What's new

Hersheypark | Chocolatetown | 2019/2020 Park Expansion

Pear

Strata Poster
Look at the lift and drop shaping. They're not indicative of a giga. The drop shaping mimics Mako more than Fury and there's no box spine.

Also anyone else see the weird supports on the turnaround

Screenshot_20181003-124432_Discord.jpg

Screenshot_20181003-125507_YouTube.jpg

Snapchat-1920953556.jpg

Looks like it does a weird reverse bank at the top. Would be cool if it was an inversion, but it's B&M

Last edited:

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
I honestly did NOT think they would go with this. But it sounds really great, I’m sure they won’t have to much of a problem with marketing! A new coaster is always great!

Ethan

Strata Poster
I'm still confused as to why they're getting another hyper, but I'm at peace with it. This expansion actually looks nice I'd say! Very open, clean and modern.

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Loving how the video just casually zips around the area without paying any attention to the humongous coaster in the background. Then, when it finally does, we only get a brief blurb of the same duration as the ice cream parlor, before we quickly move on to the restaurant ...with a patio! The video treats the coaster as if it's no more interesting than the new shops and stalls, even the fountain gets more direct exposure. It looks like a great fountain, of course, but it's clearly not meant to be the main attraction. Still, I really like that the video seemingly doesn't care about that at all.

Pear

Strata Poster
Loving how the video just casually zips around the area without paying any attention to the humongous coaster in the background. Then, when it finally does, we only get a brief blurb of the same duration as the ice cream parlor, before we quickly move on to the restaurant ...with a patio! The video treats the coaster as if it's no more interesting than the new shops and stalls, even the fountain gets more direct exposure. It looks like a great fountain, of course, but it's clearly not meant to be the main attraction. Still, I really like that the video seemingly doesn't care about that at all.

I think that might have been the point. I think they want to start building hype for the coaster then announce that separately. It makes sense since they didn't release any stats on it or even its name.

Matt N

CF Legend
I personally think that from what we've seen, this looks to more resemble a standard B&M hyper than one of the giga layouts.

Also, it might interest you all to know that according to RCDB, the ride will feature the 7-car trains like Mako instead of 8 or 9 cars like most other B&M hypers. Could this be the new way B&M is going in terms of train design?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
One of the most casual announcements of a park's largest roller coaster to date. Sure there's evidence out there already for permits on a 220 ft. coaster... but why? You already have one of the world's best hyper coasters, and Steel Curtain already claims 220 ft., which wouldn't even make it the tallest roller coaster in the state.

It's a great looking roller coaster, and a solid addition regardless. But wouldn't optics be better going for the full 300 ft.?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
How do we know that the height of the coaster is 220ft though? The park didn't release any official stats, and the fact that the lift structure looks like Mako's doesn't necessarily mean it isn't a giga, renderings aren't always accurate. It seems like every other place on the internet but us thinks it's a giga, so it will be interesting to see how it pans out. And do they specifically say tallest, fastest and longest in park? For all we know it could mean state or more...

Pear

Strata Poster
I'm sorry but how can you look at that layout and think B&M would do that for a giga at all.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
^Giga doesn't necessarily mean different layout, it just means height. Look at Raging Bull for example. That is completely different to most hypers. Due to the fact we have only seen 2 B&M gigas built, I don't see why they can't go for a hyper-like layout, especially for the fact that they are both listed under the same model of coaster on B&M's website.

Matt N

CF Legend
I personally think that the layout more resembles traditional B&M hyper than giga. Also, I might be completely missing something here, but why would the park file a 220ft height waiver and then build an attraction 80ft or more taller? Surely it wouldn't be allowed, but I'll admit that I know very little about that type of thing.

Also, the only hyper-style giga coaster (not sure if that's the right name for it or not) that I know of is Steel Dragon 2000, which was manufactured by Morgan and apparently cost a lot of money (I heard $52millionUSD/around £40million somewhere.)

But I'm open to surprises! Besides, I'm sure this will be an outstanding ride even if it doesn't claim any Pennsylvania records; size isn't everything, in my opinion!