Best wooden coaster in the world. It just is. I thought so in 2014 and I still think it now. It's just insanely good. This too made my Top 10 after I first rode it but unlike Kingda Ka, this has pretty much stayed there the entire time.
Very happy to report that it's still just as good as I remember and will indeed be retaining a place in the Top 10 come the end of the year.
This was also a walk-on so we managed to get plenty of rides in too, mainly concentrating on the back end of the train.
First drop is still one of the best in the world, especially at the back. Those giant camelbacks, and of course the Rolling Thunder hill, give some of the most orgasmic airtime you'll find anywhere. The pacing is relentless and it is, by any measure, an absolute visual feast. Has it gotten rough? Well... I'd definitely class it as aggressive, but that can easily be minimised by avoiding the wheel seats. I mean, the first turnaround is pretty rough wherever you sit, but on non-wheel seats the rest of the layout is actually fine and nothing like the endurance test of something like The Voyage.
Yep, no doubt about it, El Toro is my favourite wooden coaster in the world, it's my favourite Intamin coaster in the world and between it and Kingda Ka they make, in my opinion, the best one-two punch in the world.
Absolutely love 'em both. ❤️

Next post, Busch Gardens Williamsburg.
So much wrong in all of this... but glad you're able to enjoy them!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Disagree about Jersey Devil, but loving the Ka love.

It's big and it's fast innit. What more do you need? Nothing, that's what.

vaugc002

Hyper Poster
Bear with me - Hyperia (cred #186) x 4 rides

I know everyone's reviewed it by now but my thoughts for what it's worth:

8.5/10
It has to be the UK's number 1
The front row is better than the back row
It's a bit bumpier in seats nearer the back
The drop is one of the best in the world wherever you're sitting
The ending two elements run faster than expected
Theming and Fearless Valley area is subpar and quite tacky

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Busch Gardens Williamsburg:

First of all, what an absolutely gorgeous looking theme park. One of the most beautiful I've ever been to and still a firm favourite of mine.
Not my first time here, came once before just over 10 years ago but they've added a whopping 4 new creds since then so let's get into 'em.

 Pantheon.

1000006682.jpg

Overall a bit disappointing to be honest. Don't get me wrong, it has some fantastic elements, but it also has some duff ones too and the coaster just didn't really work for me as a whole.
Everything up until the swing launch is just filler. Mild little shove to get you going, slow hangy bit, some weird wibbly stuff ... I don't get it. Why bother? Waste of valuable track. Just get straight to the good stuff, man.
Wasn't that impressed with the swing launch either. Felt 'bitty', disjointed, not fluid. Again... I don't get it. I don't get why you'd chop a launch in half, stick a hump in the middle and then have the train traverse it 3 times. To me, it doesn't make sense. Just have one, good launch powerful enough to get the job done first time round (see Kingda Ka 😉). If it's a long layout, fine, throw in a rolling launch halfway through (see Taron). If you insist on having a swing launch as a selling point, fine, just stick it at the start of the ride and cut out all of that pointless faff at the beginning (see Icebreaker).
After such a long-winded start to the ride, the actual 'good' bit - which in my opinion is from the top hat onwards - seems all too brief and ends rather abruptly, leaving me feeling a little bit shortchanged. 'Is that it?' I thought. Plus, the station and queue line are very sparse and the ride itself is just kinda plonked in a field. Very un-Busch Gardens like. All the other coasters here wind there way gracefully through lush green forestry, but not Pantheon. Looks unfinished.
On the plus side though, the backwards spike is undeniably very cool, the drop off the top hat is excellent, the big outerbank turn is almost as good as the one on Kondaa (but not quite) and the stall is absolutely delicious. 👌
Imma give it a 7/10. I enjoyed it, but a new, Intamin, multi-launch thrill coaster should be the best cred in this park by a country mile but frankly, it just isn't. I'd take the B&M's over Pantheon any day, possibly even Verbolten too.
In the interest of fairness, I should also point out that other members of the group rated Pantheon a lot higher than I did, so don't necessarily take what I say as gospel.

 DarKoaster.

1000006650.jpg

Yeah cos what BGW really needed was a multi-launch coaster... to go with the 3 they already have. 😁
But it's ok, it's different enough from the others to feel like its own ride and it's actually quite a lot of fun. Decent launches, good length and pretty nippy for a family ride. Capacity isn't great though and the operations are a bit slow so it's a good one to get out the way early on as hefty queues can build up quite quickly. Some extra theming, lighting and sound effects wouldn't have gone amiss either, one or two dark, empty spots on the layout but overall a very solid filler attraction. 7/10.

On a spooky sidenote, @jayjay rode DarKoaster sat next to, what appears to be, a mannequin:
😱
1000006649.jpg

 Tempesto.
Do you like Premier Skyrockets? Well Tempesto is one of those. Exactly the same as Tigris at BGT, so if you liked that, you'll like this. Personally I feel that mid-tier, low capacity, cloned coasters have no place at the Busch Gardens parks but thankfully, I do quite like these Skyrocket II models. Not a massive fan of the slow, hangy bit at the top but apart from that these are generally fun rides. 7/10.

 InvadR.
S'alright. In the grand scheme of GCI woodies this is definitely one of the weaker ones. It carries a decent amount of speed but there's no real airtime to speak of, no big drops and not really any standout moments. It was also surprisingly rough for a coaster with very mild forces. But still, it looks quite nice and it works ok as a filler attraction. 6/10.

So that's 4 new coasters in 10 years, none of them getting a Howie score of more than 7/10. You could view that as a slight disappointment but it didn't matter. For me, the stars of the show here are still the two mighty B&M's in the middle.

1000006654.jpg

1000006670.jpg

1000006661.jpg

Griffon was and still is my favourite dive coaster. It's just so... huge! This is the kinda thing that B&M do best - big, imposing, beautiful, crowd pleasing capacity monsters, and I'm totally here for it.
Between it and Alpengeist they make one of the most visually stunning, two-coaster combos in the world I reckon, up there with Shambhala/Dragon Khan and Kingda Ka/El Toro. Just the way they tower over the surrounding trees, visible from anywhere in the park, so many different angles to get great pictures from.
I love Alpengeist too, it really is a magnificent beast, definitely a top-tier invert for me. Yes, it's true that the MCBR is a major buzz kill, bringing the coaster to a virtual crawl the way it does, but the first half of the ride alone is just so enormous, fast-paced and powerful that I can forgive it for its flaws. And again, just look at it!

1000006652.jpg

Shout outs to Verbolten and Apollo's Chariot.
Verbolten is the ride that Th13teen should have been, I like it a lot, and Apollo's Chariot proved to be a surprise hit on the day too. Typically considered to be low to mid-tier B&M hyper but when Pantheon broke down about half an hour before park close, denying us of our final night rides, Apollo came to the rescue and provided us with 3 consecutive, back row rides which were absolutely delightful. Hurtling through the valley in the darkness was a mighty fine way to end a brilliant day. It's amazing how the right circumstances and perfect riding cinditions can really elevate your opinion of a rollercoaster. Lovely stuff.

Great day. Really great park. I think we all agreed that it was probably the best theme park of the trip so far and personally, I like it more than Busch Gardens Tampa, despite the Florida park having that rather splendid RMC in its arsenal.

Here is a picture of the 7 of us in front of the BGW sign.

1000008062.jpg

Last edited: