What's new

Nostalgic Love for not very good rides?

Snoo

The Legend
HEY!

So.. what rides out there do you have an extreme personal attachment to that, OBJECTIVELY or in the eyes of the community, are not that good of a ride in comparison to the better rides out there? I'm talking either small stuff or major attractions that have faded over time.

I have two that come to mind:

Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain at Indiana Beach
Ravine Flyer 2 at Waldameer

LOSCUM is a smaller ride that is enormously unique and I LOVE.. but is not great by any sense of the imagination. You won't see it ranked in mine but those who trash it I get defensive. RFII, on the other hand, WAS a great ride and still remains so IMO but objectively it should have dropped in the years given it's competition. It's holding on for dear life at the tail end of my Top 10 though!

So lets hear em!

James F

Hyper Poster
In the eyes of the community, coasters such as Rock N Roller Coaster and Sheikra aren't ranked that highly, but they are some of my personal favourites, despite their lacking of airtime or much intensity.

My favourite ride of all is not a coaster at all: Splash Mountain.

Perhaps not looked down on, I think most of us would agree it's one of the best Log Flumes around, but for me I've had such great memories associated with that ride, that it's become my favourite.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Flamingoland as a whole for me. Park itself isn't fantastic but I used to holiday in their caravan park every easter so almost grew up with the park. Haven't been since they built Hero so need to go back at some point.

Edward M

Strata Poster
In the eyes of the community, coasters such as Rock N Roller Coaster and Sheikra aren't ranked that highly, but they are some of my personal favourites, despite their lacking of airtime or much intensity.

My favourite ride of all is not a coaster at all: Splash Mountain.

Perhaps not looked down on, I think most of us would agree it's one of the best Log Flumes around, but for me I've had such great memories associated with that ride, that it's become my favourite.

My favorite as well because I needed a laughin’ place at that time.

I’d say Space Mountain’s position in my top 20 is probably more nostalgia than objective quality, same with lots of Disney coasters. Raging Spirits in particular is pretty bad but I love it. Elsewhere, Disaster Transport holds some place in my heart for both kitsch and nostalgia reasons.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Got to be The Antelope at Gulliver's, Warrington. It was my childhood introduction to coasters and much as it's a rattly, slow ordeal now, the memories are just too good.

Worth mentioning Vampire too. I never really liked it that much but back when GhosterForce used to be Thorpe Park and Chessington, the end of the day was always glowsticks, shouting match on Black Buccaneer, and finally Vampire at night. Even if the ride was awful, the main emotion was about how amazing the weekend was.

James F

Hyper Poster
Got to be The Antelope at Gulliver's, Warrington. It was my childhood introduction to coasters and much as it's a rattly, slow ordeal now, the memories are just too good.

Worth mentioning Vampire too. I never really liked it that much but back when GhosterForce used to be Thorpe Park and Chessington, the end of the day was always glowsticks, shouting match on Black Buccaneer, and finally Vampire at night. Even if the ride was awful, the main emotion was about how amazing the weekend was.
Same for me, as a child I used to go to Gullivers just to ride the Antolope all day.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

Pear

Strata Poster
I have a lot of nostalgia for Boulder Dash even though the current state of both the ride and the park is not very good.

X: Uknown

Mega Poster
High Speed Thrill Coaster. My first ever coaster. Scared me silly and I wish I could ride it one more time.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Another one for Antelope - my first woodie, and 8 year old me really enjoyed it, taking me by surprise and just feeling really 'out there'.

I also had a soft spot for X:\ No Way Out at Thorpe. My first 1.4m ride, and I really grew to love the WTF value of it.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Cobra at La Ronde was my first Stand-Up coaster (back in 08', time flies), and first Giovanola/Intamin ride for that matter. At the time the position did not really bother me, and I was sad to see this pre-B&M relic go, even though the experience pales in comparison with current stuff.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Magnum XL 200. It seems like a lot of people are either disappointed by it or they just generally don't think it's good. I grew up with it though - it was one of the first roller coasters I rode. I don't mind that it shimmies a bit and has triangular hills at all. Plus, I can almost always count on it being a walk on, and if there is a wait, it moves quickly.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Steel Phantom - The headbanging was a killer on it, but the ride as a whole was just pure fun for me, plus it was my first "Hyper" coaster (could it be counted as a hyper due to the 2nd drop?)

Villain from SFO/SFWoA/GL - I get so much flack for loving it, but the memories keep it so high for me.

Magnum XL 200 - The ride doesnt really give too much of a lasting impression compared to rides nowadays, but when I rode it in August it made me remember just how thrilling those airtime hills on the return run are.

Twister @ Knoebles - Its better than Phoenix no matter what anybody says :3

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Pear

Strata Poster
Magnum XL 200. It seems like a lot of people are either disappointed by it or they just generally don't think it's good. I grew up with it though - it was one of the first roller coasters I rode. I don't mind that it shimmies a bit and has triangular hills at all. Plus, I can almost always count on it being a walk on, and if there is a wait, it moves quickly.
Magnum is AMAZING! Easily my 2nd favorite at Cedar Point.

Magnum trimless with a 1 click restraint is probably the most terrified I've ever been on a coaster.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Colossus at Thorpe.

Back when Thorpe had only Flying Fish and X:/NWO, a 10 inversion coaster was an effing big deal. I remember seeing the construction fences go up with the advertising and the construction updates throughout the closed season - a very exciting time for Thorpe Park.

Get some new restraints on it and it's the best coaster there today IMO.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
G-Force. Whilst I wouldn't say my love for it is overwhelming, because it's the only major coaster I actually dislike the experience of, it was my first inverting coaster and the 'biggest' thing I'd been on before that was probably Big Thunder Mountain at DLP or one of the Blackpool woodies. So yeah, I hope the rumours of it being removed from the park aren't true, even if it is ****.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Quantum at Thorpe Park. You see, back in the 80's, Alton Towers had one just like it called The Magic Carpet. It was one of the first rides I went on during my first ever visit and I loved it! It was only there for 2 or 3 seasons before it went off travelling, the last time I saw it was at M&D's in Scotland but that was probably 10 years ago now, don't know if it's still there.
Lots of people remember the similar but much bigger '1001 Nights', but because it was so big the speed of rotation was much slower and you didn't get the airtime of the Magic Carpet. Imagine my delight then when Thorpe Park bought an identical one in 2003 (as well as a B&M inverted coaster, no less!)
Yeah, whenever I'm at Thorpe I always try to squeeze in a rip on Quantum.

Last edited:

davidm

Strata Poster
^ could have sworn someone came off that Magic Carpet ride (in a non-approved way) when it was at Alton, but then I'd have been a silly teenager at the time so could just be my silly-teenager imagination playing tricks on me. Can't find anything quickly on-line that confirms it, so hmmmm?

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
Disaster Transport! I LOVED this ride! It was just so cool as a kid how the train went along a bobsled track, and the queue and station were so cool too (even if I never saw the full queue in person)! There's just so much about it that I have nostalgia for, but I was certainly devastated when it was closing.

Also, for some reason, I have nostalgia for Demon Drop (which may have been great), even though I never rode it. I remember crying when I found out it was closing, because I had never gotten a chance before it was relocated to Dorney Park! I really hope I get to ride it someday.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^ could have sworn someone came off that Magic Carpet ride (in a non-approved way) when it was at Alton, but then I'd have been a silly teenager at the time so could just be my silly-teenager imagination playing tricks on me. Can't find anything quickly on-line that confirms it, so hmmmm?

I don't recall any incidents, but I wouldn't have even been a teenager at the time, 11 or 12 maybe.. so who knows?
Apparently it is still at M&D's though;
https://scotlandsthemepark.com/ride/magic_carpet/#.W-WkPhmnw0N

Fun fact: The manufacturers plate in the control booth still has 'Alton Towers' written on it.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Quantum at Thorpe Park. You see, back in the 80's, Alton Towers had one just like it called The Magic Carpet. It was one of the first rides I went on during my first ever visit and I loved it! It was only there for 2 or 3 seasons before it went off travelling, the last time I saw it was at M&D's in Scotland but that was probably 10 years ago now, don't know if it's still there.
Lots of people remember the similar but much bigger '1001 Nights', but because it was so big the speed of rotation was much slower and you didn't get the airtime of the Magic Carpet. Imagine my delight then when Thorpe Park bought an identical one in 2003 (as well as a B&M inverted coaster, no less!)
Yeah, whenever I'm at Thorpe I always try to squeeze in a rip on Quantum.
I'd love to have had a go on 1001 Nights. It looked absolutely massive.

Must have been good fun even if not very intense.