What's new

Music Recommendations

Ooh, will do! Thanks for the recommendation :)

Back on the subject of Christmas Metal, Raised By Owls just released a death metal cover of Feed The World featuring loads of guest vocalists like the dude from Party Canon and Embodiment. It's hilarious!

About 10 seconds too late for me. Literally just shared this on Facebook ?

So great to see so many bands I listen too and a couple of friends in there too though! Amazing stuff! Raised by Owls always put out "top quality content" ?

Last edited:

Will

Strata Poster
Ever wondered what Iron Maiden would sound like if they were from Botswana?

Now you know :)

I've also recently got into Marillion, probably about 10 years after I should have done!

(I currently have a rather tedious data entry job, with the advantage that I can spend most of the day plugged into Spotify!)

Rock_N_RollBob

Roller Poster
Perfect opportunity for a 2 topic answer! My wife and I did an Orlando trip around 2002 ish...I bought Steel Pulse True Democracy before I left, hearing one of the singles on the indy station, and I liked how it stuck with me.

So we go through all the stuff, go out of our way to get super baked - and pop into this convertible rental, and put this cassette on. Steel Pulse will always be linked to roller coasters, for me. It's a decent album, for sure. Polished reggae, sort of.

opivy028

Mega Poster
For anybody that likes intense music (e.g., hardcore, metal, punk), my favorite band The Armed is putting out a new record. They f***ing rip and make music that will challenge and surprise you and I adore them. No judgment if they're not your thing, but their songs will grow on you if you give them a few listens. The first two singles have videos, see below:

Will

Strata Poster
As a fan of slightly over-the-top theatrical metal, Ice Nine Kills' latest album has become a new guilty pleasure (though I admit it they could do with less of the Fall Out Boy-esque clean vocals) - otherwise, it's almost like having a full album of A7X's Little Piece of Heaven.

I feel like @nadroJ would definitely have appreciated this in her younger years!

[media]

Will

Strata Poster
I don't think any of us deserve that haha!
It's particularly the last track that led me to that comparison, it has a slightly silly circus march theme to it.
As you've probably worked out, each track is based on a classic horror/gothic film, which is why I couldn't resist sending it in your direction!

(The Edward Scissorhands/Crow/American Werewolf tracks are my favourites, but the chorus from The Jig is Up is a ridiculous earworm which has been in my head all day...)

nadroJ

CF Legend
It's particularly the last track that led me to that comparison, it has a slightly silly circus march theme to it.
As you've probably worked out, each track is based on a classic horror/gothic film, which is why I couldn't resist sending it in your direction!

(The Edward Scissorhands/Crow/American Werewolf tracks are my favourites, but the chorus from The Jig is Up is a ridiculous earworm which has been in my head all day...)

That Savages music video is just so great I love it XD And how odd something like this hasn't been done before seeing how synonymous horror movies and metal are...

Added to my list of new things I need to pay attention to. I miss my commute...

Will

Strata Poster
That Savages music video is just so great I love it XD ...
Haha, thought you might - and couldn't think of anyone else who would (Whilst Borg likes a racket while doing uni work, he's as set in his ways as ever and won't even listen to post-2012 Dream Theater!). As you can tell from my signature, I've had it on something of a loop!

In other music news, there's a new Atreyu album in June - the first without frontman Alex Varkatzas who to my mind has been steadily running out of ideas for 15 years, which is why we've ended up with rubbish like Do You Know Who You Are? and the dreaded I Would Kill/Lie/Die For You I'm intrigued to know how that turns out. As far as the singles go, Underrated is good and Warrior isn't.

I wouldn't go out of my way to check out Seventh Wonder's latest - Victorious is cheesy as a Domino's click and collect and the rest is a bit samey and dull.

This also inspired me to listen to Protest the Hero's latest earlier today and while it's no Fortress or Kezia, it's still worth a play. I could live without the Propaghandi-esque political preachiness of tracks like The Canary and Rivet though - the same issue I have with recent Machine Head releases. Come back Da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da, all is forgiven! I'm also fairly sure Soliloquy namechecks my late cat.

Finally, Nothing More are good and Finland's Eurovision entry wouldn't be out of place on a Europa Park Horror Nights soundtrack.

...and no, I've not gone into Rob Gordon mode, I just have far too much time on my hands at the moment :D

Last edited:

nadroJ

CF Legend
So I've recently decided to put actual effort into listening to new (well, for me anyway) music instead of listening to the same 20 tracks from 2007 over and over again. So here's some things I've been enjoying recently:

I'm obsessed with Pale Waves. They manage to sound 90s yet modern at the same time - kind of like Avril Lavigne grew up and realised she was gay.

Been a fan of Enter Shikari since day dot, and actually listened to this album for the first time when it was released last year but only recently really got stuck in. Nothing Is True & Everything Is Possible is equal parts dystopian nightmare but ridiculously uplifting and hopeful - pandemic music if ever there was such a genre.

Architects new album For Those That Wish To Exist - for when the above is getting a little too sickly sweet and I need something a little grittier to bring me back down to earth.

Believe this is what the kids call a 'bop'. Just...so, so energetic and happy. Put on when I feel like having a bounce around the room.

Will

Strata Poster
The bass-player from Pale Waves is the brother of my best friend's ex-housemate. How's that for tenuous :)

Still sounds like something B*Witched left on the cutting room floor though. I've had a genuinely pained expression on my face for the last 3 minutes :p

I remember disliking Architects a decade ago but I'll give them another try.

(OK, I'll allow @Howie to call me a snob now :D - I quite enjoyed your silly song but will admit I've never seen the film!)

Last edited:

opivy028

Mega Poster
Heyyy here’s a fairly cinematic music video that also draws inspiration from metal gear solid (including an appearance by David Hayter who voiced solid snake), and it’s another one from the Armed. The video also contains references to other music videos from Metz and Converge, and it’s also just rad

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I've also recently got into Marillion, probably about 10 years after I should have done!

Sigh... It was bound to happen eventually :D I quite like Marillion, but it's all a bit up its own bum.

Architects new album For Those That Wish To Exist - for when the above is getting a little too sickly sweet and I need something a little grittier to bring me back down to earth.

I like that. I need a new something that's a bit heavy and mildly cheesy to listen to while I'm working.

Being in a house of Alexas, I've signed up for Amazon Music Unlimited. I'm also working from home 90% of the time - so I'm listening to more "fresh" music than I have for years. I love the "Your Soundtrack" bollocks. It tries to work out what you like but your listening habits and mostly fails miserably, but every so often it comes up with some gems. I don't think there are many people who would naturally DJ up Pharell WIlliams after Megadeth - but Amazon music doesn't see why not if Pharell is paying them enough to slip in the odd song here and there :D

Anyway, I know it's been mentioned somewhere ont he site, but I discovered Woodkid a couple of years ago. He appeals to my sense of "big sound" and slightly odd sound. It also helps I used to be in brass and marching bands, so there's something in the "Brassed Off" thing going on that appeals :)

His latest album is much more of a standard faire, slowing down - being a bit more chilled and hymn-like. It's a change that Nick Cave made that wasn't a bad move. @Will - Try some Nick Cave, that's the next evolutionary musical track from Marillion :)

Anyway, I like it. It's less impactful, but still has a catch for me.

This led Amazon to then feed me Gary Numan. Now, I know of Gary Numan from the early 80's. I thought he was dead, or in the new wave of oldsters cashing in, touring in "Best of the 80's" one night specials at your local castle or park.

Turns out, he influenced Depeche Mode, who influenced Nine Inch Nails, who in turn influenced... Gary Numan... As Depeche Mode and Nine Inch Nails (until their last couple of albums a piece) are two of my all-time top favourite artists, I thought I'd listen. You know what? It's an okay pale imitation of Nine Inch Nails :D

And that then led to this:

I've since listened to a few "Nothing But Thieves" albums and found them a bit bland and middling, but I love this track.

Then, to end it all, I've recently re-discovered Talking Heads. I always liked their stuff as I was growing up, and I appreciate it much more now for the subtle cleverness of a lot of their tracks, but also just how different and breakout it was.

They even did lovely happy pop stuff that will please @Howie

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
Then, to end it all, I've recently re-discovered Talking Heads. I always liked their stuff as I was growing up, and I appreciate it much more now for the subtle cleverness of a lot of their tracks, but also just how different and breakout it was.
If you like Talking Heads I'd recommend the concert film David Byrne's American Utopia. 'S really good.

Directed by none other than Spike Lee. I don't normally have much time for his films but he knocked it out of the park with this one.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
So I've recently decided to put actual effort into listening to new (well, for me anyway) music instead of listening to the same 20 tracks from 2007 over and over again. So here's some things I've been enjoying recently:

*LOTS OF WORDS AND VIDEOS*
I always find it interesting how people end up in the same place considering the angle they take to get to that place.

Throughout my college years I pretty much only listened to dubstep & garage, but that lead to me listening to things like Modestep & pendulum, and fox stevenson back in his really early days (see - Fox Stevenson, sandblast)

Despite various groups I hung out with listening to everything from drill to death-core, I never really strayed too far from these genres until I moved to Germany for a bit and for some reason really got into dnb there.

Fast forward to last year and I realise music I used to love, the likes of Linkin Park, Slipknot, Green Day, BMTH et al through to lowsteppa, redlight and even bogan aussie bands like the chats, I had completely neglected; rediscovering all of these amazing bits of music was like spending months of just leaving my ears in an unlimited pick n mix. I only discovered Shikari through a remix album. Pale waves gets tweeted about a lot and I'd never normally pick it myself but their recent releases have been fab too! And the rest have just been suggested by pals.

Gully underground dance tracks will always be front and centre for me and I'll take a sweaty rave over a live show every day of the week, but I find it funny that only in the last year or so I've found myself listening to literally all those artists you've posted in an effort to just appreciate more music more.

If you enjoy Fox but fancy something more rock inspired, I really recommend Muzz, (obvs pendulum), andToronto is Broken!
But if I had to recommend just 1 thing, it would be
Modestep - London Road.
It's got every sound you could possibly want on an album all wrapped up perfectly. The band themselves have now partially split up and do really headache inducing dubstep stuff these days, but this album is probably my personal favourite body of music ever, because it encapsulates all the kinda sounds I enjoy and grew up with. Couldn't recommend it enough to anyone!

Last edited:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
If you like Talking Heads I'd recommend the concert film David Byrne's American Utopia. 'S really good.

Directed by none other than Spike Lee. I don't normally have much time for his films but he knocked it out of the park with this one.

I'd like to (if I can find anywhere streaming it for free in the UK :) ) - but, also not. I think David Byrnes is a bit of a dick - or he certainly used to be.

James F

Hyper Poster
If anyone is into Hardcore/metalcore I'd recommend the bands Knocked Loose and Gideon. Knocked Loose have some sick breakdowns and have been playing with some death and groove metal influences recently.

I've also been listening to kittie recently, I love Nu Metal and they play the more heavy side of it.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk