What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

rob666

Hyper Poster
The more I see of this coaster, the less length becomes an issue. It’s short a punchy like the rest of Thorpe's coasters and they still manage to deliver - fits their portfolio. Would find it odd to have a park full of 2000 to just below 3000 ft long coasters bar Stealth and then an extremely lengthy one.

I’m sure Exodus will leave most of us speechless after the first drop until that brake run. It’s back to back insane elements. I genuinely cannot wait myself. I never thought we’d see anything like this in the UK.

All I ask of Thorpe now is a Colossus & Inferno repaint for the 2023 season. Get them looking fresh before the new coaster but time will tell.
You mean like the Smiler at Alton?
One long coaster in a park of short ones?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Do we know the actual track length yet? As short as this ride appears to be, I suspect that it's still in with a shout at being Thorpe's longest coaster. Colossus is the current longest with 2788ft of track. I reckon Exodus could easily be getting on for the 3000ft mark.
Surely someone here <cough>Matt N <cough> can make an estimate of the track length based on the renderings so far?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Do we know the actual track length yet? As short as this ride appears to be, I suspect that it's still in with a shout at being Thorpe's longest coaster. Colossus is the current longest with 2788ft of track. I reckon Exodus could easily be getting on for the 3000ft mark.
Surely someone here <cough>Matt N <cough> can make an estimate of the track length based on the renderings so far?
My guess it will be around the 1km mark, but I could defo see it being less. However, I'm confident it will be the park's longest coaster just because of how large scale it is.

EDIT:- I've just asked a bunch of YouTubers who made NL2 pre-creations of the coaster what the track length of their coaster is. The average should be a pretty good indication of the coaster's true track length.

Last edited:

Melons

Roller Poster
Long coasters are never a negative.
Is that true? Like I can totally understand why you'd say that, but some coasters just have extra length that actually doesn't add anything to the experience. I feel a good ride needs to maintain a tempo throughout that keeps the adrenaline pumping, hence why people don't like long pieces of straight track or an MCBR that stops the train. Exodus is high tempo, it just hits element after element then ends without meandering aimlessly.

For example, I love the smiler but I can't help but feel it is the same ride twice, its long only for the inversion record and I don't feel it necessarily makes it all that much better?

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Is that true? Like I can totally understand why you'd say that, but some coasters just have extra length that actually doesn't add anything to the experience. I feel a good ride needs to maintain a tempo throughout that keeps the adrenaline pumping, hence why people don't like long pieces of straight track or an MCBR that stops the train. Exodus is high tempo, it just hits element after element then ends without meandering aimlessly.

For example, I love the smiler but I can't help but feel it is the same ride twice, its long only for the inversion record and I don't feel it necessarily makes it all that much better?
Tbf it's not a dig specifically at Exodus. I'm pretty hyped for it. Skyrush is my number 2 coaster but that is an exception as I usually prefer longer rides.

I'm not a huge fan of Smiler but I'd say duration is the best thing about it. Also Twisted Colossus - does near enough the same thing twice but does it very well. The second lift hill is brilliant and builds the excitement for another lap.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
I think as long as all the elements pop then i'm sure it'll be the best coaster in the UK. Length is great, but a lot of long rides have 'excess fat' sections where you have pointless turns or elements with no forces. I do believe sometimes we enthusiasts get a bet nitpicky- Orion for example, sure it could be longer. Ride it for what it is, not for what it isn't.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
But then you don't think of a Dive Machine as "getting a hyper" do you?
That's precisely the point, isn't it? Dive Machines are as tall as Hypers, but they are a different ride type altogether. If you're looking for a Hyper in Exodus, you will be disappointed. If you're thinking of it as a type of dive coaster - a tall coaster with fewer, bigger elements, it delivers at par, I'd say.

Gazza

Giga Poster
For me its more akin to a big multi looper like Steel Curtain, which is is a good addition in its own right.

And this thing will be a behemoth. When i see the support structures and compare it to the non inverted loop on DC Rivals (Which is pretty big in its own right) you can see how massive it will be.

But its not really the traditional hyper UK Thoosies have been clamouring for.
If it had done another lap with a couple more hills and perhaps a high speed roll like that new Mack launcher in China it would have been proper top 10 material worldwide.
The length is a bit of a downer for me, for example I felt Swarm was a bit truncated feeling too.
DC Rivals is 1400m/4600 ft long which actually is quite bang on, decent length but doesn't lose speed at the end.

Would find it odd to have a park full of 2000 to just below 3000 ft long coasters bar Stealth and then an extremely lengthy one.
I think thats being a bit of an apologist. Plenty of parks have a long one amongst several average ones.

Short coasters arent really a problem IMO, so long as the whole thing feels balanced.
So for example Saw, Colossus and Inferno feel quite proportional to their height and would be at home anywhere.

But then you get Stealth which is just a yeet machine and nothing else, then Swarm, the wing coaster with 4 elements after the drop and a bend on the brake run.
And this.

They all feel a bit like a certain milestone was trying to be hit and the flow of the rides suffers.

Last edited:

spicy

Giga Poster
I don't think the ride length is such an issue. One of the main complaints in the wicker man construction thread was the length of it.

Wicker man was/still is hugely popular and the ride length now barely gets mentioned and this is going to be longer than that.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
I don't think the ride length is such an issue. One of the main complaints in the wicker man construction thread was the length of it.

Wicker man was/still is hugely popular and the ride length now barely gets mentioned and this is going to be longer than that.

I’m not sure I fully agree with this, the length of Wicker Man is mentioned all the time, it’s my main reason why I don’t really rate it and for a lot of my friends outside of the coaster community too.

Sandman

Giga Poster

Whilst I partly agree, I think the contentious point is that it's short lived for the height.

Wickerman is fairly short, but I guess it kinda peters out naturally. It's not a huge ride.

This will likely come smoking into the brake run.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

Based off some very crude calculations, and some recreations made, I'm expecting the length to be somewhere 2900-3300ft.

To give some perspective to those who don't measure in ft...
That's 884-1006m.
Or 4.39-5 furlongs.
Or 0.47-0.54 nautical miles.
Or 0.16-0.18 nautical leagues.
Alternatively, some may find it useful to know that it will be roughly 6,960,000-7,920,000 Mickeys

In short (pun?), it will be the longest coaster on park.

StevenX

Roller Poster
I don't see Wicker Man as a particularly short ride, moreso when compared with the other Alton coasters. I've not looked up the stats but it feels like the most complete and longest ride in the park other than The Smiler. I mean, it's surely longer than at least Rita and Oblivion, and probably Nemesis too?

Niles

Giga Poster
So for Merlin I guess it’s a big coaster, from this Recreation it comes in as their 5th biggest coaster they have, here is their top 10 ( I think )

4409ft Colossus-heide
3838ft Smiler
3264ft Mammut
3248ft Bobbahn
3133ft Exodus
2788ft Colossus-TP
2755ft Galactica
2608ft Wicker man
2543ft Swarm
2532ft Damonen

Quite interesting, I like that there is the bobsleigh in 4th and wicker man a coaster that is “small” is the 8th biggest coaster in all their parks 😅