What's new

Hersheypark | Chocolatetown | 2019/2020 Park Expansion

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Me likey.
This place has been on the bucket list for a while now, but was waiting for their next big coaster before making any concrete plans. Boom - job done! That is literally my big 2020 trip sorted. :)
If you're serious let me know when you're heading out. Hershey is a long but reasonable day trip for me.

That said this seems like a wonderful announcement. While i wish we had all the information i think it's a pretty brilliant move to trickle out the information every few months. Keeps us invested in what's going on and talking about the park for the next year and change.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
If you're serious let me know when you're heading out. Hershey is a long but reasonable day trip for me.

I am serious young Sir, and I sure will. :)
The New England - Pennsylvania cred run is one I've had mapped out in my head for ages now, this is the perfect excuse to put it into action. Of course, that could all change if Dollywood or Kings Island pull a giga out of their ass in the same year, but for now at least Hershey is as good as confirmed.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
The thing is, nobody can argue against the fact that a B&M Hypercoaster provides a FAR different experience to an Intamin Hyper, let alone Skyrush. The only tall part of Skyrush is the lift hill, the rest is low to the ground. The B&M is going to absolutely dominate the skyline. The general public are really not going to care that the park has two "hypercoasters" (let alone know what that means). And they certainly arn't going to turn around and say "man that was basically the same thing as Skyrush, what a bad investment for the park this was". A park could have two different B&M hypercoasters and I'd still ride both and be happy with them tbh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not me. When?

In the video, as they're showing off the fountain, and you first see the train pass, as it zooms past you, it's not even anywhere near the track.

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
Now your minuscule post are even more dwarfed, this time by your massive signature. And, site your image sources.
Back on topic.. I really like the look of that turnaround, and I've realized what it reminds me of... the RMC Raptors! Except this one has outward banking?! That's surprising from B&M!

Ethan

Strata Poster
Now your minuscule post are even more dwarfed, this time by your massive signature.
I love how it says "my quotes" like he's promoting his personal brand.

And yeah, ATI, even if we didn't have confirmation that it's not a hyper, that layout just wouldn't be a giga.

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
I personally think that the layout more resembles traditional B&M hyper than giga. Also, I might be completely missing something here, but why would the park file a 220ft height waiver and then build an attraction 80ft or more taller? Surely it wouldn't be allowed, but I'll admit that I know very little about that type of thing.

Also, the only hyper-style giga coaster (not sure if that's the right name for it or not) that I know of is Steel Dragon 2000, which was manufactured by Morgan and apparently cost a lot of money (I heard $52millionUSD/around £40million somewhere.)

But I'm open to surprises! Besides, I'm sure this will be an outstanding ride even if it doesn't claim any Pennsylvania records; size isn't everything, in my opinion!
That is due to the fact since Japan is in an Earthprime area, they needed to use heavier steel, skyrocketing the overall price

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
That is due to the fact since Japan is in an Earthprime area, they needed to use heavier steel, skyrocketing the overall price

Heavier steel? There's no such thing. No matter which alloy, steel has a density of 0.284 lb/in^3. Does Steel Dragon 2000 have more supports than it would in a different region? I'd imagine so - it has quite a dense support structure. Do all of the components have a thicker wall thickness? I would not be surprised at all. By heavier, you mean there's just more steel.

Matt N

CF Legend
Heavier steel? There's no such thing. No matter which alloy, steel has a density of 0.284 lb/in^3. Does Steel Dragon 2000 have more supports than it would in a different region? I'd imagine so - it has quite a dense support structure. Do all of the components have a thicker wall thickness? I would not be surprised at all. By heavier, you mean there's just more steel.
Ah right, thanks guys!

bob_3_

Giga Poster
The thing is, nobody can argue against the fact that a B&M Hypercoaster provides a FAR different experience to an Intamin Hyper, let alone Skyrush. The only tall part of Skyrush is the lift hill, the rest is low to the ground. The B&M is going to absolutely dominate the skyline. The general public are really not going to care that the park has two "hypercoasters" (let alone know what that means). And they certainly arn't going to turn around and say "man that was basically the same thing as Skyrush, what a bad investment for the park this was". A park could have two different B&M hypercoasters and I'd still ride both and be happy with them tbh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah agreed, they're both different experiences.

Skyrush I even put in a different sub-catagory from most hypers. It's actually a really bizzare ride the more I think about it. It's got that "intamin figure 8" layout they were fixated on for a while without a launch (Rita, formula rossa fall into this). Those unique trains. The height of the elements compared to the rest of the ride. How short the actual ride is! It's design focus is very different from a B&M hyper. Just because it's over 200ft and has no inversions doesn't mean they deliver similar rides at all.

Pear

Strata Poster
Those that have been to this park know that Skyrush is also not very dominating on the skyline as it is in a pit and barely visible from the parking lot. This coaster will definitely be big and imposing on guests which should be great.

I hope the ops are nice enough to let people ride with 2 clicks on the restraints. Doing that every time on Mako made the ride so much better.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Does the restraint not just close further at the bottom of the drops? Does that mean you spend the ride keeping the restraint away from you?

Pear

Strata Poster
Yeah you have to hold the restraint up but it's worth it for the crazy airtime you get. I rode both Mako and Apollo's Chariot with 2 click retraints and I was standing on every airtime moment.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Here is an awesome NL2 recreation of the coaster by AmusementInsider (not to be confused with Amusement Insiders), and is the most accurate one I've seen yet:-
Onride POV starts at 1:03.

EDIT:- I've just realized that the "back" portion of the out and back coaster is actually behind/to the left side of the "out" portion of the coster, so the hammerhead turn on this coaster is virtually identical to Mako's, just a mirror image.

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
I hope the ops are nice enough to let people ride with 2 clicks on the restraints. Doing that every time on Mako made the ride so much better.
Did having the restraint loose really affect the ride that much? Because I seem to remember Mako being sublime even with a tighter restraint, although I did admittedly last ride it 2 years ago.

Out of interest, do you guys reckon that non-enthusiast visitors to the park will prefer this to Skyrush, as from what I can tell, Skyrush is a ride that enthusiasts definitely seem to like more than non-enthusiasts? Or am I completely wrong?

Matt N

CF Legend
I'm sure we won't lose much, if any, airtime at all; I couldn't even notice Mako's trim when I rode it! Also, the trim didn't look to shave off much speed, if any speed at all in that rendering, so I'm sure that hill will still have awesome airtime!

Also, that rendering portrays the ride as having no MCBR and a Swarm-style brake run, which is interesting, in my opinion, as B&M hypers normally have an MCBR.
P.S. I am aware that the rendering is fan-made.